Sign in to follow this  
squonk

A different kind of "what's it worth?"

squonk

I had my 704 at a show last year. I was talking to a guy about it and it turned out he was a retired :wh: dealer. He had about 10 tractors of his own and was thinking about selling them and heading for the Caymen Islands :) He didn't tell me what he had or what shape they were in but he asked me what I thought my tractor was worth. When I told him he was shocked and said "Only that much?" "They don't increase in value like a 57 Chevy?" I know we will never get out of them the $$$ we put in So My question is what are our tractors worth in the real world after we have gotten them running and looking good.?

Edited by squonk

prondzy

You know there are three dollar amounts that factor into the value of an individual tractor 1. What you are willing to pay 2. what they are asking for and 3. The price both of you can agree on. Unfortunately if you want it more than he wants to sell it the agreed price is gonna be closer to the sellers initial price right?

• Like 2

Kelly

It depends on the model and condition, one persons fixed up nice is still a beater to another, but something say round hood not a hard to find model, in good shape sell for $600-800 a really nice one a bit more, up to about $1000 newer user tractors say 90's up bring more but are bought to be used not toys, I have a few good usable C series tractors here I can't get $300 out of, slowly parting them out because they are worth more in parts, because no one wants to pay for anything.

• Like 3

GlenPettit

"Right Place, Right Time, Right Price", plus, "Desire"; Prices can be all over the place.

We all want to buy low and sell high. We usually think "ours" is the best one.

Some sellers HAVE TO sell for whatever reason, their own tractors or someone elses'.

Then there's the desire; do we have to have it, just this specific tractor for whatever reason.

And then condition; original or ??, how was it fixed or painted, minor or major problems.

It's really hard to set an exact price, maybe just a range or a ballpark figure.

and lastly, does the buyer have the money at that time & place.

Ever notice, than when someone gets a Good or a Great deal, they tell everyone; and the better deal they got (lower price), the more they brag, but when they pay a little too much, it's kept very quite . . . but not you or I.

rmaynard

The value of anything is entirely dependent upon the moods of the buyer and seller at the time of the transaction.

TT

Value also depends on how many times you use the word "RARE" in the description. :P

Here's a constant: They're never worth less than scrap price. :hide:

• Like 7

6wheeler

To me, they are worth what I will pay for them. What I mean is? If I need them for a particular job, then I will look at WH's and other equipment and compare durability, ease of use, adaptability, parts supply, repairability and of course price. I use all of these factors, As I am not a collector, I cannot justify filling a shed with equipment I don't use. I see some inflated prices on some of these tractors around my area and I am sure that some folks will pay these prices. I kind of think of them like my motorcycles. I can add all of the chrome and lights and such. But, it doesn't make the bike worth more. I just spend more on it. I don't really see these as an investment for earning a greater return if I sell them. But, more as an investment in my time.The Wheel Horses that I have are very functional. repairable, parts are available. So they save me time. I have never spent more than $500.00 on ANY used LGT and I probably wouldn't. :twocents-mytwocents:

Wheel-N-It

Mike, to me a used (but in great shape) Wheel Horse has more value than any brand new box store POS. As far as monitary worth is concerned, I'm sure we will never get rich selling off our collections because it seems (at least here where I live) like most guys could not care less about working on their own property. They had rather pay a landscaper to make things look nice, and then contract with a mowing company to cut the grass, weedeat, and blow everything clean with a backpack blower. The guys that do mow their own lawn either have a zero turn or a box store pos. These same guys don't care anything about having a tiller or blade or plow or anything else connected to their lawn mower.

If there is a good side to this, it is that Wheel Horses and the other big name classic LAGTs will always be financially within reach for us. I'll take that and feel good about it, and at the same time feel sorry for the guys who would rather spend their productive time on facebook while someone else is taking care of their property.

• Like 3

Save Old Iron

What I have found curious is if you are selling a tractor that you and the buyer agree is worth $200, and you put $100 worth of new tires on the same tractor while the buyer is "thinking it over", the buyer now has the opinion that $300 is too much for that very same tractor. No argument the tires are not what he likes, or if they were needed and he would have put the same set on day one after he bought it, just $300 is now too much. Strange creatures these humans.

• Like 2

546cowboy

I have been refurbishing Wheel Horses for a while now and been watching what others are selling theirs for. I do not make show pieces I make working tractors, The prices are all over the place and depends where you are. The thing that gets me is what some people will pay for a tractor that is rusty and filthy, say $200 to $400. Then at the same time they won't pay a decent price $500 or more for one that has been thoroughly cleaned and repaired with new, oil, wiring repaired, paint and decals that runs good .

