Sign in to follow this  
diesel cowboy

New toy. Not a horse but its red

diesel cowboy

Bought this yesterday from a Cub Cadet dealer friend of my dad's. I was there droping off some parts and this was sitting in the corner of the yard. I asked about it and he said I could have it for $50. Could'nt get the money out fast enough. It's a Cub Cadet 382 gear drive. There wasnt many of the red ones made and after 30+ years theres even fewer left in any condition. This one is in really good shape. It just needs a good cleaning and going over to make sure everything is in good shape. Then I plan on giving it a good waxing and a new seat and shifter knob and take it to the shows. I'm sure I'll use it for mowing from time to time as the little ones did a nice job of cutting. It just takes forever. When the storm is over I'll get better pictures of it. For now here's the only one I have. Stewartpost-6402-0-13692300-1360344988_thumb.jp

SousaKerry

Better red then that dang ugly yellow :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Sousakerry2

chris11

That was a good deal, i have the 582 its alittle bigger , great tractor. paintedwheelhorse048.jpg

Rock farmer

I'd say that's a sweet deal! I wouldn't have passed it up even if it was yellow!

Joe

Jake Kuhn

Awesome deal and nice tractor! :handgestures-thumbup: I've never seen one of the red ones that was a vertical shaft before. ~Jake

KC9KAS

Looks and sounds like a good deal!

Keep us posted on your progress.

diesel cowboy

Better red then that dang ugly yellow :handgestures-thumbupright:

True but even yellow is still better than the green ones

That was a good deal, i have the 582 its alittle bigger , great tractor. paintedwheelhorse048.jpg

I thought it was. Thats a nice setup. I have a 582 also but mines stock

I'd say that's a sweet deal! I wouldn't have passed it up even if it was yellow!

Joe

I thought so too. And I'm on the look out for a yellow one too. Just to have a pair

Awesome deal and nice tractor! :handgestures-thumbup: I've never seen one of the red ones that was a vertical shaft before. ~Jake

Thanks. There wasnt many of them made to begin with as IH had only started making a lawn tractor a few years before that. International started with the red paint on the garden tractors in 1980 when they unveiled their 85 series farm tractors so the whole line of small to big would match and called it "America's Farming Heritage Comes Home". Then when mtd took over the cub cadet line in 1982 the Cub Cadet dealers got them in the yellow/white paint and the IH ag dealers got them in red untill IH went out in 1985 and that particular body style on the lawn tractors was replaced with a different one.

Looks and sounds like a good deal!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks. I will. Just going to have to be after this storm as I never took it out of the truck and now both are burried in a snow drift at work were I left it out of the way
  • Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I like it! There is a big following of Cub Cadet's here in NC. Thats a good thing for us NC Wheel Horse guys.

I have a CC 1650. It has a snow blade on the front that works with the hydro system. Good luck with yours.

diesel cowboy

I like it! There is a big following of Cub Cadet's here in NC. Thats a good thing for us NC Wheel Horse guys.

I have a CC 1650. It has a snow blade on the front that works with the hydro system. Good luck with yours.

Thanks

Here's some more pictures of it. Finally got it dug out of the back of my truck after the snow storm. After looking it over it seems to have had a hard life, but was wll taken care of. It had a short block put in at one time and a new steering arm not too long ago as it looks to have newer black paint on it instead of yellow or red. The plan is to get it running and get the few missing minor pieces for it and then go through the deck. The deck is rusty as can be seen in the pictures and is most likely starting to rot out underneath like they all did. Going to sandblast it and repaint it. The spindles need a good looking over as they were a weird design. The shaft and pulley look like a starter drive instead of being held on with a key and bolt like the bigger ones have. They get worn out badly if there not greased regularly and the last time I had to get a shaft for a customer it was almost $100.post-6402-0-28468800-1360728354.jpgpost-6402-0-12027200-1360728376.jpgpost-6402-0-97198000-1360728370.jpgpost-6402-0-13033300-1360728363.jpg

Ken B

Nice score there. Back in my Cub Cadet days I had a Spirit of 76. Wish I still had that one, it was MINT.

Wheel-N-It

No way I could pass that up for $50 either. Good score :thumbs2: