Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Onan Head Service - Carbon/Gasket/Valves - Step by Step

leeave96

I don't know if anyone is up to it, but it would be great if someone could post a step by step (w/pics if possible) of how to service (decarb and valve adjustment) an Onan engine on the 520H tractors (and 416H too). It would be great if the instructions could include dis-assembling whatever it takes to get to the head, including engine removal/re-position if necessary, tin removal, etc., and then removing the head, decarbing the engine, adjusting the valves and putting everything back together.

I've got to do this with one of my 520H tractors as it has 400 hrs on the clock and will go after it this Spring and this is going to be a new exercise for me and the Onan is just a bit more complicated than a Kohler single cylinder engine.

If there are no takers, I'll attempt this when I do mine - but it would really help me (and I'm sure others with these Onan engines) to have some instructions with pics for guidance - so I'm not reinventing the wheel or screwing-up something on the engine or both!

These instructions/pics would be a great sticky and given the potential Onan carbon/overheating/valve seat problems and I would think something like this would go a long ways to keeping everyone's Onan powered Wheelhorse(s) going for a long time.

I hate to come begging - but if some would feel up to it and document this, it would be a great help and much appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Bill

varosd

troll on you tube and there is a couple posts of the Onan decarbon method not always a WH specific tractor but can also be Sears/JD/ Cub etc. I'm planning on doing mine in Spring