If there wasn't such a hassle with haggling and shipping the parts I would make much more out of one parting it out. But I just hate to see these masterpieces parted out. I guess when you get down to it restoring or refurbishing is part of the addiction.

There is another reason people spend way too much for a big store tractor, they can put it on their card. The thing they don't think about is what happens when it breaks. Now I guess I'm getting off the subject here. I have a guy coming to pick up a C-120 this morning so people are starting to buy this year. That's three so far this year. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

CasualObserver

Value is always circumstantial at best. First, everyone who's uninformed in vintage garden tractors gets their valuation knowledge from ebay. They pay no attention to the rarity of a tractor, location, true condition, etc..... They have no basis of understanding on the collector market in a given area. They just latch on to the highest value they see and say that must be what it's worth, also ignoring the most relevant piece of information... whether or not it actually sells at that price.

But when you come down to it, I also think unless a tractor has been purchased at a low-ball price strictly for resale, its hard to sell a refurbished or restored tractor for anything close to what's been put into it for cost, let alone at a profit. You have to remember, we're talking about 20, 30, 40 even 50+ year old TOOLS. Tools that have been used, abused and often left for dead. Just because it's got wheels doesn't make it comparable to a collectible auto. Think of it more like a collectible chicken coop shovel. It's collector value is only relevant to a narrow collector market. For the majority of buyers looking for an old garden tractor, they're looking for a tool to play with in their yard, that's in less-than-abused shape, that they can pick up for a few to several hundred dollars. If they know the value and reputation of Wheel Horse, they're probably the ones looking in the $1k-1500 range for later models and higher HP, but also could be the one's who don't want to spend that $1k-1500 on a big box store mower when they know an old garden tractor and deck for $300 will probably last longer.

It takes all kinds to make the world go around. Just enjoy your seat on the carousel. :thumbs:

• Like 7

squonk

I think with me it's like everyone thinks somthings worth a lot because it's old. There is a guy near me selling a 60's tractor that looks to be all there but he bought not running. All the wiring is falling out of it, there is no battery. Someone threw a spray bomb paint job on it that looks like it was done in the dark. He told me what he paid for it and wanted to almost double his money without even doing anything to it. He wanted as much for it as what I've sold nice looking running tractors with a deck for. This one didn't come with anything

• Like 1

Don1977

I bought mine new 36 years ago and it's worth more to me than I could get for it. Most parts have been replaced, repaired, or modified to as good and some better that original. The only original bearing left on the tractor is the roller bearing in the PTO. The 48" deck is on the forth set of spindles and not because they weren't greased. It was my only tractor for 34 years and has been used a lot.

• Like 2

WheelHorse79

I agree. My '79 C-101 has been in the family since my Dad bought it new on 12/28/79. It will always be worth more to me than what someone would be willing to pay for it. You can't put a price on memories, but neither can you add memories to the price of the tractor. If I really had to sell my C-101 for some reason, I would still only ask for it what the fair market value is. I would not increase the price because of the sentimental value. However, not everyone thinks like that.

• Like 1

leeave96

Mike, to me a used (but in great shape) Wheel Horse has more value than any brand new box store POS. As far as monitary worth is concerned, I'm sure we will never get rich selling off our collections because it seems (at least here where I live) like most guys could not care less about working on their own property. They had rather pay a landscaper to make things look nice, and then contract with a mowing company to cut the grass, weedeat, and blow everything clean with a backpack blower. The guys that do mow their own lawn either have a zero turn or a box store pos. These same guys don't care anything about having a tiller or blade or plow or anything else connected to their lawn mower.

If there is a good side to this, it is that Wheel Horses and the other big name classic LAGTs will always be financially within reach for us. I'll take that and feel good about it, and at the same time feel sorry for the guys who would rather spend their productive time on facebook while someone else is taking care of their property.

Van - good points.

FWIW, I bought a new MTD Cub Cadet lawn tractor a few years ago, I think the price was about $1,600. That was on the low end of the hydro offering they had at the time I bought. The reason I did that vs going with three nice used Wheelhorse (or other color old iron) tractors was that the tractor is for my Wife and kids to use. What they need is a tractor to mow with that starts every time, has a ton of functional safeties, easy to get on/off, and has a simple hydro pedal you push to go fwd or back. Want to stop, take your foot off the pedal. Hands are always on the steering wheel. They love it and I have to admit, so far I like it too.

