Sign in to follow this  
Martin

holder ag-3

Martin

my boss at work had a father in law pass just recently and he's been at me to come out to the fil's place to get some of the gt's out there. this old guy hoarded and scrounged just about anything mechanical and ive seen pics of this place and its just unbelievable.

well most of the scrapable stuff is gone now, just the half decent stuff left behind to take home...(not my home though) and he finally got me out there today to look at a wh deck and a blade. both were not something i really want, although i may end up with the blade in the future if i give in. hes also got a ih 682 that may end up my way too, i just dont really have the room. i took a few pics while i was out there today and it looks pretty bare now ( they took away 4 of those large 40+ ft long bins jammed full already).

one tractor i thought was neat was this holder ag-3 that he had there. articulated and looked like a 3 cyl diesel. didnt look that close as i was to busy looking for stuff for the horses.

post-4321-0-75607100-1357966570_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-82292800-1357966603_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-70222200-1357966625_thumb.jp

most of the stuff he had was crap and had been out in the weather for decades, mostly cub, jd and other nasty stuff. there was a massey 12 and a sears 12 or 14?.

quite a few larger tractors that will go to good homes......

ive never seen so much crap in all my life, there were also 2 large barns roughly 40 x 100 full of large tractors, hovercrafts! and all sorts of other stuff, i sort of forgot about the pics after awhile and just kept looking around.........

one of the saddest things i heard today was that the guy was one of those who would never sell to anybody and just sat on everything he had. fat lot of good it done him, left it all behind.........

post-4321-0-40669200-1357966721_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-69869400-1357966747_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-08073000-1357966770_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-69621200-1357966794_thumb.jp

i think i looked at 20+ kohlers today, most were not suitable for the red stuff, bunch of others damaged from excavator tracks etc, got my eye on a kt17 series 2 that may or may not pan out. some of the stuff hes just going to take home and remind me about them constantly until i give in........

heres the only thing(s) i picked up today, some wheel weights for one of my workers, not wh but for $50 who cares...

post-4321-0-02225000-1357966813_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin

posifour11

Just wow. Sounds like playland for tractor nuts.

dclarke

Good price on the weights, Martin. :thumbs: It's fun looking through old sheds and collections like that, I found my 701 because a guy inherited his grandfathers estate and was cleaning out his shed. That's how I got into this hobby.

Sparky

Those yellow weight are great inside weights for Wheel Horses. I have a pair on my GT-1600 (Cost me $100 for the pair). You did good!

Mike............

Martin

yeah mike, he told me roughly where the yellow ones were, and i found them buried in the half frozen ground, soon as i pulled them up i thought they might be the same as a pic of the ones you posted just recently, then the others we burnt off a sears 12 i think it was. he asked me what i thought they were worth. i was happy with $50, so that what i offered, ive seen them for considerably more though.....

Jake Kuhn

Looks like a great place to dig for treasures. That tractor is very neat! I like your wheel weights too!

Edited by Jake Kuhn

Rollerman

I don't see any "crap" in those pictures, just a lot of rusty treasure!

The Holder tractor reminds me of a friends tractor..his is a Pasqualie.

• Like 1

tunahead72

Martin,

I can't say for sure, but I think that Holder tractor is the same model I drove in an orchard I worked at several years ago. A decent enough tractor, well engineered, definitely articulated, which made it ideal for maneuvering into and out of rows of fruit trees. But according to the owner, the company went out of business many years ago, and parts are nearly impossible to find. Which means, for example, that when the main brakes wear out, you have to rely on a hand-operated parking brake that's difficult to reach and very difficult to engage when you're hard into a turn (the lever is located down near the articulation point). Dangerous, to say the least. I could tell you a story about what happens when that brake doesn't hold -- it didn't end well for a certain peach tree, but fortunately neither the tractor, the barn nor me were hurt much. :omg:

Bottom line -- do some homework if you're thinking seriously about buying this one.

6wheeler

Too bad its so far away. I'd take that Holder in a hot minute. I was lucky enough to use an "open station" JD 8010 once and it was awesome. It was a quite a bit larger farm tractor but I would bet it would seem the same. That would be cool. I like places like that. Makes you wonder what made the guy "tick" when you get to look through their treasures.

Martin

I don't see any "crap" in those pictures, just a lot of rusty treasure!

The Holder tractor reminds me of a friends tractor..his is a Pasqualie.

i didnt bother taking pics of any of the crap and i forgot about any more pics after the ones i did get......

i figured you guys only wanted the good stuff that was left. he had just about anything mechanics or electrical that didnt work or was busted in some way. just one of many things, i kept finding dewalt cordless drills and tools everywhere in amongst everything, there must have been at least 500 of them there, the yellow just stuck out everywhere. he used to go around to the repair places and grab all their scrap, bring them home and make good ones out of all the broken stuff. i think you would need to live a hundred lifetimes in order to fix or take care of all he had there.......

that holder was neat, i thought about grabbing it several times, he said somebody else was interested and without knowing what was wrong with it i passed on it. most of the machinery was dragged home from a scrap yard and already had problems. the father in law would drag just about anything home. my boss was telling me he did this for the most part of his life there on that farm. his transport of choice was a18 ft car trailer towed by a beat up 80's s10 with the roof caved in. most of the kohlers i looked at had been left outside and were junk from maybe a fuel pump or oil pan off them and sitting in water or just out in the weather. no wh pto shaft sizes though, short, tapered, or no shaft at all. some of the engines, there were many others, lister diesels, later briggs, an early large wisconsin and others mostly on pumps wouldn't turn over anymore or when they did you could hear the pistons dragging the rusty bores.......

Edited by Martin

Gene_S

Martin I need friends like you have! Lol nice score on the weights!

