Sign in to follow this  
Wyattrrp

LED Strobe Light Flashing too fast?

Wyattrrp

Mission Accomplished!

Here's what took place. I used alligator clips to connect the + Battery to the Radio Shack "Choke", then another clip from Choke to the + tip of the cigarette lighter plug. Side of plug grounded to the - Battery with clips.

Off the flash rate was fine at 2 per sec. Started Kohler and erratic flash rate. So I soldered the .01uf Capacitor to the power leads (photo below) and it tested fine at 2 flashes per second both off and running, problem solved. Since the Choke was just clipped to the + I decided to remove it to see it the .01uf was the solution on its own. Removed the Choke and it still flashed at normal rate without the choke Kohler off or running. Decided the 01uf was the real solution on its own so unhitched the clips and plugged the cord into the lighter socket under the seat. Flash rate ok off or running. Problem solved.

8365457049_205fe3d9a6.jpg

The choke from radio shack had a copper wire coiled around the outside and it actually became farily warm while testing. I removed it since it ran fine with only the 01uf Cap soldered in. Never got as far as needing the 470uf "bathtub" so might just have to test that reverse connection, but not on my C-125! Maybe on a spare battery!

Thanks SOI. Your first inclination worked well, just adding the capacitor to funnel off high frequency noise to ground. I had plenty of room under the circuit board so I left the Cap hanging straight from the board, no need for a strip of electrical tape since it hags away from any part of the board. Point of information, the lighter socket was a Walmart special for a couple bucks since the strobe came with the male lighter plug. I clipped the socket wires to the rear light wires under the seat using a small hole in the seat pan so the socket sits under the seat and has a cap for keeping dirt out in non-winter running..

Did I ever say this site is a great resource for sharing ideas and solutions! Thanks again.

Wyatt

• Like 2

Save Old Iron

zuse-1.gif

Makes me wonder now about the points saver addition to the ignition system. The spark energy is greater than a stock points system. The fact the 01uf worked and the RF choke did not suggests the interference was "received" thru the coiled power wire extended up three feet into the air.

Great job Wyatt. You are the man to de-squonk any Kirk wild weasels sneaking into the WH neighborhood.

Wyattrrp

Me thinks maybe You Da Man SaveOldIron!

Have Solder / Will Travel. (Wyatt aka Palladin! for those from back in the day B/W TV shows.)

Thanks to all who participated. Maybe the Kirk Points Saver is the culprit. All I care is it now the Strobe works correctly!

Problem SOLVED!

• Like 1