Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

New England Blizzard!!!

Brrly1

Thunder Snow RULES Matt. It doesn't happen very often but, when it does I love it. Good luck to you guys out there. I know you may need it. We used to get snow. Way back in the old days. We are supposed to get a major snow event this weekend..... Or a major rain and Ice event. Or a no show, cuz them clowns down in Iowa keep hogging it all. But them Canadians don't mind sharing the COLD with us.........Be safe everyone..........

6wheeler ya need to watch how we talk about people from Iowa. I just happen to be one of them. I might live in Ohio for the last 18 yrs but still protective of my home state. Watch who you call clowns

mattd860

Here's some quick pictures of the day

0209130814a_zps0b8b0f36.jpg

0209130823_zpsfe1370d0.jpg

• Like 6

Wheel-N-It

62 and sunny today in SC. If ones of you guys could setup a live feed so we could watch the snow removal as we sit in the lawn chair soaking in the rays that would be great!

We didn't have lawn chairs at Paris Island(?).

I'd like to be in one now that the drive is plowed, salted, frozen solid. The sun is shining so we can see the drifting from all this sub-zero wind chill.

Bah...humbug. :smile:

Wow, big difference between New England and North Carolina! I would have enjoyed trying my hand at running a snowblower. I've never done that before. I spent the day sawing up a big pine tree that fell in my front yard Wednesday night. Darn Pine Beetles got into it and damaged the tree about 20 feet off the ground. We had alot of wind come through here that broke the tree at its damaged spot. I finished cutting the tree down and then sawed it all up and hauled it away. Total length of the tree was about 60 feet. Although not T-shirt weather, it was 55 degrees and Sunny here today.

copperhead

I spent a few hours yesterday afternoon plowing about 3 inches of wet heavy stuff. This was before the major impact of nemo was suppose to occur. The rest is history..and I can’t say I’m sorry to see it go.

I ventured back out at 8 Friday night. It’s hard to say how much snow we actually got considering everything changed to rain for about an hour around 10. Again, the snow was wet and heavy. I have a large square parking area that makes finding a place for the snow a challenge. I was forced to back up over the snow and push it to cleared area that I managed to carve out on the lawn. I was basically covered in a sheet of ice. About 6 branches of the neighbors tall arborvitaes weighed down by the ice and snow didn’t help matters. By 11:30 I had had enough. Probably got 80% of the driveway done.

When I arose this morning I was greeted by probably 15+ inches of snow. At least it was the fluffy stuff. Still, I spent another 6 hours plowing, shoveling and cleaning the Jeep off. I will say if I hadn’t plowed really wet stuff the night before there was no way I’d have been able to clear my driveway today. I went through about 3 tanks of gas and worked the C-100 hard. But it never missed a beat and amazed me at times how much snow it could push. The weather was playing havoc with my camera, but I did manage a few pictures..

I’ve had enough seat time for awhile.

The calm before the storm..

post-5872-0-11229800-1360459720_thumb.jp

and then...

post-5872-0-24561700-1360460277_thumb.jp

post-5872-0-21395300-1360460288_thumb.jp

post-5872-0-40014600-1360460305_thumb.jp

post-5872-0-86532400-1360460741_thumb.jp

post-5872-0-51686300-1360460749_thumb.jp

post-5872-0-68689900-1360460328_thumb.jp

post-5872-0-61936200-1360460337_thumb.jp

post-5872-0-22445200-1360460345_thumb.jp

post-5872-0-85494000-1360460352_thumb.jp

• Like 4

amard

post-5904-0-46490200-1360470132_thumb.jp

AMAZING! Officially, we ended up with 31.4" in Stafford, CT. I'm pushing 60 and have lived in CT most of my life (3 years in NH; 3 in NY) and I have not seen this much snow in one storm - EVER.

My driveway is 300' long and 40' of it is on a 45 degree incline towards the top of the driveway with a double wide turnaround. I'm driving a 265H with a Single-stage blower on it. I went out last night around 5 and took off about 5" or so. Went out again around 9 pm and took another 6" off. I spent about 1/2 hour working on the end of the driveway where the town plow came through and by the time I got back to the top, there was another 3" on the ground and the winds were really picking up!! At one point, 6" fell within ONE hour!! The most amazing storm I've experienced. Even the Blizzard of '78 paled in my opinion.

The conditions were brutal. I only had the headlights from the tractor and our driveway flood lights were useless because of the intensity of the storm. Between the blow back from the machine and the 40 mph gusts, it was a bit scary I've gotta admit. I couldn't see a thing at times and kept thinking "What if....". What if a branch falls from one of the many OLD trees that line the drive (they often do during wind storms). What if I get stuck and how the hell will I get the machine out. What if I run into something because I can't see a freakin' thing! We live in a rural town so there aren't any street lights either, so it was essentially pitch black. I packed it in around 10:30, for the night. It was getting ridiculous. I couldn't keep up with the amount that was coming down.

I woke up this morning and went out at around 9 and it was still snowing at a very good clip. There was close to 20" on the ground and I went to work while mother nature added a few more inches.

I was totally amazed by the strength of this machine. Eating up the snow and spitting it out without ONE clog. I began to get concerned when my reverse gear wasn't working properly until I realized ice had formed under the pedal and prevented it from being depressed all the way!! Chipped it away and was back in business.

