Sign in to follow this  
Zuiko

xi series vs 400 series

Zuiko

I have a question, I currently own a 1985 417-A with an 18 HP LinamrOnan engine, runs good. I just noticed a 520XI with a 2 stage snowblower, mid grader blade, and deck for $1500. Sad to say if I buy the XI I need to sell the 417. Is the XI better than the 400 series or is it just a matter of preference? What would be the advantage of the newer XI over the 417-A? Or what is the advantage of the 417?

Thanks

Dave

varosd

a 520XI with all those attachments for 1,500 is a great deal depending on the condition.

All of us will say keep the 417 and get the 520!

others may point out that you already had to repower that Series I kohler with a Onan which can also have issues and now the 417 isn't "stock"

others may look at the 520XI as a Toro only rig not WH.

all depends on how much you are into it. If you repowered the 417...you are into it! keep the 417!! old Red! any pictures of the these rigs!

smoreau

Attachments will not interchange, Both are great machines for sure! is the 520xi liquid cooled or air. power steering or manual? The xi has a lot of great features that the 417 does not. But attachments for the 417 are every ware, the xi are hard to find!, tough decision for sure! keep both! just build a small shed for it if you need to find room to store it!

whfan74

The xi is air cooled. For me, it is a no brainer. Buy the 520 and dump the other. The 522 we have is such a nice tractor and for the price you can snag it for is a real deal. You will like the sharp turning radius, power steering, and ride. I know of a few Wheel Horse "die hards" that own these and wouldn't sell them for anything.

• Like 1

Jim_M

In addition to what Scott said, the Xi is newer and new parts will be available for longer. At that price it would have already been in my shed.

• Like 1

boovuc

Just what "Smo" stated above. The Xi is in many ways a better tractor. Heavy and it could have come air-cooled or with the Kawasaki Liquid-cooled engine plus possible power steering. But formost is the attachments. The attachments for the Xi series are not plentiful since the Xi series didn't have the run over the years that the C-series, 300, 400 and 500 series tractors enjoyed for decades. Many including TT who's opinion I value will say the Xi was Toro/Wheelhorse's best tractor ever made but there are still those pros and Con's.

Your 417 has an Onan onboard and with it that "stigma" of expense if anything does happen to it. Since you have a blower a deck and a mid-grader for 1500 bucks, I would shoot for it and if you have to, sell the 417. But only if the Xi has low hours, was cared for and those attachments for the Xi are in good shape.

• Like 1

Jim_M

On an Xi, I would consider low hours to be anything under 1000. If they are well maintained the Kohler commands will go over 2500 hours with no problem. They don't like to be overheated, keep them clean. But even at that, repeated overheating generally only causes the head gaskets to blow.

Edited by Jim_M

shallowwatersailor

One of the factors to consider is what you have for the 417-A. If it is just a deck, then you may enjoy having the 520xi with those two extras. It is a much heavier tractor and very robust. It has an Eaton 11 just like the 417-A, with the addition of two speed ranges. The 520xi will not have power steering so the weight of the 2-stage blower may be a factor when turning. The blower would be very handy in your parts. Other attachments can be found but it may take a while. For example, I found a New Holland blade for mine about a year into ownership. The plus side to this is Toro built the same tractor for NH for a number of years so it may actually increase your chances of finding them depending on the market area when new. I would say If the tractor is in decent shape, go for it. You betcha!

leeave96

IMHO, it depends on what your willing to live with and your expectations regarding support and attachments going forward.

The 417 will have more support/implements as testified by the Onan engine it.

I've got a Simplicity Sovereign with a Kohler command in it and it is a royal pain in the arse to service if you are going beyond an oil change or spark plug.

The 5xi sounds like a good buy with the accessories, but you will be locked in it from an attachment/support standpoint.

There is. compromise and that's buy the 5xi, sell your 417 and find a $300ish deal on a C or 3/4/500 series later.

Good luck,

Bill

Challenger

It's a good tractor if it has been well cared for and properly serviced. A 520xi does not have power steering. I've had two 520xi tractors and both were more inclined to overheat than the 522xi I have now. In both cases we found the engine was starving for cooling air due to previous owners not keeping the engine clean. The 520xi also seems to have some stator problems with frequency. Check very thoroughly for engine oil leaks as well. From an electrical standpoint the 520xi is more complicated than your 417-A.

I'd think this over carefully. Do you need to make a change or just want to make a change?

Forest Road

I have a 522xi with a loader. It has 1000 hours and still going strong. I had 3 older Wheel Horsesnand just about every attachment. I kept the 314H and all the attatchmente. Sold a 312-8 and a c160 auto. I love the xi! I haven't had any issues with overheating. But every nut and bolt was loose when I got it. Very sloppy steering and only half speed. Since then I've gone over it and tightened/adjusted everything and its awesome!

I say go for it!

Don't be surprised if the blower needs a rebuild. $1500 is still a bargain!

rexman72

I aminclined to stick with the 417

6wheeler

If you need it? Get it. If you want it? Get it. And as was said here earlier in the post, keep "BOTH" of them :greetings-clappingyellow::icecream: . But, on a somewhat related Kohler engine note, and slightly :text-offtopic: . I have a question that is sort of related for the folks that have the 520xi's. I have a Kohler command 20 that I shoe horned into one of my green tractors :hide: . I have never had an overheating problem with it. Could it be the hood design on the Toro not letting enough air flow get to the engine? I work this tractor very hard, and so far no problems. But the hood design is very open to air flow. ZUIKO, because I too am in MN. If I needed it? It would probably be gone already. That is a very good price up here.

wh500special

Go drive the xi and then decide. If you're anything like me (God help you...) you'll lose interest in the 417 as an everyday chore tractor.

The 5xi's are way, way more complex than anything else that ever carried the Wheel Horse label. But Toro really did their homework on these things and they have proven to be very reliable. They have a lot of nice features that you will probably appreciate more and more as you spend time in the seat, most notably being able to turn around so sharply. It makes a big difference when mowing around obstacles.

The biggest deck you probably have on your 417 is a 48". Check the deck size on the xi...it could be as high as 60" which might be a real worksaver for you come summertime.

The comments about used implement availability for the 5xi are very valid. But with those included in that package you're already covering many of your needs. Tillers seem to be the hardest thing to find, but I'm sure if you're patient and willing to drive you can find just about anything.

I've been chest thumping about the 5xi's for years now. They are truely awesome machines.

Dump the 417 and don't look back.

Steve

• Like 1