Sign in to follow this  
Anglo Traction

Cyclone Seeder 93a Overhaul

Anglo Traction

Had this on my list of things to do for a while now, so I thought I'd put it on here as I know one or two people have one of these and they were made in Indiana.

DSC00361.jpg

Found some time to dig it out and have a look at the Geared Spinner drive unit. Very tight to turn initially and suspected it was due to the Axle Shaft rusting and dry in the Nylon Bearing Bushes. Sure enough, after cleaning them, I was able to move the Axle and free it from the Frame, but I had to cut the Spinner Shaft off where it passes through into the Hopper as it was badly corroded.

DSC00843_zps3c185407.jpg

No problem with the Shaft, as I'll make up a new one from Stainless Steel, as well as the Agitator. It look's like it has only ever been Greased once when it was assembled originally, but surprisingly, there is hardly any wear on the Crown wheel or Pinion. May put a thrust washer between the pinion head and the housing, but otherwise just a thorough clean out and new grease will see this good for many more years spreading.

DSC00841_zps301b87e1.jpg

The Hopper is a different matter and needs a few awkward perforation areas patching up. May line it with Fibreglas after to stop the affects of the corrosive Fertilizers and Salt I intend to use.

I'll update this as and when....oh and if anyone needs a copy of the User Manual/Parts List, drop me a PM.

Regards

squonk

I got one of those Cyclones. Still works pretty good. It has knobby tires instead of the tri-cycle wheels

Anglo Traction

I got one of those Cyclones. Still works pretty good. It has knobby tires instead of the tri-cycle wheels

Hey Mike, thats good to know. Your frame may be slightly different then as you have Aired Tires. If there is a Looped bar on the front where the Feed Trigger is, then yours will be a Model 99. The Hopper may be slightly larger as well.

Regards

squonk

Yes I have the looped bar.

c-series don

I have a model 99 does any one know where I can get a spinner? My plastic one cracked and broke and I cannot find one. Thanks

Anglo Traction

I have a model 99 does any one know where I can get a spinner? My plastic one cracked and broke and I cannot find one. Thanks

I can't be sure if the Spinner Shaft is still 3/8" dia, but you may try Spyker Spreaders who took over the Old Cyclone Co. Their Model S60-8020 look's very similar in their Parts Viewer.

A phone call or Email may clarify it. ... http://shop.spyker.com/S60-8020_c_48.html

Regards

c-series don

Thank you that looks like it will work and for the price I will order it and take a chance, thank you!

Anglo Traction

Thank you that looks like it will work and for the price I will order it and take a chance, thank you!

Would be good to know how it goes for you. I checked again and the Nylon Spinner Shaft Bearings are 3/8" bore, so I reckon your good to go. The Roll pin that secures it to the Shaft is also the same size and is Stainless (Thankfully).

Regards

c-series don

Thank you and I will let you know but it may be a while. We are expecting possible blizzard conditions here on Friday night,and I won't need the spreader till spring! Good news is that I may get to use my 417-a with 44" two stage blower for the first time as some forecasts say maybe a foot of snow! I will let you know the outcome of the spreader.