Sign in to follow this  
HorseWhisperer

953 starter/gen spinning over hard

HorseWhisperer

Up for your pondering I have a 1963-953.It has a fresh battery and cleaned up connections throughout.It's having a hard time turning over the ol kohler.In fact it doesn't have enough to complete the compression stroke without an assist from me.Is it time for a rebuild?are the brushes gone?I have nearly 13 volts in the battery and when I hook my charger to it on 50 amps it just barely acts like it should.

Lane Ranger

Check starter / generator belt for tension and slickness. The starter/generator brushes may be bad and can be changed without too much trouble, Sparkplug and oil ok???

HorseWhisperer

Oh yeah,it runs but it turns over weak.every other slow turn it seams to hang up on the compression stroke(It's that weak) so I just roll the flywheel by hand*assist*Usually when you attach a 50amp jump it wakes these starters up but it only opens this one's eyes!

Save Old Iron

Yep, high resistance in the armature circuit caused by either worn or dirty brushes / commutator surface.

Visual inspection is the only way to go.

• Like 2

HorseWhisperer

Yep, high resistance in the armature circuit caused by either worn or dirty brushes / commutator surface.

Visual inspection is the only way to go.

Thanks,I swapped out the unit with a known good subject same results.I tore down the original from the tractor and found no visible issues.I put it back in and found the problem is my 2 day old battery.It reads nearly 13 amps and upon pushing the start button it drops to 2amps.I shoulda known,it's happened before.Thanks for your help!I am always the victim of overlooking the simple problems!
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger

Yes lots of documented battery problems by Red Square members on this site. The sad shame of it is that you buy a new battery and really don't know if it is worth installing!

• Like 1

TT

I buy batteries from the auto parts store or battery outlet and they load test them before they are handed over to the customer.

I've seen a few that couldn't make it to my side of the counter.

• Like 2

HorseWhisperer

I think I shall make sure they do that in the future.I can't get the three hours of trouble shooting back,but I do know my vintage oil ported starter generator is like new inside!

rmaynard

I buy batteries from the auto parts store or battery outlet and they load test them before they are handed over to the customer.

I've seen a few that couldn't make it to my side of the counter.

I always use Battery Warehouse batteries. As TT said, load testing before leaving the store is a must. I made the mistake of buying a "sale" battery off the shelf in a home center a couple of years ago, and one cell was weak from the git-go. It started the first time but couldn't hold a charge.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

I guess I haven't been saying this enough lately - if you have several pieces of battery operated lawn equipment -

post-2-0-80271700-1358125992.jpg

get one

learn how to interpret the readings

AND USE IT as the first step of troubleshooting any electrical issues.

it will save you a ton of time and frustration and possibly pay for itself on the first use. And never, never leave the auto parts store with a battery that reads less then 12.5 - yes again, less than 12.5 volts across the terminals. A fresh battery in good condition will read 12.5 to 12.6 volts. Do not let the auto counter experts suggest "it only needs a charge". If the battery is reasonably fresh, it will read 12.5 to 12.6 right off the rack.

Sent using my 8 year old Dell GX-270 with a wobbly space bar.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

SOI I did buy a very nice one last year on your recommendations. Now I need to carry it with me to the check out counters! Just kidding but it is a very good device to own if you have several battery equipped tractors (in addition to cars and trucks)!!

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

Save Old Iron

SOI I did buy a very nice one last year on your recommendations. Now I need to carry it with me to the check out counters! Just kidding but it is a very good device to own if you have several battery equipped tractors (in addition to cars and trucks)!!

And why not. I carry a gieger counter with me to the Sushi bars !! :ychain:

• Like 5

HorseWhisperer

It's very good advice.I own one.In my silly defense it was a new unknown runner and I literally just purchased the battery that day so I overlooked the easy.That's why I stood back,took a breath and consulted another opinion.I used to step back and have a cigarette,that always seemed to solve everything.Must of had some smart stuff in them coffin nails but I quit two years ago.Now I get on the internet,cause everything you read here is true!Thanks again for the help!

• Like 1