Martin

C160 wiring harness

Save Old Iron

Dielectric grease on the terminals will have a long term positive effect too. All name brands appear to perform equally well.

I take it my suspicion might be correct ? Greg's doesn't sell in the 100 foot mixed colors any longer?

Save Old Iron

mike, the crimper is great for the female terminals. the male terminals are a different story. crimper jaws seem to be too wide to crimp them without bending the little tangs that are present on each side of the crimp 'area'. hard to explain, i will take a pic of what im trying to describe, but anybody who has taken apart the male terminals from the sockets would have seen them before....

mike, the crimper is great for the female terminals. the male terminals are a different story. .

Correct. Male terminals usually require a different die in the crimper head. Some crimpers do have replaceable dies - check with the manufacturer of the crimper tool. If the die does not exist, folding the terminal ears around the wiring and applying solder to the joint will also give a long lasting connection. Use ROSIN CORE solder for electronics - NOT ACID CORE solder as would be used in plumbing joints.

Crimp connections in this AWG range should be able to support a 20 - 25 pound force pulling on the wire before the wire separates from the terminal. A fishing scale can be used to check this. Lacking a scale, remember water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon - so 3 gallon jugs of water hanging off the wire should not cause separation of the wire from the terminal.

Glad you liked the wire quality. I have always found Greg's to stock top shelf stuff. The only better quality out there has a special rating which qualifies it for use in extreme temperature conditions such as those that exist in an automotive engine compartment.

Martin

Dielectric grease on the terminals will have a long term positive effect too. All name brands appear to perform equally well.

I take it my suspicion might be correct ? Greg's doesn't sell in the 100 foot mixed colors any longer?

dielectric grease is needed on these things. as evidenced from the wiring im replacing, the ammeter terminals especially were very corroded.

didnt ask about the 100 ft mixed order. i was satisfied with 50 ft each of the colors i needed, plus i have plenty for future wiring jobs.

mike, the crimper is great for the female terminals. the male terminals are a different story. crimper jaws seem to be too wide to crimp them without bending the little tangs that are present on each side of the crimp 'area'. hard to explain, i will take a pic of what im trying to describe, but anybody who has taken apart the male terminals from the sockets would have seen them before....

mike, the crimper is great for the female terminals. the male terminals are a different story. .

Correct. Male terminals usually require a different die in the crimper head. Some crimpers do have replaceable dies - check with the manufacturer of the crimper tool. If the die does not exist, folding the terminal ears around the wiring and applying solder to the joint will also give a long lasting connection. Use ROSIN CORE solder for electronics - NOT ACID CORE solder as would be used in plumbing joints.

Crimp connections in this AWG range should be able to support a 20 - 25 pound force pulling on the wire before the wire separates from the terminal. A fishing scale can be used to check this. Lacking a scale, remember water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon - so 3 gallon jugs of water hanging off the wire should not cause separation of the wire from the terminal.

Glad you liked the wire quality. I have always found Greg's to stock top shelf stuff. The only better quality out there has a special rating which qualifies it for use in extreme temperature conditions such as those that exist in an automotive engine compartment.

the jaws on this cheap crimper are fixed as far as i can tell. might look into a male setup later. there is only one male on this tractor. i ended up using a generic narrow crimp tool and carefully got the terminal ears to look 'right'... i couldnt pull the terminal before stretching the wire insulation, so i know it is holding as good as the females. just not as 'neat'...

once again, very impressed with the feel of the wire.

thanks for your input, chuck......

Edited by Martin

Martin

got the harness all installed and everything works. even changed out headlight/taillight bulbs and now have lights too..... but most importantly now the wiring is safe.....

bit hard to photo the harness under the hood stand but heres the rest of it installed. had a + wire to the area where an hour meter would go so i might hunt one down and install it...

post-4321-0-58022200-1361410221_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-60250300-1361410239_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-91036300-1361410254_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-59107900-1361410273_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-46162700-1361410293_thumb.jp

• Like 1

posifour11

Very clean.

Aldon

This was a very instructive and informational thread. Very helpful with parts suppliers and prt numbers. Thanks to Martin, SOI etc who contributed to it.

• Like 1