Sign in to follow this  
zeedubbya

Tire Opinions

zeedubbya

I'd like to hear some feedback from members about tires for a 520h. I currently have 2310.512 Carlisle Turf Trac RS on it and while they do awesome mowing they leave a ton to be desired for traction purposes. After looking at many tires I think my best bet is to get a set of ag lugs for the rear mounted on another set of rims and alternate them--old ones for mowing and lugs for plowing/tilling. Should I go same size? What ply? Is there a happy medium of turf and traction? I would like to know what's worked for other members. Thanks!!

leeave96

I run ag tires on my Wheelhorse tractors year round. All of mine are 2 ply. With ag tires and wheel weights, my tractors go like a Jeep - no real need for a dif lock either.

I have read that 4 ply ag tires can give more of a harsh ride than 2 ply, but I also would think 4 ply tires would resist thorns and other things that might give you a flat better too.

I gave-up the hassle of removing and replacing the ag tires for turf tires (along with mounting and unmounting the wheel weights) years ago. I cannot tell the ag's do ANY damage to the yard.

You will be amazed at how well your tractor performs with ag tires.

Good luck,

Bill

wh5208speed

If you are looking for a hybrid between ag and turf tires....I really like the Carlisle All Trail Field

Thad (Ohio)

post-745-0-29123400-1359690220.jpg

• Like 1

whc160

You just need to get you another :wh: . That way you can have one with turf & one with ag's.

ericj

i run ag tires on almost all of my tractors year round. i find they actually tear the yard up less even when they spin than turf tires. and even if you spin this week you usually can't see it the next week when you mow. you will find with ag tires you don't spin as much on hills and such. i also don't run chains with the ag tires on black top. but you will probably need chains on dirt or hills

ericj

Tankman

You just need to get you another :wh: . That way you can have one with turf & one with ag's.

Now, that is the best way to avoid confusion! A :wh: Stallion for every purpose!

I have six mower decks, 4x48" and 2x42", looking for a 12" mower deck. "Honest Hon, I'll be ready to go shoppin' with you as soon as I'm done mowing the front acre."

WheelHorse_of_course

Amen brother, Amen! :bow-blue:

:cool: :thumbs2:

thehorse

I found a set of the all trails but when mounted would not clear with chains.....bummer

GlenPettit

Tire pressure is a big factor; Softer tires for the Summer lawn mowing (8-10#) and Firmer/harder tires in the Winter (20#).

Softer/low pressure gives a softer ride & reduced damage to lawns, Harder higher psi gives better traction (less rubber on ground), and having more weight in & on the tires increases that traction even more).

Soft lugs shouldn't damage normal lawns, but firm lugs on a very moist lawn may spin, dig out grass & leave ruts (that's why the lug pattern is with short lugs that are not connected, like on farm tractors, to reduce soil erosion).