Edited by Gene_S

KC9KAS

Nice score on the weights.

I don't understand why some folks scarf up stuff and they don't use it, they won't sell it, and they don't fix it...At least make someone a deal that will get some fun/use out of it while it still has possibilities.

There is a fellow here in town that has motorcycles, Jeeps, and who knows what else but won't sell, fix or ever use any of it.

Don1977

Nice score on the weights.

I don't understand why some folks scarf up stuff and they don't use it, they won't sell it, and they don't fix it...At least make someone a deal that will get some fun/use out of it while it still has possibilities.

There is a fellow here in town that has motorcycles, Jeeps, and who knows what else but won't sell, fix or ever use any of it.

I think a lot has to do with the people who try to buy everything so they can make a pile of money reselling it. Offer the person a fair price then he can accept or reject.

What galls me after I tell some the price I'll take is they start tell me what's wrong with it. Then the only way that person leaves with it they is pay my full price. I know what's wrong with it and will tell you if asked. Make me a price you will pay and we will deal from there. I've told a few where the road was and to get on it.

Martin

thought id show the weights in red. got them blasted and painted this morning.

i weighed them at work, the smaller ones are 26 lbs and the larger are 50 lbs...

after they were blasted i could make out the part numbers...

the 26's are cub 351371R1 the large ones are jd M11028M

i dont really care that there not wh ones. just a quick search on e**y, seeing what they bring, im happy with what i gave for them.......

(wish there were more, another set would be awesome!)

post-4321-0-79975700-1358196436_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

Kelly

The solid weights are JD they bring $150 a set, I have 5 sets here right now, the ones with holes in them are Cub, they also bring about $150 a set, I have 2 sets of them, they fit the rear on GTs and the fronts of the little cub lowboys and such, You did very good.

Martin

just got home from work. he found a one bottom plow and a '79 42 inch blade (long frame) for me.

the one bottom was in the burn pile so i quickly blasted it up while at work so it wasnt so nasty.......

the one bottom looks to me to be wh from some pics i found on here but im not 100% sure.

post-4321-0-52152800-1359061502_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-32592100-1359061523_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-24365000-1359061540_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-04566500-1359061562_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin

posifour11

Woohoo!

Martin

have a chance to pick up a ih 682 tractor and deck. i looked at it the first day i was there, average condition, not running, motor not locked up, series 11 kt17, i think the spec number is 24302.

heres the details on the engine...

http://www.smallengi...ngines1086.html

any idea if this would work in a blackhood application without too much work?

i realize the flywheel side is not exactly the same, but is the pto side compatible? i dont even know if this thing is any good, but its available for some of my labor on a k241 he needs to get running on a lincoln welder. the k241 same deal not running but turns free, if the k241 is junk its still a deal.

who knows the tractor might get running without too much work or it could be a pos that would end up in parts.....

any desirable parts on these? looked complete and like i said average condition, looks like its been outside for a while, so im not expecting anything great.....

i really dont want to stray from the horses, but its still red i guess........

Edited by Martin

sorekiwi

Go for it Martin! You can always stack them outside with a tarp over them! :ROTF:

Martin

i think this one would be outside, theres no more room with out a clean up and none of whats in there now is moving out.......

Wheel-N-It

Good way to spend some productive time Martin. I have a set of the 26lb weights on my CC 1650. They average $100 per set here. I got mine for $45.

You are right too about the guy just hording all that stuff and never selling any of it to someone who could use it. He sure don't need it now, and I am glad you were able to get your hands on some of the things you need.

Martin

thanks van, yes this has been good to pick up some stuff cheap, been looking for weights for a while now, just didnt want to give the money that most are asking for them. some wh ones would be nice, but anything will do if the price is right......

back to the kt17, another question would be the oil pan, does anybody know if these engines have different oil pans depending on the application? the singles you have to be careful with, as theres different ones, but im not familiar with the twins.......

Wheel-N-It

Wish I knew for sure Martin, but I'm only experienced with the one in my 417. I do know the KT-17's came in JD's, Simplicity's, Cub Cadet's, and probably some more that don't come to mind right now.

Edited by Wheel-N-It

Moparfanforever

I have swapped the KT Series and Magnum Series around on different tractors and i have never run into one with a different oil pan. Pretty sure the Briggs opposed twins all had the same pan also.

I put a KT on a WH along time ago and seems like i had to change the muffler to clear the PTO stuff and i had to use an adaptor plate to bolt it down. I put a Magnum on a WH and it was the same deal , muffler/adaptor plate.

Here is a link for the 417 showing the adaptor plate ...

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=31-17KE01%2C+417-A+Garden+Tractor%2C+1985&dn=810386R1-386R1036-00017

Here is a link for the C175 , but it uses the plate with the rubber mounts. These engines run real smooth if it is in good shape , so i don't think i would use this if possible ..

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=11-17KE01%2C+C-175+Twin+Automatic+Tractor%2C+1984&dn=810349R1-49R10034-00016

And if you get the 682 and you part it out , keep me in mind , i need some parts.

Darrell

SousaKerry

Martin,

You probably have seen me riding my C-125/175 around at shows, that machine has exactly what you are talking about doing. The motor was originally off a flywheel drive tractor (was told simplicity but spec numbers say it was a cub) Anyways I used a C-175 shaker plate, belt guard, and hoop and it bolted right up no problem. Biggest pain I had was moving the outlet on the muffler so it would not interfere with the PTO.

Someday I will track down a true WH exhaust setup for it but it works for now.

BTW keep your eye out for any Wisconsin V4 engines especially electric start models I need some parts

post-4531-0-18865000-1359395408_thumb.jp

Edited by Sousakerry2