But....

Will it last as long as a Wheelhorse that's already 20 yrs old, I highly doubt it. Can it do any ground engaging chores or tow a heavy trailer - absolutely not. But it has it's purpose.

Some of these sellers of old Wheelhorse and other color tractors think they have gold and they price it that way. They rightfully say it's better than the MTD CC that I have, but want as much or more for their tractor. Problem is - is that if you are like my Wife and kids, you just want a tractor that starts every time and is easy to use. At my house for that to happen, it wasn't going to be an old iron tractor - yet!

So if you pay a new MTD price for an old tractor, it might be worth it to a particular buyer and seller, but if you are like me, you try to keep the purchase price of an old iron tractor below $500ish so you have some headroom for repairs that are going to be needed. At the end of the day, you might have the same money in the old iron tractor as a new MTD after rebuild/repairs, but plan on it lasting another 20 years too.

In my Wife and kids case, fixing a tractor that won't start, pumping-up a tire that is flat, aligning a deck (or even putting one on the tractor) can be a challenge.

I've probably gotten way off course with my rambling post, but I think I'd buy the MTD CC before I spent the same $$$'s on an old iron tractor (some exceptions of course apply) that ultimately would need repair or even an engine rebuild. This IMHO is what the old dealer is expecting in terms of price - new price for an old tractor.

But give me a Wheelhorse for $500ish plus/minus a few hundred dollars, and I"m a happy man. Anything more than that is not for me - and many sellers that have some of this old iron don't want to hear it as they have assigned their $$$ value vs what the market is willing to pay.

Thanks!

Bill

Tankman

I'm always keepin' an open eye for a :wh: deal. Got to be something I want.

The 520-8 recent purchase was a Pop-Pop 'n Grandsons mornin' outing. Dollar value?

Sell one of my Stallions? Not going to happen. I did give a few away to sons

and now the grandsons are going to need :wh:'s in a few years. Both boys have a lot

"shop time" with the Horses. Dollar value?

I've had plenty of time spent with my sons and daughters joking, "Another Horse Dad?" They're always smilin'. Dollar value?

Guess it's a family thing, :wh:! My two grandsons love their "shop time" with the

Stallions. Dollar value?

This fascination (WHA) with the Breed started 'bout 40 years ago. A friend stopped by my new house, 'bout two acres. I had just purchased a Craftsman rider. Friend said, "What's that?" He left and returned with a round hood, 3-foot RD deck. A house warming gift. I did sell the Craftsman.

"What's it worth?" Y'all tell me.

• Like 1

C-85

What are my 2 tractors worth? Not much to anyone but me, But -

My C85 and C-105 are not very pretty, they are original and in badly need of a paint job. The paint has flaked off in spots, rusted through the paint in other areas. I've thought many times of re-finishing them, but hesitated because the hoods on these also make good work benches! I'm alway setting stuff on them and if I painted them I wouldn't do that.

So my units are not eye pleasing, but i feel that beauty is only skin deep, it's what's under all the cosmetics that really count.

I'd stack either of my tractors against any comporable (except there isn't any, anymore) new tractor, and that means a lot to me!

Not many 8hp tractors can do things like this!

March2012_14_zps98c417ce.jpg

March2012_16_zps58101ca0.jpg

March2012_63_zps4aed41c5.jpgApril2012_84_zps31ad4597.jpg

• Like 2

groundhog47

This is a great discussion and actually I like everybody's comment. Sentimental attachment or trading prospect, is a big factor. Something you've "nurtured" through the years often demands more "dollar respect" than you can ever get usually, but those prospect buy/sell units, post #2 said it first what's someone is willing to pay. Some of you guys have machines that are so fabulous lookin' and the time spent on what you did, it's just almost priceless but the right $ could come along and give new home to Daddy's Baby. No disrespect meant there. My heart pumps faster every time I see the masterpieces of restored history of American ingenuity. Mine is no looker but every one who asked during the neglected yrs was told the same thing 'Oh, it's not for sale", and glory be my WH rides again.

Ok on another what's it worth NOS parts, good googly oogly, recently I sold a bunch here at what I considered fair prices, another site thinks they are gold. Kelly sold me some parts at a very good price. All in we must all have a very very valuable functioning parts collection. I'm still searching #2 to the stall.

