Sign in to follow this  
Iggy68

Adding a GT14

Iggy68

While I'm waiting on parts I did some clean up. Pulled more parts off to get to the rear end better. I did some research and looked at some pics in the gallery. I see that almost every other 3 point has rods for the lift arms. If you look at my pic above mine has flat stock. Does anyone know if that was stock from the factory?

Kevbo

Very nice GT Iggy! I'm excited to see pictures of that tractor all cleaned up! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Iggy68

My intentions for this tractor are to fix the mechanical issues and missing parts. Eventually it might get painted. The engine parts I need won't be here for another week. Did a little bit of work on it today. It was missing the dash plate so I made one up.

Made a pattern for it first.

d9215656d1f8be9dde180ef3bbadfe56.jpg

Went to the shed to fetch a piece of metal. I think it is around 20 gauge.

26b68a41a06495889d1a3ad24c08d691.jpg

Traced the pattern and rough cut it with the bandsaw.

f7576a74b3bdbaadcf13d0b8791b9500.jpg

Pretty much ready to install.

025616e9ae8a7c614269b7686e69149a.jpg

Switches I picked up today installed.

520eb391d4f7855979681cdc9c70b4f6.jpg

• Like 1

jay in nc

nice work. JAY

Wheel-N-It

nice work. JAY

Yeah Ditto That!

Iggy68

Got back to working on it today. I didn't get my parts so I improvised. The carb had been soaking for a week, put it back together and back on. The voltage regulator had the broken tab so I soldered a wire to it. Pretty much reassembled everything I took off of the engine. I bought this thing without hearing it run so I had to try. Hooked the gas tank back up and gave it a turn of the switch. Whoa and behold it fired right up. I was extremely happy to say the least. Tomorrow I need to get some clamps for the fuel lines and some tranny fluid so I can put it all back together and give it a test drive.

gin

V nice

I have a 3 pt hitch on mine and it is different. The guy I bought it from said there where 2 types or 3pt hitches and I would be very happy with the one you have , looks awesome and similar to one I saw on a D, the double pully is an added bonus.

great job on the dash.

Wishin4a416

That is a very nice project tractor. Have fun!!!

953 nut

This GT 14 was for sale on Ebay, I met the reserve and wone the auction! The seller has refused to contact me and now I see why. Not your fault that he is an #$$&*@> and sold it out from under me. I wish you good luck with it, my wishes for the seller are for nothing but bad luck!

Iggy68

953 nut I'm sorry that happened. He had it listed on CL also. It took two weeks, a bunch of messages and finally an email to get a response.

Wheel-N-It

953 nut I'm sorry that happened. He had it listed on CL also. It took two weeks, a bunch of messages and finally an email to get a response.

I saw it on Craigs List too.

953 Nut, Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the seller. Sometimes when something like that happens, there is something better waiting for you in the near future.

kthack657

The GT14's are really nice, mine is all original including the paint, havent posted any pics of it yet as I want to take it for a drive first (but hubbie's project Jim Dandy is apart all over the garage at the moment, but do plan on bringing it to the big show along with my restored 701 YAY only 5 months to go :D:D :D

Iggy68

Well I finally got everything back together today. Got it out of the shop and took it for a spin. Since I wasn't able to start it when I bought it I had no idea what kind of shape the hydro was in. Good news it is real strong. Drove it around the yard for about 45 minutes. Looks like I can nail down my parts list now. The throttle shaft is wore pretty bad. It will barely run under load at higher throttle. It needs a little adjustment in the hydro, creeps forward slowly when it is in neutral. Overall it is pretty sound for 200 bucks.

GT14

Very nice winter project

Machria

Anyone want to do another one of these? I don't want a "full restore", just a clean up, tune up and anything it might need tiddy'd up a bit! I'm clueless with it, first tractor... It runs, but definitely needs tuned up a bit.

I just bought a 1971 GT14

Model 1 0500 6

Sn#825066

Under the manuals, I see the GT14's listed, but not this model. Anyone know where I can get the exact manual? Thanks!

post-9546-0-66716300-1360791267_thumb.jp

Brrly1

Nice tractors guys!! GT14 are the best! Favorite tractor! The bars that are flat stock are Not stock. I've posted a picture of my GT14 loader backside. I would guess someone has improvised to make it work. Good Luck to both of you.

post-45-0-82619900-1360942769_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-77670200-1360943105_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Machria

Switches I picked up today installed.

520eb391d4f7855979681cdc9c70b4f6.jpg

Are those lighted switches? If so, what switches are they? I want to change my switches out to lighted switches. Thanks....

Brrly1

You might want to check to make sure those switches will handle the amps. I would wonder about the electric clutch switch more than the light switch that one should be ok. Theres one on ebay now that is the correct switch. ($19.99 buy it now, cheap) I mean those switches are nice with the lights and what not, but that would be the one I would question. Just a thought

The stock switches, I believe are still available

Brrly1

Iggy, I like what you've done with the dash. Looks good. Just to throw it out there for some of the "New" owners of GT14's, Glenn Petitt from here at Red Square also repops the dashes and tunnel covers for the GT's. The dashes and covers are really sharp, also thicker than the original. Just something else to let you guys know.

Machria

You might want to check to make sure those switches will handle the amps. I would wonder about the electric clutch switch more than the light switch that one should be ok. Theres one on ebay now that is the correct switch. ($19.99 buy it now, cheap) I mean those switches are nice with the lights and what not, but that would be the one I would question. Just a thought

The stock switches, I believe are still available

There's not much amperage going thru those switches. I'd think any lighted switch avail. today would be just fine.

Iggy, I like what you've done with the dash. Looks good. Just to throw it out there for some of the "New" owners of GT14's, Glenn Petitt from here at Red Square also repops the dashes and tunnel covers for the GT's. The dashes and covers are really sharp, also thicker than the original. Just something else to let you guys know.

Can you direct me to Glenn, link, forum name.... ?

Iggy68

They are lighted switches. I picked them up at Advance. I can't remember if the were 15 or 20 amp switches. I was concerned about it working for the clutch but it does engage it. I need to change the throttle cable still, it has a kink it it.

I find this a very comfortable machine to drive. It seems longer then my 953 from the seat to the footrests.

Brrly1

I think they are really close to being the same. Ok, I know that I had one of those switches in my work truck and it went south in a big hurry! I wish you luck. Anyway Glen is a Member here you need to scroll down to the vendor area (home page) and you will find Glen's name. He's a Great guy, don't tell him I said that, I'll Deny it

Machria

They are lighted switches. I picked them up at Advance. I can't remember if the were 15 or 20 amp switches. I was concerned about it working for the clutch but it does engage it. I need to change the throttle cable still, it has a kink it it.

I find this a very comfortable machine to drive. It seems longer then my 953 from the seat to the footrests.

I can't remember, I'm sure the ligth switch is a single throw single pole,... is the clutch swith also single / single?

Iggy68

I really didn't like the lift arms on the 3 point hitch, flat stock with holes in it. I had these sitting in a drawer.

a3f807e11b93a7ad984677a10e508fa0_zps7192

They are a little long, nothing a saw cant take care of. Now they look like this.

e0d3793d599ea6e4d28bda9be4b80c15_zps0951

Since I was already making stuff I thought I would make this up.

08715fb4d1a19830fccb3915a3f010c5_zpsa797

All of it mocked up on the tractor.

77303865d1b569d0415663c541fae597_zpsc36e

Tomorrow I will pick up some 3/4 bolts to mount the lift arms. They are slightly heavy duty for it but they were free and I didn't have any other use for them.