Sign in to follow this  
JWilkins

Help! 1969 Raider 10 Transmission Problem?

JWilkins

Hi All,

I was blowing snow this afternoon and at the end of a run I shifted into reverse and nothing happened. The horse is now dead in all forward & reverse gears in both high and low range. I checked the drive belt and PTO and there are no issues there. Prior to this there was no grinding noises or issues what so ever so it appears to be sudden failure.

Is there any obvious things to check before I start panicking about tearing the transmission apart? Are there any shear pins or simple points of failure? In the event that I do need to get inside the transmission, is it even possible to get parts?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Jeff

TT

Check the woodruff keys at the wheel hubs.

If you don't have an "assistant" (to watch), draw a line straight across the end of the axle and hub face (both sides) with a marker, paint pen, crayon, etc., and briefly try to move the tractor.

Look at the line you drew across the hubs. If it is no longer straight across, the key is sheared.

• Like 1

Rock farmer

There is a shear pin on the hi -lo shifter.

If that sheared, you may be stuck in neutral.

Joe

jay in nc

i aggree with TT check the hubs , only one has to have slipped . it happened to me several years ago plowing snow with my 69 raider 9. KPINNC. noticed the hub was turning but not the axles. i bought another trany but never installed it. the tractor was sidelined for 7 or 8 years for a woodruff key.

post-4393-0-49391000-1357429875_thumb.jp

Don1977

It could also be the key sheared in the transmission drive pulley.

JWilkins

Thanks for all your suggestions. The winner? - woodruff key on the right axle. Unfortunately it also took a large piece out of the wheel hub so I will need to replace it. Does anybody know where I might buy a replacement wheel hub (P/N 6465)???

Cheers,

Jeff

TT

Check with RedSquare member Kelly - http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/93-kellys-tractor-salvage/

or jdog_kustoms - http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/71-jdogs-horse-ranch/

There's also several on eBay - and they are also still available new from Toro if you like to spend money. (P/N 105763-03)

Note: Your Raider should have 1 1/8" axles, so make sure you get the correct hub.