Sign in to follow this  
castoff

A restoration issue.

castoff

I would like to preface this post by stating the following.

It is not my intent to cause any sort of disruption on this forum. The issue I am about to present is likely not a new one but I was not able to find an old thread that dealt with it thoroughly. I confess that I do not know much about Wheel Horse tractors so I ask that you forgive my ignorance. It would be a logical conclusion that Wheel Horse applied some sort of identification tag to each tractor prior to it leaving the factory. Whether that was a foil tag that was glued on or a metal plate that was affixed with rivets or screws is something that you can tell me. Presumably each tag contained a PIN or Product Identification Number and a model number to connect that tractor to publications such as Operator, Parts and Service manuals.

Many of you are involved with the total restoration of these tractors. So, let's presume that you come across a tractor that has been left in a spot for many years and the frame of the tractor is so badly damaged that repairs to that frame are beyond the point of reason. However, you check around and learn that a good frame is available on e-Bay. It came from the exact same model and the design of the frame is identical to the one used on your tractor.

You purchase that frame, strip it to bare metal, repair any minor issues and then refinish it using the correct paint.

Do you then apply the ID tag from the original tractor?

OR

Do you then apply the ID tag that came with the frame?

Or

Do you not apply any ID tag?

I await your considered replies.

Sparky

I would stick with the original tractors ID tag. Not that your trying to "pull the wool" over anyones eyes but the frames on many of these machines are identical from year to year and no one would even notice. If you were to change a 10hp Tecumseh powered tractor to a 10hp Kohler powered tractor now you have made a noticable difference.

Mike.........

AMC RULES

Either way is OK. :handgestures-thumbsup:

Duff

First of all, Welcome to :rs: !

Nothing controversial about your question whatsoever. As Craig said, either way is OK, but Sparky appropriately points out that it would be nice to have the original ID tag if it's available to you - helps to keep the lineage of the machine intact, if only for conversation's sake!

Duff :thumbs:

Kelly

I'd tag it as close to what the tractor will be when done, that way down the line parts look up will be close if not correct, unless it is a hard to find "rare" tractor most will not care, as was said depending on the tractor, frames are the same for other models and some for a few years and models.

• Like 1

castoff

Thanks for the replies and the welcome.

To me.... a frame is nothing more than just another part for a tractor. The fact that the ID is attached to the frame is of no significance. If you were able to walk into a Wheel Horse dealer today and order a brand new frame at the parts counter for a forty-year old Wheel Horse, then that frame would not have an ID tag on it. Therefore, I see no issue with using either a brand new frame or a used frame and then putting the original ID plate back on. I say this on the basis that there is no intent to make the restored tractor anything other than what it was when it was brand new. No deception, misrepresentation or fraud involved here. This was a hotly debated issue on another forum and one member insisted that it was not legal to do this in Illinois and at the very least, it wasn't "moral".

I fiercely disagreed with both arguments. The goal here was to conduct the most accurate restoration of the subject tractor as possible and that replacing the frame neither enhanced or diminished the value of the finished product. I thought that I'd toss this issue into this forum because I know just how passionate many Wheel Horse owners are.

littleredrider

It's a tractor, how can it be illegal? Not like it's a car or truck or something like that. Even then it doesn't really matter. At least in NYS.

It must be an early WH if it has an ID tag on the frame...

KC9KAS

castoff, :WRS:

I see nothing wrong with affixing a model ID tag on a frame that is replacing the origonal (matching) frame.

It is not like it will be "numbers matching" like muscle cars.

Heck, sometimes there is contraversary over a model number and what the GT is suspossed to be and it is the origional sticker!

I don't think anyone has ever really figured out WH's "method to the madness" of model numbers.

Kelly

Yup your not building a $100,000 muscle car, it's a garden tractor that will probably not be worth more than you will have in to it, most older ones in top shape with a correct nice restore are only worth $1000 to TOPS $2000 with a few exceptions.

AMC RULES

This was a hotly debated issue on another forum and one member insisted that it was not legal to do this in Illinois and at the very least, it wasn't "moral".

I thought that I'd toss this issue into this forum because I know just how passionate many Wheel Horse owners are.

I sincerely hope we're not that passionate here. :)

Edited by 2+2=4sixtwelve's
  • Like 2

VinsRJ

I see no issue with swapping a frame and then the ID tag. Welcome the RS!