It was much more FUN today because despite the cold temps and blowing snow and despite the blow back, it was LIGHT OUT! Once I got the driveway done, I had to attack the cars which simply meant I had to take the snow off the cars and put it back on the driveway!! Anyway, you can imagine the amount of time it took to clean everything up. Here's a pic before I cleaned the cars. The 265H sits proudly in the background waiting to gobble up the snow from the cars. The cab is homemade but let me tell you - It may look like *&$@ but I don't know what I would have looked (and felt) like if I DIDN'T have it.

It finally stopped snowing at around 11-12 o'clock. I was back in the house around 3pm - exhausted. All in all, things could have been a lot worse. We never lost power - although the generator was hooked up and ready to go!!

That's my Horse experience with the Blizzard of 2013 in CT!! An amazing machine - even though it has some Toro blood in it!! The C-175 sits in the shed with the plow on it. This was NO job for her.

• Like 3

Tim

i agree with the cab comment

for this storm in particular, it was a must have

i was in the cab blowing for a 1 1/2 - 2hrs not cold

less than an hour plowing without a cab, face was freezing

stevasaurus

Great pictures and stories guys. Kind of cool that this storm has a name and will be remembered as NEMO and not "the blizzard of 2013". :)

mattd860
0210130840_zpse410c9fc.mp4

leeave96

For some reason the link doesn't work for me, so I cut it and pasted it in another window and works great.

No question in my mind that the sound I heard was a mighty Onan! Question is - were you using a tractor with your foot pedal kit?

Thanks!

Bill

Retired Wrencher

I HATE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so FREAKIN jealous right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :handgestures-thumbdown::ranting::angry-steamingears::angry-teeth:

I just to say that after shoveling the roof all day as to take the 2.5 feet off as it is going to rain tomorrow. U can have the snow. show me the palm trees sunny beaches with girls in skimpy bathing suits. now where taking. take care Gary B........

I really don't hate you guys though :ychain:

varosd

great video Matt! didn't even seem like the Onan bogged down, just the snow spilling over the top of the thrower!!! maybe a bigger top deflector (or whatever it's called) like the old Ber-Vac throwers!

MaineDad

Finally got to join this post with some pictures and a video. We ended up with about 30 inches total. The front of the house had less than the back due to the wind direction. There were bare spots and some 6 foot drifts. My wife took some pictures and my 12 year old daughter shot and edited a quick video without me even knowing. How cool is she!

Blizzard1_zps0cd7e8fc.jpg

Blizzard2_zps95b64f9d.jpg

Video link:

• Like 8

roscoemi

MaineDad, you need a cab in the worst way! :teasing-poke:

• Like 1

squonk

WOW Neat vid plus cool music to boot. :wh: Blowers rival Gravely Sno-Cannons! :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :thumbs: :thumbs:

woodchuckfarmer

Your daughter did a fine job on the video. I enjoyed it very much, just wish it was longer...lol.....Wayne

Sparky

Great pics and video Micah.....I think you got a little snow back in yer face tho :eusa-doh: . That had to be cold!!

Mike...........

mattd860

For some reason the link doesn't work for me, so I cut it and pasted it in another window and works great.

No question in my mind that the sound I heard was a mighty Onan! Question is - were you using a tractor with your foot pedal kit?

Thanks!

Bill

Of course I'm using the foot pedal kit. I got a really good deal on one :)

stevebo

Here is a video of my son doing the final clean up pretty much on his own using the suburban 400. I think I need to officially give him his "tractor license"....

th_MVI_7249_zps234500d8.jpg

Tim

steve that video brings back memories. we had the same tractor when i was 6. my dad bought it used in 1968. had a plow and a front reel mower. He had to put a block on the brake/clutch pedal so we could ride it.

dad is in assisted living now, tractor is in my shed. it is the second one on the left.

post-2536-0-60545800-1360548066_thumb.jp

my dad and brother took it apart and painted with Hammerite paint. it's a great paint, just wrong color.

Wyattrrp

This seems surreal now that it is over. I know some are still lacking power which really is a hardship since temps last hit -1 deg here overnight. Today cleaned up the driveway again and busted through the town plowed mound to make a path to my storage barn. After numerous bites, I was able to clear the path and barn front door area in the 33 deg sunshine. Already seems long ago. Sun out. No wind. But what was green grass 40 hours ago now has 24 inches of white stuff! The 312-8 and high chute blower did a tremendous job followed today by the C-125 with plow blade to scrape to the blacktop. Already much of the black pavement is melted. calling for rain tomorrow with warmer temps. Glad it is over. Yes I am ok with this years snow fall and this winters seat time!!!

Wyatt

stevebo

Tim,

Very nice collection you have there.... My son has been riding these since he was 2... On his own pretty much since he was 4

Ken B

I think once the dust settles some heads are gonna roll over the results of the snow plowing in certain towns of CT. As of 5pm today only 25 roads were passable in the entire city of Bridgeport where my wife works. My sister in law lives in Naugatuck CT. where they only got about 20 inches of snow. As of this moment her road still hasn't been cleared. It seems to me that since this storm came in mid February some towns blew their snow budgets on other things. Bridgeport CT has already cancelled school for all of next week!

stevebo

Here in New Milford CT they cancelled school for tomorrow. I traveled on 84 today and they did a real good job there.

Wheel-N-It

Steve, good video of your Son. I would have loved to had a tractor like that when I was his age......... and some snow to push around.