Sign in to follow this  
farmerall

Wheel Horse suburban question

farmerall

The transmission on my 551 won't shift into two gears so something is wrong inside. I am thinking that rust is the most likely cause and that I am going to need to open the transmission up.

Now to my question. Has anyone here put a newer 8 speed transmission into a suburban tractor and if so what was invovled with the change?

wallfish

Did you try turning the drive pulley on the trans while trying to shift into 2nd and 3rd? Sometimes the gears don't line up and prevent it from shifting into a gear. With a running engine on it you just let out the clutch and push it in again and that usually works.

If that doesn't help try pulling out the shifter and take a look at the forks.

farmerall

I forgot to add before that it won't go into 2 or 3rd gear but 1st and R work fine.

I tried turning the pulley and pushing the tractor while trying to get it into gear. When I try and move the shifter into one of the gears the shift forks don't even budge.

wallfish

You probably have to open her up. Don't try and force those forks because they can snap.

An 8 speed will bolt on but modifications to the brake linkage are needed so it pulls the band in the right direction. Also the drive pulley will need to be changed to a smaller diameter, same size as on the original trans

stevasaurus

Have you had this horse for a while, or did you just get it?? Have you had it when it did shift into 2nd and 3rd?? Like John said...pull out the shifter and look in there...you can then try a large screw driver to shift with, but do not force it. :)

farmerall

I just got it about a week ago. Thanks for the shifter suggestion, I will try to pull it out in a fews weeks when I get time again

• Like 1