Sign in to follow this  
fireman

Guess what's in the crate!

VinsRJ

Thats a great score Jeff...

Between you and Steve there's plenty "In Stock", LOL!

hm12460

I have been waiting for this for over a month. Originally the seller didn't want to ship it. I stayed persistent and finally got them to do it. I'll let three guesses go by then I'll show and tell. (No telling Steve!)

post-1626-0-18178700-1357241934_thumb.jp

Where and how did you find it?

fireman

It was on Ebay listed in the stationary engine section. There was no mention of Wheel Horse, Pond etc. in the listing. I was looking for some parts for the engine and this came up in the search. The magneto alone for this engine sells for between $90 and $150. When I saw this I knew I had to have to have it. The listing stated "pick up only". I contacted the seller and after 3 weeks of begging, the owner caved and found a shipper.

fireman

So I pulled it out of the crate today and got it up on the work bench. Opened up the oil fill which looks right into the base pan. The oil was clean like new, but smelled really old. I drained that all out and filled it with Marvel Mystery Oil. Poured a little bit down the spark plug hole also. I spun the rope start sheave for a few minutes to get the mystery oil through the oil pump and get everything inside coated. Removed the magneto cover and ran some emery cloth between the points. I put the spark plug back in and hooked up my spark checker. Wound up the rope and gave it a pull. OMG! It had spark and the compression nearly tore my arm off. It has way more compression than the engine in the Senior. I started to wipe the dust off and what was underneath has me really excited. There's almost no paint missing anywhere. There is no oil stains anywhere (the oil below the magneto is mystery oil that dripped out through the carb). I removed the oil bath air cleaner and the inside is like new. There has never been any oil in there and the filter material in the top is clean and new. I shined a light down the cast metal tube that supports the air cleaner and it also looks clean and new. The red and white stop button on the kill contact on the magneto doesn't even have any wear on it. It doesn't look like this engine has ever been installed in anything. It looks like it has shelf and storage rash but that's about it. With the condition of the engine and amount of compression it has, I'm beginning to think this is a NOS engine. Check out the pics and let me know what you guys think.

DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0021.jpg

DSCN0023.jpg

DSCN0026.jpg

DSCN0027.jpg

DSCN0025.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

Kelly

I think you scored big on this deal, is it going in the senior???

Ken B

Are you still going to fire it up if you think its NOS?

Wheel-N-It

Are you still going to fire it up if you think its NOS?

I agree with Kelly. I too think you scored big on this purchase.

So if it is NOS, are you going to start it??? I know I would.

Kelly

I'd use it, you know it will just collect dust if you don't, and you will never hurt it if it's in that tractor.

fireman

I am definitely going to start it. Tomorrow I am going to spin the rope sheave for a few minutes again to pump the mystery oil through the pump some more. Next I will drain that out and pour in some new 30 weight oil along with a little fresh mystery oil. I'll put some gas in the tank along with some lead additive and see if I can get it to fire up. If it does fire i'll let it idle for 15 or 20 minutes to seat the rings and let everything get warm slowly.

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1

Ken B

You da man Jeff.

WheelHorseSteve

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

fireman

Well there's more credence to the fact that I think it's an NOS engine. I had to pull the carb apart because gas was pouring out of it when I opened the petcock on the tank while getting ready to start it. The inside of the carb was like new. There was no signs of fuel ever being anywhere inside. I made sure the float and needle valve were working properly and re-adjusted the external adjustments per the manual. Put it back together and re-installed it back on the engine. Opened the petcock on the tank and made sure fuel was no longer leaking from the carb. Pulled the rope starter a few times to no avail. Removed the spark plug to see if it was wet. Had some of the mystery oil still on it. Cleaned that off and sprayed it with carb cleaner. Then sprayed a little carb cleaner down the spark plug hole and re-installed the plug. Wrapped the pull start and gave it a yank. She fired off and runs great. No smoke or funny noises. I let it run for around 15 minutes at a low idle.

th_Wiconsin.jpg

• Like 1

Martin

i know this word is really overused, but that engine sounds awesome

what a find!!!!

stevebo

Perfect Jeff, thanks for getting her running for me. Drop it off anytime you want... lol-saweeet !!

Ken B

Wow! This just proves that good things really do happen to good people. I'm happy for you and she runs like new!

Wheel-N-It

I believe it but, yep, Unbelieveable.........................

Thank you greatly for the video of it running!

bowtiebutler956

Very, Very Nice!! That old engine runs fantastic. :text-datsphatyo: Thanks for the video! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

jdog_kustoms

jeff do u have a manual for theis engine i might have one ill have to look it is nos came from an old horse dealer ill hook u up u pay shipping i can look this week

fireman

I do have the manual. I can email it to you.

puddlejumper

Hey guys, theres a AEN here close for sale,supposedly ran ayear ago with no smoke. It has a gear reduction on it which I assume could be removed for our use. Just curios what its really worth and if anybodys interested. If you guys are serious I could do some legwork.

fireman

I'm all set but thanks!

woodbird007

Nice to see that old Wisconsin in there. Also relieved to know that it wasn't an anaconda or giant python!