Sign in to follow this  
brandonozz

Picked up a handful yesterday

brandonozz

I ahve been thinking about getting this for a while, but honestly, didn't have the room for it until I got my garage built. I'm hoping I will be able to get it going with the great members here at RS. I will give you some background and hopefully you guys with experience can give me some advice.

I picked up a '79 D200 (model 91-20KS02) with PTO shaft and 3 point hitch ,48" deck with seased spindles, heavy steel weight counter balance and (YEA!) 48" FEL (model 07 48FL01).

The tractor hasn't ran in about 6 years. The PO was using the FEL when he heard a "pop" and found lil leaking from the rear diff. He found the case cracked on the bottom right half of the case. The tractor has been parked ever since.

The PO inherited the tractor from his father who actually had two D's and collected quite a few spare parts as well. One spare part was a diff that was repaired because it had been cracked in exactly the same way as the one curently under the tractor. The spare diff appears to have the crack silver soldered with a plate covering the motor mount so I'm hoping it was gone thru with new bolts but the PO was not sure of the repair. I understand the bolts were a weak link in these diff - I think the bolts needed to be changed out with grade 8 bolts??

So, take a look and tell me what you think of my find.

Here are my questions I would like you experts to please chime in on as I have ZERO hydro experience. I believe the 10W-40 oil circulates thru the hydro pump, motor, diff and the lift cylinders - is this correct. If so, would the diff being would you flush the entire system of any debris or would the filter in the diff keep the ""trash" isolated in the diff?

I have some questions about the hydro mannifold connections but I will save them for the trans forum.

Thanks in advance for your input!

post-4057-0-81105100-1359315076_thumb.jp

post-4057-0-86208000-1359315262_thumb.jp

• Like 3

brandonozz

Here are the extra parts i got. Fenders, hood, steering with a spare hydro as well lots of misc stuff! These are filthy from sitting in a barn for a looong time.

post-4057-0-69859100-1359315483_thumb.jp

• Like 1

WH-PWR

Great Find!!! Anytime you find a Wheel Horse with a front end loader, to me it's a great find. Keep us posted with your progress.

Jake Kuhn

Nice haul!!! :handgestures-thumbup:

brandonozz

Kinda kicking myself now for not pulling the trigger quicker. The PO had a tiller also and by the time I went back to get everything he had GIVEN it to a neighbor! i told him to let the guy know if he ever wants to part with it just let me know.

squonk

I think the differential bolts used to loosen up and then jam things up but I'm not sure.

Edited by squonk

Wishin4a416

My friend had a D-160. What a beast. He could do almost anything with that machine. I saw a D-250 a while back. Owner said it actually had a Renault car engine on it.

Good luck with your project.

brandonozz

I think the differential bolts used to loosen up and then jam things up but I'm not sure.

I asked this question a while back and if I remember correctly I was told that the bolts first used were like grade 5 and they were common to break and the fix was to go back with grade 8 bolts. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Unfortunately the case was busted in exactly the same spot on both. The PO's dad put a patch on the first case he broke and it does look sealed but other than putting it in and seeing what happens I'm not sure what else to do. Seeing one tractor break two diffs in exactly the same way does lead me to believe it was common. :ranting:

Shuboxlover

Hey there neighbor to the south!!!! If you ever make it up to Nebraska, I have a good used rear end for ya that wouldn't cost very much, OH I also have a tiller, deck and dozer blade I would sell!!!

GREAT find by the way!!!!!!!

otrelwood

when the bolts broke there was no place for the parts to go so it usually broke the housing that is a very common fix to put it back together with harder bolts tach weld the nuts to the bolts and weld the housing back together

brandonozz

Hey there neighbor to the south!!!! If you ever make it up to Nebraska, I have a good used rear end for ya that wouldn't cost very much, OH I also have a tiller, deck and dozer blade I would sell!!!

That is good to know and I very well might take you up on your offer. We are a little West of the "Mainstream Wheel Horse Enthusiast" aren't we?

• Like 1

Shuboxlover

That is good to know and I very well might take you up on your offer. We are a little West of the "Mainstream Wheel Horse Enthusiast" aren't we?

UNFORTUNATELY!!!!

855ownerJoel

Beautiful find. They are few and far between in Wisconsin... Congrats and be sure to post updates.

Tankman

Nice pick up! The D is also on my future list.

Lucky you, attachments to boot! Wow!

JackC

I believe 1981 was the last year they made the D-200, so 1979 would be a later version. 1973 was the first year for the 18 horse version. 1974 was the first year for the D-200. A D-200 with a loader is about as good as it gets in Wheel Horse Heaven.

SNYFIX

Diff bolts would loosen up and jam causing the breakage -- Sometimes WH would cover the repair out of warranty and sometimes not --

brandonozz

when the bolts broke there was no place for the parts to go so it usually broke the housing that is a very common fix to put it back together with harder bolts tach weld the nuts to the bolts and weld the housing back together

Like your motto...I am the definition of disfunctional D right now! I hadn't heard about tack welding the nuts on - that ought to keem them in place. Have you made the repair and if so how did the welding on the cast work out?

Jack, i know your a big fan of the D's and I hope I can be as well..... but I got to get it going first and it may take a while.

I pulled the tranny and ran some oil thru the motor spinning it by hand on the brake drum. Turning the pump by hand will spin the axles. The axles turn smooth so I'm hoping that the bolt(s) and case might be all that is wrong. I'm thinking the spare tranny the PO gave me has some parts missing inside because when I turn one axle the opposite axle doesn't turn the opposite direction like the transmission I pulled from the tractor. Never been inside the tranny so I'm going to need to get to searching posts for instructional help to get me thru.

As far as lucking into this D I didn't even call the PO to buy it .... he called me! (very nice guy by the way) I had posted an ad in CL looking for Wheel Horse tractors and/or attachments and he called me to tell me he had something I might be interested in. I was really just looking for a C parts tractor but sometimes you get more than you expected. Don't be afraid to post ads looking for Wheel Horse tractors as you never know who has one inside the barn just sitting there!

groundhog47

Hello fellow Okie from displaced Okie in La. TEW may have some parts for your mower if rebuildable spindles, believe saw the bearings , idler if frozen, let me know have a new one I can't use. As for the rest of your find sounds great, have seen goodies in your area to Mo. I just can't seem to get to. Was that tiller on Craigs that sold, can't rem 3 months or so saw one that area. Any way know you'll keep Tulsa beautiful when you get it goin'. Good huntin'