Sign in to follow this  
dizzo1961

B-80 stuck in reverse

dizzo1961

I have a B-80 and I have never had a minutes trouble with it until the other day. I put it in reverse and it wont come out

rmaynard

Is your B-80 outside in the freezing cold? If you have water in the transmission, it could be frozen. Also, is the shifter loose. If the pivot set-screw has worked loose. the shift ball may have dropped and you may not be hitting the shift forks. I would check for a frozen transmission first.

• Like 3

sorekiwi

I've come across a frozen transmission only twice, but in each case it was impossible to move the tractor or move the lever to "put it in reverse".

First thing I would do is to check the set screw on the front of the gear lever ball. Then loosen it off to allow the gear stick to pull out of the trans.

Looking down the hole into the trans you will see the two shift rails. The forward one is the one for 1st/Rev, and the rail will be over to the right side if it is still in reverse. See if you can gently pry this rail back to the central position with a large screwdriver (slightly rocking the tractor back and forward if necessary).

Hopefully it will pop back into neutral and you can spend your time wondering why it got stuck in the first place.

Check out the ball on the gearshift while it is out, and also the very bottom of the stick as well, looking for signs of obvious wear.

• Like 2