Sign in to follow this  
jimbo7921

shoppin for tire chains

jimbo7921

Hi guys, i am heading into Michigan next week to pick up some snow handling equipment and was planning on spending some hard earned Canadian dollars on some tire chains but wasn't sure on the best place to shop, except for your tsc stores with like ours up here don't seem like the best quality or price. I am heading from Port Huron to Detroit so if anyone knows of a place not to far out of the way that would be greatly appreciated. thx jim

Fun Engineer

I bought my last pair of 2-link chains from Weingartz Lawn and Snow. Locations in Utica, Farmington and Waterford. Dont remember what they cost but they are the best pair I've ever owned.

Kelly

What size tire? I have a few like new sets of heavy duty chains, I'm in MI but 2 hours from Detroit

jimbo7921

hey kelly they r 23x10.5x12

gregg'shorses

The American TSC is a bit different than ours. Also a slight detour to joes outdoor power near Kingston/ Marlette , about 45 min N/W of Port Huron.

bowtieguy

I buy auto tire chains at garage sales..(usually a buck or two a set) then resize them using a tire chain tool from my local NAPA store...(tool is 17.95)

You know the ole saying..."poor people have poor ways".....guess I fit that mold or just too cheap to pay 100 bucks for a set of TSC chains made in China~~

• Like 1

jimbo7921

I hear ya i figured if im in the USA i could atleast save the 15% tax i have to pay here plus most things r a little bit cheaper in the states

Kelly

Can't help put my last good set of 10.5 chains on my 520 this week.

smoreau

I got a set that was new last winter. They are the 2 link type that are in very good shape. I live north of Detroit about 2 hours.

smoreau

here is a pic of them on my 520 that I sold this year. they are the lighter duty type, but were used very little as we didn't get much snow last year. They worked very well and I don't have a use for them any more if you want them , send me a PM

024-5.jpg

027-4.jpg

Butch

I bought a set of rubber tire chains (http://www.rubbertirechains.com/rubber-tire-chains-c-4.html) so I don't tear up my driveway. I haven't had a chance to use them yet. They are on the expensive side. They are also a PITA to install. Takes two of us to do it.

shallowwatersailor

I agree with Butch. The rubber tire chains are a PITA. I use a scratch awl to put mine on. This provides a bit of leverage. The tip might work better if it is bent but I've owned mine for over thirty years and do not want to make a purpose-tool out of it. I use it all the time for other things. If you can find one, a cotter pin puller might work as well.

smoreau

Good luck with those chains Jim. It was very nice to meet you and good luck with your new plow! It's always great to meet another member of this great hobby!