Sign in to follow this  
Indy443

Seat upgrade on 312-8

Indy443

This afternoon I drove to a gentleman's house to pick up my new snow/dozer blade and wheel weights (brand new blade and weights for $135 together). While I was down in his garage I saw that he had a 312-8 sitting in the corner and then a bunch of other WH stuff: tires, chains, more weights, a rear hitch and finally what looked like a nice seat. I inquired about it and he pulled it out and dusted it off. He didn't know what WH it had originally come off, but it was in perfect shape, no cracks or rips or really any sign of use. The seat has the two arm rests and also can be slid forward and back. This is a very attractive option as I am quite tall, and any additional leg room would be welcomed. It looks like it has some type of mounting plate attached to the bottom of the seat. My question is, would it be possible to bolt this seat up to my 312-8? If not a perfect fit, any idea of what it would take to modify it to work? He said he would ask $40 for the seat, is that a fair price?

Thanks!

dbartlett1958

Indy,

Sounds like it could be from a 520 due to the arm rests. The seat on my 416 has the back and forth adjustment which is nice, and I'm sure it would work on your tractor as well.

For $40 it sounds like a great deal.

Indy443

Indy,

Sounds like it could be from a 520 due to the arm rests. The seat on my 416 has the back and forth adjustment which is nice, and I'm sure it would work on your tractor as well.

For $40 it sounds like a great deal.

I'm thinking it is a seat from a 520, judging from the photos I've seen of that tractor. I would really like to find a way to make this seat work for the 312, and I thought the price sounded good. The seller said he was planning on listing up all the WH stuff he had lying around before Spring hits, so I hope I can figure a way to make this seat work before then! Has anyone mounted a 520 seat to a 312 before? I'd love to see a photo!

sorekiwi

I dont have a photo of my 520 seat mounting, if no-one else posts one up I'll try to remember to take some.

As far as I know the 300 series rear fender pan is the same as the 520 one so it should bolt up easily.

Ken B

Does it look like this? if so and its in good shape I'd grab it. MAKE IT FIT..

009-6.jpg

011-5.jpg

Edited by Ken B

dbartlett1958

Indy,,

If it is a 520 seat, everything should bolt right up without modification.

David

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I believe the only way this will be a simple bolt on installation is if you also have the hinged seat mounting assembly for the 520. If I remember correctly the 520 seat bolt pattern is not the same as the 312. You will have to take measurements to ascertain this. Otherwise as Ken B says, you will have to make it fit. $40 for the seat is an excellant price whether it readily bolts on or not.

dbartlett1958

Van is correct. The 520 seat will have the adjustment mechanism, but will need the optional Seat Pivot plate, Toro #112478, along with the R & L pivot brackets, #112744, 112745, along with a few other miscelaneous pieces.

I forgot that I had the Deluxe seat assembly on my 416 and thought the 312 was the same.

• Like 1

Indy443

009-6.jpg

011-5.jpg

Ken B, is that the seat that came on the tractor or did you add it on later? I'm now kind of wishing I had just bought the seat when I was there...it's about a 1:50 round trip to the sellers house and mine. I think I could figure a way to make it work, but if anyone has done this before and can describe their method I would be grateful.

Thank you for the replies!

312Hydro

Indy,,

If it is a 520 seat, everything should bolt right up without modification.

David

x2 I agree with David, it will fit with no modification if it is a 520 seat.

Indy443

Do seats have any sort of ID on them to know what they came on from the factory? I've asked the seller if he'd take a look and get back to me on that.

546cowboy

You can't buy a cheap seat for that price around here. It does sound like a 520 seat alone without the tracks or armrests is $212. Jump on that deal quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 546cowboy

Wheel-N-It

Indy, one thing you will learn as a Wheel Horse person is when good items like this come along, go ahead and buy them unless your gut feeling or experience tells you the price is much too high. Hang in there. It will take you about a year to get firmly footed and educated.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

My D-200 has a seat with arm rests and moves back & forth.....For $40 it would have been mine in a heartbeat!

Indy443

Indy, one thing you will learn as a Wheel Horse person is when good items like this come along, go ahead and buy them unless your gut feeling or experience tells you the price is much too high. Hang in there. It will take you about a year to get firmly footed and educated.

Wheel, that is good advice and it's taken. I plan on retracing my steps and picking up this seat asap.

Butch

009-6.jpg

011-5.jpg

Ken B, is that the seat that came on the tractor or did you add it on later? I'm now kind of wishing I had just bought the seat when I was there...it's about a 1:50 round trip to the sellers house and mine. I think I could figure a way to make it work, but if anyone has done this before and can describe their method I would be grateful.

Thank you for the replies!

You should have bought it. I paid around $80 or so for mine. But then I turned around and gave it to a RS member!

Tankman

Grab the seat and run (smiling).

Most would pay more and not even blink.

Nice find fo' sure!