Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Wheel weight question???

Kelly

I have a few sets of WH cast iron weights, and have sold a few sets, I'm trying to figure out a few things on the differences in them, there are two styles of rears and fronts, the first one up is the rear weights, this I know is a factory WH weight, 4 mounting holes and a full circle.

post-85-0-38266600-1356575925_thumb.jpg

This is another set, like the factory weights, but with a few differences, only one set of mounting holes and a notch for a valve stem, I've had a few sets like this and came on WH tractors, but I know Gravely tractors also use this style weight.

post-85-0-80328700-1356576063.jpg

now the fronts I have both style weights and just a few weeks ago figured out the one set will fit my 520 with the forward swept axle as the rims have a bigger center hub, this one the center hole is smaller and has the groves in the center hole to match the outer ring, again I know Gravely used this style weight for the fronts as well as the rears.

post-85-0-50494300-1356576448_thumb.jpg

This style has the bigger center hole and no groves, this one will fit the 520 with swept axles.

post-85-0-76558000-1356576380_thumb.jpg

Question is rears, are the ones with valve stem notches real WH, or just the vendor that made them, set them up to be used on more brands?? and at what point did they start doing this? I'm guessing mid 70's going by tractors that I have got them off.

same for the fronts when did they start putting the larger hole with out the groves?? and are these just a change the vendor did to fit more brands?

I'm pretty sure WH did not make their own weights, they bought them from a vendor, same with many other parts on these tractors, WH just told them what they wanted.

Kelly

no comment at all??? someone has to have some kind of input.

squonk

I saw those exact same 2 hole rear weights on another brand not to long ago but I can't recall the make.

Sparky

I think you nailed it with the statement that WH didnt make these weight but had them made by a vendor to WH specs. The vendor must have made them for a few other tractor companies and folowed their specs.

Mike.........

Kelly

I've seen a few post on here people getting new to them WH weights but they are the notched style, not a big deal they are very very close, just trying to figure it out for my own piece of mind.

Rollerman

Kelly I was told the rear weights with the valve stem notches were ment for D's?

• Like 1

Kelly

So are the 12" wheels on the D's valve stems on the outside? the D's I've had have all had 15" wheels

Trouty56

Mine are Kelly.

Sent from my phone........

Kelly

Thanks guys this is the info I wanted, and maybe inform others as well.

855ownerJoel

I think you are right Kelly, just like Carlisle (Used to make rims in Slinger) makes rims for numerous companys, so are a lot of other products built by one company to be sold to other companies for their equipment. Depending on what year and who they bought parts from probably determined what style or look was sold as an aftermarket product through Wheel Horse for their tractors.