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 1

leeave96

This is a great discussion and actually I like everybody's comment. Sentimental attachment or trading prospect, is a big factor. Something you've "nurtured" through the years often demands more "dollar respect" than you can ever get usually, but those prospect buy/sell units, post #2 said it first what's someone is willing to pay. Some of you guys have machines that are so fabulous lookin' and the time spent on what you did, it's just almost priceless but the right $ could come along and give new home to Daddy's Baby. No disrespect meant there. My heart pumps faster every time I see the masterpieces of restored history of American ingenuity. Mine is no looker but every one who asked during the neglected yrs was told the same thing 'Oh, it's not for sale", and glory be my WH rides again.

Ok on another what's it worth NOS parts, good googly oogly, recently I sold a bunch here at what I considered fair prices, another site thinks they are gold. Kelly sold me some parts at a very good price. All in we must all have a very very valuable functioning parts collection. I'm still searching #2 to the stall.

I think what some of my IH Cub Cadet Brethren do is settle on one or two or three "go to" tractors and keep one extra in the shop just to work-on/refurb to some degree. They just enjoy re-working their tractors, the conversation about them that goes along with it, the bits and pieces of history and trivia of the tractors and learning about them in general. When they finish a tractor, it goes up for sale. If it rates higher than their present "go to" tractor, they keep it and put the "x-go to" tractor for sale. I doubt they make any $$'s on it, but it is a very interesting hobby.

So yes - I would agree (in some situations), if the right $$$'s came along a tractor might be sold, but I kind of like the idea of keeping a set number of tractors (in my case that will fit in the buildings I have) and one extra to tinker with and move on down the road when finished.

Whmaverick

I enjoy my tractors. I got show and workers. Friends have wanted workers so I have put "packages" together at different times and sold them, I guess I may have come out ahead but wasn't out to make money on them. Also got some stuff on CL for sale. Won't give stuff away but if a guy makes the effort to come look at the item I usually about let him have it for nothing. I enjoy making my tractors as perfect or close to original as I reasonably can. It does cost sometimes other times it just takes some effort. I don't expect to ever cash in on my efforts just do it cause they bring me pleasure mostly through restoration and use. Value? Never paid over $450.00 for anything wheel horse related. But I have walked away from sellers who wanted $1500.00+ for spray bomb specials or "liquid restorations" I subscribe to a wise quote; " a fool and his money are soon parted"

• Like 2

leeave96

What are my 2 tractors worth? Not much to anyone but me, But -

My C85 and C-105 are not very pretty, they are original and in badly need of a paint job. The paint has flaked off in spots, rusted through the paint in other areas. I've thought many times of re-finishing them, but hesitated because the hoods on these also make good work benches! I'm alway setting stuff on them and if I painted them I wouldn't do that.

So my units are not eye pleasing, but i feel that beauty is only skin deep, it's what's under all the cosmetics that really count.

I'd stack either of my tractors against any comporable (except there isn't any, anymore) new tractor, and that means a lot to me!

Not many 8hp tractors can do things like this!

March2012_14_zps98c417ce.jpg

March2012_16_zps58101ca0.jpg

March2012_63_zps4aed41c5.jpgApril2012_84_zps31ad4597.jpg

Not to drag this thread out into left field, but - those are some nice black hood tractors!

Torino

When I started collecting GT's I made a goal of breaking even if I sold them all. I don't know if I will do that but will come close if they all hang together and I can part with one. If you take your time and do a lot of research (which I think is one of the funnest things about our hobby) you can learn about what each make and model is worth so you don't over pay. If you do that and have patients (which is the hardest thing to do when you are starting out) you stand a good chance of breaking even. Plus if you factor in that it is a hobby and you do have a chance of recouping some of your money in the end, unlike some hobbies where you will never recoup and money you put into it, you can have fun and not break the bank.

855ownerJoel

Ok, here is the answer to me mine are "PRICELESS". In fact I will have a Wheel Horse hood ornament on my casket. At least thats what a friend of mine told me.

• Like 1

Duff

There's just something about these tractors that grows on you as you work with them, work on them, stand back and look at them, and perhaps most fulfilling - when someone stops by and starts asking questions about them. Even if I wanted to - and I don't - I couldn't sell my tractors for anything near what I have invested in them after rebuilding, but that's not important to me. Some guys play golf, some go fishing (well..I'm known to do that once in a while, too) - everyone has hobbies. Mine is my tractors, and I'm just darned grateful to be able to share them with this group. :text-thankyoublue:

Duff :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 2

Trouty56

Jay Leno says if you can make money on a restoration you are doing it wrong. I think we all know what he means.