Sign in to follow this  
Wheel-N-It

Easy Question for Kohler Magnum Gurus

Wheel-N-It

I have a Kohler Magnum 10hp engine that found its way to my shop. It is 100% complete. It is a Magnum with the modular plug (in the back of the engine) that contains two wires from the low oil sensor, and three wires from the flywheel area. It is off of a Wheel Horse 310-8. I want to try to start it on the work bench to see if it runs before putting it in a Wheel Horse 310-8 that is to be my next project tractor.

Here is the simple question;

What do I do with the three wires from the flywheel area?

Probably if I knew what the three wires connected to, I would not be asking you all this. However I do not know, so best bet is to ask the Experts :bow-blue:

Many Thanks,

Van

Edited by Wheel-N-It

Save Old Iron

None of the wires need be connected to anything.

The white wire can be grounded to the engine block when you wish to kill the ignition and stop the engine. Make sure the white wire is not grounded to anything when you want the engine to run.

Wheel-N-It

Thank you sooooo much SOI. You have been very helpful to me over the past year, and I do appreciate it greatly in the true spirit of the word.

So, am I correct in assuming the other two wires are the 12volt dc charging circuit? One positive, and the other negative?

puddlejumper

No, or I think one comes from the rectifier located back by the oil sensor, and one from the oil sensor, on mine the leads from the charging coils go to a rectifier mounting back by the oil sensoer then one wire from there comes back through the blower housing to a quick connect plug for charging the battery, kill wire, oil sensor, and starter solenoid wire. I think without going out and looking.

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

This is what a typical Magnum electrical connection looks like - I'm not sure what you mean by "modular" connector on the back.

0a67dc13.gif

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

"Modular" was probably not a great choice of words. I should have know better and said 5-pin connector.

Thank you once again my friend for your help, and with posting the wiring diagram.

Van

Duff

Van, I've got an M10 apart right now while I'm rebuilding a 310-8 tractor. There are five wires from the engine - two reds from the oil level sensor, a white which is the ignition "kill" wire as Chuck said, a yellow wire which is the lighting circuit, and a black wire with a diode under shrink wrap that connects to the battery for charging. None need to be connected to test the engine.

Duff :thumbs:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Thank you everyone for the help. See my thread in "Wheel Horse Tractors" / "Saved the Saved From the Scrap Pile Tractor"

I bought this from JayInNC, and we put the M10 on it this past Saturday. It Runs ! Yeaaaaaa!!!