Sign in to follow this  
dw753

POLL: NOS Tractor to start it or not to start it

NOS Start it or Park it  

86 members have voted

1. 1. If you owned a NOS tractor would you fill the battery and gas tank and start using the tractor or leave it NOS

• Leave it NOS!!
    • Use the tractor!
  2. 2. NOS OR USE IT BY YEAR

• DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE YEAR IS IM RUNNING IT!
    • NOS PRE MAY 24, 1974 TRACTOR THE YEAR THE CECIL SOLD THE COMPANY LEAVE IT NOS
    • NOS ANYTHING PRE AUGUST 1986 TORO BUY OUT I WOULD LEAVE ALONE
    • NO MATTER WHAT YEAR IT IS IF HAS WHEEL HORSE ON IT AND ITS OLD ENOUGH TO BE NOS ILL LEAVE IT ALONE

AMC RULES

Umm...excuse me, there's always the amcrules :wh: museum...right over here at my house.

Will make room for an NOS tractor anytime. :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 2

dw753

Umm...excuse me, there's always the amcrules :wh: museum...right over here at my house.

X2 here and rest assured it will be preserved for future generations!

squonk

Yes, but what would you do with your water heater? :ychain: :ychain:

AMC RULES

Paint it red, add a :wh: sticker, call it rare, and list on ebay...what else? :ychain:

• Like 2

855ownerJoel

I would start it. Would not use it for work, keep it for show, but would run and drive it for fun. Keep it polished and covered with minimal hours on it. Of course if I was rich and could afford anything I wanted then maybe, just maybe, leave it never started.

c-series don

Sorry I have not posted pics of the Reo I have been very busy at work, with the holidays and with my local F.D. So I promise I will get them on. Does anyone have one of these besides me?

RJcollector

If it was an RJ or older id keep it NOS. If it were newer id start it but keep it in pristine condition. Come on you would be the only person who could say they have a NOS RJ.

IthacaJeff

Given the replies, the question needs a bit of qualification. For example, was the NOS tractor purchased, and if so,

at a "normal" price or a premium price? Or was it a gift or inherited? It looks like most folks here would not pay a

premium for an NOS just to have it sit around. I would not buy an NOS unless I got a great deal and could re-sell it

to someone willing to pay the NOS price. If I came across an NOS for free (ahh, what a dream that is), then I would

re-sell or trade for something more useful.

My wife has enough knick-knacks around the house collecting dust. That is the last thing I want in my shed.

Jeff

• Like 3

WH-PWR

I didn't get involved with Wheel Horses until 1986, when I purchased a 310-8. It was my first new lawn tractor. It didn't take long to realize that my purchase was a good one. I wondered why I hadn't paid more attention to Wheel Horses before that. As time went on, I realize all the different model Wheel Horses that had been built, that I missed out on. In 1995, I restored a 702, which I still have. A lot of time and money goes into any restroration. I still have the 702 and several other Wheel Horses. Although it is rewarding to restore an old horse, there is nothing quite like buying a new one, putting the first hours on the clock, breaking it in for the first time, putting the first signs of work and wear on it. Since Wheel Horses are no longer manufactured, I would, if I had the opportunity: buy an NOS Wheel Horse, fill the crankcase with good quality oil, grease all the zerks, add air to each tire if needed, charge the battery (if it was an electric start model), fill the tank with fresh gasoline, start that "HORSE" up, and enjoy the machine that it is. My theory is that museums do not need NOS anything, a well restored model will do just fine, to represent Wheel Horse or any other brand. You only go around once in life, and it's just a short go around when you think about it. I would not want to pass up an opportunity to enjoy something that fuels my passion: Wheel Horses, better yet a NEW WHEEL HORSE....from yesterday!!!!

• Like 3

leeave96

I didn't get involved with Wheel Horses until 1986, when I purchased a 310-8. It was my first new lawn tractor. It didn't take long to realize that my purchase was a good one. I wondered why I hadn't paid more attention to Wheel Horses before that. As time went on, I realize all the different model Wheel Horses that had been built, that I missed out on. In 1995, I restored a 702, which I still have. A lot of time and money goes into any restroration. I still have the 702 and several other Wheel Horses. Although it is rewarding to restore an old horse, there is nothing quite like buying a new one, putting the first hours on the clock, breaking it in for the first time, putting the first signs of work and wear on it. Since Wheel Horses are no longer manufactured, I would, if I had the opportunity: buy an NOS Wheel Horse, fill the crankcase with good quality oil, grease all the zerks, add air to each tire if needed, charge the battery (if it was an electric start model), fill the tank with fresh gasoline, start that "HORSE" up, and enjoy the machine that it is. My theory is that museums do not need NOS anything, a well restored model will do just fine, to represent Wheel Horse or any other brand. You only go around once in life, and it's just a short go around when you think about it. I would not want to pass up an opportunity to enjoy something that fuels my passion: Wheel Horses, better yet a NEW WHEEL HORSE....from yesterday!!!!

Very well put.