Sign in to follow this  
oldredrider

shifter boot

oldredrider

Drained a 4 speed transmission today on a tractor I recently got. Drained out 2 qts of gear oil and 1 qt of water.

Yes, it needs a new shifter boot.

Have you checked your boot lately?

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Just picked one up at my dealer yesterday. 7.98. Mine was shot.

rydogg

Part number 3577 I get them off ebay for under $7 shipped to my door....I usually buy a bunch at a time since most of the tractors I pick up are either missing the boot or it is nearly gone.

jay in nc

i picked up 3 last week $15.50 tax included. part #3577 support your local dealer.

• Like 1

Terry M

Drained a 4 speed transmission today on a tractor I recently got. Drained out 2 qts of gear oil and 1 qt of water.

Yes, it needs a new shifter boot.

Have you checked your boot lately?

Sure beats three quarts of water and a trace of oil out of a frozen transmission like I had :)

can whlvr

i think some water gets in from condensation,ive had water in some that were cleann fluid that i put in and good boots,and none of the girls spend over night out side,but temperature changes are hard to beat

specialwheelhorse

Had an old wheel horse dealer tell me a very good temporary

shifter boot is a toilet bowl flapper with slight mod.

• Like 2

Kevbo

Some of my trannys had a half decent boot but I did have to replace the one on my C-81 and probably on my 414-8 once I flush the tranny. I got mine off ebay for like 3 for $15.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

The boot on the Wheel Horse manual/Uni-Drive transmission is a BIG DEAL -no doubt about it! As an item of maintenance, and a sign of BIG LOVE FOR YOUR WHEEL HORSE -BUY a NEW BOOT when the old one shows a tear or a lot of wear! And buy one from your dealer if you can as the sell them generally for less than the Toro listing.

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

rojojr13

I pick up a 312-8 about a year ago. I was obvious that it had been worked hard during its life. But, the engine was a replaced and it was in really good shape - K Series. The owner could not get it running and gave up on it and was practically giving it away. I bought it and fixed the "no spark" issue in a hour or so. It had a few other problems that i also fixed but nothing major. It sat for outside most of the time at my house. I have several other tractors and only got this one because of the price. I put some wheel weights on it and the plow and figured that I would use it to move snow. Friday night we got a little bit of snow. I went out and started up the tractor but found that I could not get it into or out of gear. It turns out that there was so much water in the transaxle that it froze. I drained it two days ago and could not believe the amount of water. I was lucky if I had even a few onces of oil in it. Of course the boot is gone. I will be running some diesel through it tonight.

groundhog47

Had an old wheel horse dealer tell me a very good temporary

shifter boot is a toilet bowl flapper with slight mod.

Jim, be dog if it doesn't look like that would work in a pinch. ?patent pending? Some of this new material looks very durable, like pliable pvc, Thanks

specialwheelhorse

I've never had to use one but I'll bet they would be real durable.

I just had to replace a couple goodies on our commode and I chucked

the new bobber in the drawer with other odds and ends.

We just never know when this stuff will not be available any more.

Need aything I might have ,just holler. JIM @ DEE