Sign in to follow this  
Wishin4a416

Sealer

Wishin4a416

What gasket sealer do you fellows use when splitting the rear case and installing a new gasket?

steve k

I use a layer of permatex differential sealer or ultrablack rtv

stevasaurus

I do not use any, and (knock on wood) have not had any problems. Any gasket stuff would work though, the permatex is good, copper coat is one of my favorites for this. I make sure the metal is clean, scrape and wire wheel brush...lightly file any burrs on the outside edges. With these older trannys, sometimes you put it together and something is just not quite right. Much easier to tear back down if you did not use anything. They never used anything when they built them at the factory, you can tell by how easy the gasket scrapes off. :)

• Like 1

rmaynard

I have cracked open several transmissions. I am with Steve on this one. If the surfaces are properly cleaned, nothing but a new gasket should be necessary.

Sent from my MB520 using Tapatalk 2

Rock farmer

I also did not use anything.

There is no pressure in there. so, it should not leak.

If you do want to use something I'd suggest spray on copper on

one side of the gasket. That way if you should have to take it apart again

You won't ruin the gasket.

Joe

Wishin4a416

Ok guys. Thanks!

pfrederi

I would stay away from RTV. Not going to cause a problem with geared transmission but it can cause big headaches in the hydros. Found it all through the system in my D200.

midnight rambler

here is a good idea for you if you want to put a sealer or a sticky sealer on just to hold the gasket in place. this also goes for other applications, 3M glue number 847 is the best glue you can get to hold a gasket in place, gas wont affect its ues either, i have sealed the 2 piece lawn boy gas tank together with it, dont use a lot of it or you wont get it apart, also yamabond is a very good sealer where there is no gasket required,