Torino

Does any use a lift to work on there tractors?

Shynon

I used a kitchen island countertop that I replaced in kitchen. Build a base with wheels on it about 20" off the floor. Put tractors on with ramps, then pull them away, tractor fits perfect.

bth_IMG_4649_zps1025f795.jpgbth_IMG_4648_zps0081144f.jpg

Torino

Here is a pic of my 520 on the lift.  Drove up easily and is steady.  It is nice not having to break you back and knees.  If you are on the fence about getting one I would.  I put some shelving board underneath the plywood so all the weight would not be on the turned up edges.  Thinking of putting some flat steel between that and the plywood.  It seems to be ok with the 3/4 plywood but it's better to be safe than sorry.

post-171-0-68868900-1361226968_thumb.jpg

Torino

Actually I wish I have bought one sooner.  They used to have one rated
at 1200lbs and was air over hydraulic.  You could also get side
extensions for it.  I did some research before I bought this and most gave
it a good review.  It seems the only ones to say negative things about
it never owned one and bash everything Harbor Freight.

sorekiwi

I have a couple of friends that have those lifts for their bikes and they love them.

fireman

I would consider bolting the plywood down to the metal top. If you're working and the tractor and you slip and lean on it hard, the plywood could shift and send it off side. Good idea to put some cross bracing under where the tires will normally rest. How is the tip factor on the base? Does it feel steady when it's at a comfortable working level with the tractor? 

For $299 this is a must have for anyone who spends a good amount of time working on their tractors (or anything else for that matter Lawn mower, motorcycle etc.)! If I didn't buy the one I did, i'd be there it a flash to get one.

Torino

I forgot to mention I did bolt the plywood down.  I had the 520 where the hood was almost eye level and it seemed very stable.  I am sure you could push it over if you wanted to but I was surprised at how stable it was that high.  I think it you use common sense and don't compromise the lift it will work fine for normal wrenching.  If someone is good with fabbing and welding I am sure they could make some metal side extensions that could be taken on and off. 

Marv

Torino,

Thanks for the coupon. I printed it and took it to my local Harbor Freight. They accepted it no problem. Now to get it out of the truck. That may be fun since I have a cap on mine. I like the way you did it.  I noted you bolted the plywood to yours. Did you drill holes in the deck to do that?

Thanks Marvin

Torino

No, I used some that where already there.  I think the holes are 3/8 but i am not sure.  I used wing nuts so I could take the board off and on easily.   If I had to do it all over again I would use two 1/2 pieces of plywood instead of the 3/4. 

That's what I hate about truck caps, they are off when you want them on and on when you want them off.  The lift is not super heavy so you could probably take it off yourself, a friend or a big burly wife would make it easier.

It makes a great work table too.

546cowboy

Just got some Harbor Freight coupons today and they have a motorcycle lift that will hold 1500 lbs. for $79.95. All the reveiws I read were good on the quality. Here is the link http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon.do?main=true&hdr=mag&week=0913&campaign=a&page=0913a-online1.html&cust=00148369731&keycode=1003

I just ordered one and regular shipping is only $6.99 and I can't drive to my store for that price. I live 35 miles from the nearest store.

Added: I plan on modifying this lift when I do get it to do what I want it to do. I think it will make a good starting place. With the price of steel and the rest of the stuff to build it, I don't think you can get the materials for $80.

Edited by 546cowboy

sorekiwi

I have an ATV jack like the one that Lynn linked to.  I actually bought mine off JimD on here.

I like it, but it doesnt really do the same job as the bigger lefts that are being discussed here.  Its also really handy for removing the transmissons.  If you have ever lifted a big block Kohler off a frame by yourself, you will love this thing - jack it up to the same height as the top of the frame and just slide the engine onto it.

IMG_2712.jpg

jb4249

My wife got me a Pro-Lift for Christmas. I can pick up one end at a time, and either brace it or get under half at a time. Right now I have my Billy Goat Brush Cutter up on it to replace the belts. I'll try to get a picture later.

jb4249

post-4029-0-68765200-1362062036_thumb.jppost-4029-0-51395600-1362062051_thumb.jpPictures of the Pro Lift with a Billy Goat up for repair. I have the front supported on a dry wall bucket. Probably not the best solution but not too expensive at Tractor Supply/

Easy to store too

Ted