Sign in to follow this  
artfull dodger

Got the 518h today.

artfull dodger

Met the guy up in Peru, IN today. The 518 fired right up. Hydro feels ok for sitting unused for 5 years. He hasnt worked it much either. Tractor has 1098 hours on it. Onan has very light blue on hard throttle up, he says it clears up once run for a bit. Compression numbers are good. I will run some Seafoam thru the gas to try and free up the oil control rings. Probably a little sticky from lack of use. Definatly has some paint adhiesion problems, but I plan to have it blasted and repainted professionaly, or atleast the hood, fender and foot rests. It came with a blade that he never put on it, so I need the rear axle quick tach mount and the control lever for the blade angle. She will be a nice horse once freshened up and upgraded. Came with nice rear hubcaps, need to find a decent pair of fronts. All the gauges work perfectly, which was a supprise. Here is a pic he sent me. The decals on the hood are all removed since it was taken as he was starting to prep to repaint, but thats as far as he got. Mike

wheelhorse-1.jpg

• Like 1

Sparky

Well good luck with it. Was he happy with the JD or did he try to pick it apart (here a scratch...there a scratch kinda thing).

Mike..........

Kelly

Don't look to bad from the small pic, if you need a axle bracket I have them, I might even have front hub caps I'd get rid of. send me a PM

artfull dodger

He loved the JD, he is a JD guy. He only got the WH to help out a friend. It sat unused for 5 years while that couple was going thru a messy divorce. Then it has sat in his barn for another year or so. He got the blade at an auction, its almost NOS but missing the angle control lever and latch release part. Just has the reach rod for the release on the blade frame. He only got it running and didnt do much else with it as WH are not really his thing. So he got something he liked better, he had a 212 in the same shape stolen last summer off his trailer so this is its replacment. I like Onans and WH in general. I see it as a Hoosier tradition. I have lots of friends in the WH community. Cant wait for it to warm up some so I can start making the horse look good again. I have all the parts located including a rear end, just need to work on raising the funds. Mike

artfull dodger

She has a dirty/loose connection in the harness plug to the key switch. Ran flawlessly where we met up at, but lost spark when I tried to fire up to unload. Got traced down to the plug. Doesnt really have any corrosion, might be starting to break off where its crimped. I will dive into it further when it warms up later this week. I got it to where I have spark again, so she fires right up. Starts better than my buddies 318! Thanks again for all the help guys. Mike

Kevbo

Hey Mike did you have to pay anything for it or did you just trade a JD in return for the 518?

artfull dodger

Straight even trade. JD with deck and snowblade for WH with 48" deck and snowblade. I polished up the rear hub caps, they came out nice. Its to cold to do much else in the garge tonight. They are calling for the mid 50's next weekend, might be able to get some stuff done then. Gonna put the chains on the rear as I need to haul firewood in from the back 40 to refill our garage racks. With the snow in the yard, chains are needed! Mike

WheelHorse_of_course

:wwp: (more pictures that is)

Looks like a great find.

Wheelhorse84

Congrats.

312Hydro

Great trade for both of you, congrats!

Wheel-N-It

OK Mike, you're in it now. You've got to change the hydro oil and filter pronto. Make sure you buy a hydro filter and not an oil filter. When I got my first WH hydro I was advised from here to use Mobil 1 10/30weight motor oil in it. That has worked good for me. You've got to use top quality oil in that Onan in an effort to get another 1000hours out of it. They are expensive to rebuild. I will only recommend Lubrication Engineers motor oil. You cannot cheap out on motor oil. If you do and the Onan fails then its on you. Get your mowing deck in good working order. Grease the spindles. Make sure all the belts on the tractor and mower are in good shape. Grease the bearing inside the PTO. It only takes 30 minutes if you take your sweet time. This stuff is very important. Then you can work on paint and decals and wheel covers. You can actually buy more cool stuff for your 518 then because you are not having to deal with some sort of mechanical breakdown because you didn't do the important stuff first.

I'm not trying to make it sound like you made a bad decision to trade the JD for a 518. I want to give you my best advice now that you own the 518 so this will be a good experience for you. I made a bad deal on a tractor one time and one time only. I learned alot from that, and I spent the money necessary to turn a worn out tractor into one to be proud of. Now I'm trying to give you the benefit of my experience.

I think the 518 is a very good tractor. My friend here (JayInNC) has one, and I love to jump on it and cut grass with that thing. That Onan is one sweet sounding engine. I'd like to have one some day but all my Wheel Horses, and JD 140 and Cub Cadet 1650 have Kohlers, so I'm trying to keep it simple in that respect. I wish you well with your new 518, and Welcome to Red Square.

ONE MORE THING; Marvel Mystery Oil In The Gas 1oz MMO per 1gal gasoline ALWAYS

artfull dodger

Yeppers, being a professional small engine mechainc, I am well aware of the maintaince needs of the Onan engines. I am swapping out the rear end to a 1100 series Eaton set up in the next couple weeks, and yes it will have all new fluids and filters. The engine will get its oil changed and filter here shortly as well. Mike

• Like 1

546cowboy

The thing about trades is that you are happy with the deal. Someone may think you got the lesser on the deal but you're the one who got what you wanted. :auto-checkeredflag:

leeave96

Yeppers, being a professional small engine mechainc, I am well aware of the maintaince needs of the Onan engines. I am swapping out the rear end to a 1100 series Eaton set up in the next couple weeks, and yes it will have all new fluids and filters. The engine will get its oil changed and filter here shortly as well. Mike

Nice tractor!

FWIW, if there isn't anything wrong with the tranny you have now, you might consider running it until it gives up the ghost and then do the swap and keep the 1100 on the shelf. This way, you have more potential tranny hours total as you work the tractor over the years.

Good luck,

Bill

artfull dodger

Thats kind of the plan, keep the 1100 rear end on the shelf till the one in it gives up. Right now the rear end is a bit sluggish till things warm up. but the tractor has been sitting for almost 6 years with little to no use. RIght now I have the Onan off the tractor as the oil drain was floppy loose where it went into the block, causing an oil leak and leaving the whole mounting plate an oily mess. To cold to fire up the pressure washer unfortunatly, but I scrapped off the oily good with my putty knife as best I can. I will attack it again with the power washer and degreaser this spring. I checked the front of both jugs, they are clean, just the bottom of the crank case is a mess. I can see why the rear cylinder tends to run hot, man its boxed in back there. Definatly gonna mod the belt cover! I have a feeling this Onan is off a 520 and not original to the tractor. It has a vaccum line coming from the aircleaner housing and it goes no where, was just tucked down next to the engine tin work and the console. I know the 520 had more gauges than the 518. That said, when I fired her up to move her this morning, didnt even take two crankshaft revolutions to fire up! Mike

artfull dodger

From what I am told, you shouldnt use the eaton 700 hydro for "ground engaging" work. Well this old girl will be pulling my little 6" moldboard plow at the fall plow days if all goes to plan. Plus moving any snow we may get. I do have most of the parts found that I need, still want to get the chrome muffler heat shield from a 520 and a better hood for it. Would love one with correct decals on it, as it may be awhile before she makes it to the paint shop. I am unemployed right now and lack to funds to open my own repair shop. I am in school to become a auto/heavy diesel truck mechanic. I am hoping to get in somewhere as a grease monkey this spring. I am thrilled with the tractor thus far. Just the cold weather slowing down getting the old girl on her feet. One rear tire isnt holding air, other one is staying up pretty good. Tires look good, very little dry rot. Mike

Wheel-N-It

I definetly wish you much success with your 518, your education, and of courese landing a good job :)

Jake Kuhn

Nice tractor! :handgestures-thumbup:

artfull dodger

Thanks Wheel-N-it, it will all lead to bigger and better things. My buddy, who is a die hard JD person, really likes the 420lse, I have a feeling if he comes accross one, it might replace his 318. He grew up with Wheelhorses so he is partial to them. He likes my 518 and also cant wait to see it refurbished. I got the oil leak stopped and the engine bolted down tight, the base plate was loose so while I had the engine off to tighten the oil drain piping, I tightened the base plate down. I will be going up to Plymouth, IN on Wed afternoon to pickup some parts, complete Eaton 1100 rear end with pump, front hub caps, steering wheel cap, and a snowblower rear bracket. and I am sure we will look at other stuff. Thanks guys. Mike

decksetter

Awesome, sounds like you got a good tractor! You can't beat a good running Onan.

artfull dodger

Is there a replacable bushing at the top of the steering shaft? There is wee bit of wobble at the top thats a bit annoying. Looks lke its just the normal pin that retains the wheel to the shaft, along with the normal rust!

artfull dodger

Got her fired up today. Got her fired up again today, seem to have cured all the oil leaks now. Definatly has a bit of blow by, very faint from the breather tube, but a nice cloud when you rev the throttle. He said the compression numbers were within spec but didnt tell me the exact numbers, and the buddy that borrowed my compression gauge never returned it. Sure starts easy and runs excellent. Now the debate whether to run it for awhile and just keep an eye on oil level while running some seafoam thru the gas to see if the oil rings are stuck from sitting or if it just gets worse, then we are talking an overhaul, which I cannot afford right now anyways, or for the next year or two. There is no liquid oil up the breather or oily residue for that matter, just a very slight vapor, you really have to look hard to see it, when running. The block plug at the pto side of the came was loose and leaking oil, I have a spacer clamping it down now between the plug and the muffler/pto control mount. I have never overhauled an Onan, done everything else but never had to deal with the plug. Does it just hammer in like a freeze plug on a small block chevy? It was rattling back and fourth as the crankcase pressures changed. Locking it down stopped the leakage of oil there. Might have to have Dave May over near Marion rebuild it for me, he has a source for Onan parts way cheaper than I can get them. Probably wont happen till 2014 at the soonest, gonna have to mow like she is for now. Mike