Sign in to follow this  
dw753

POLL: NOS Tractor to start it or not to start it

NOS Start it or Park it  

86 members have voted

1. 1. If you owned a NOS tractor would you fill the battery and gas tank and start using the tractor or leave it NOS

• Leave it NOS!!
    • Use the tractor!
  2. 2. NOS OR USE IT BY YEAR

• DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE YEAR IS IM RUNNING IT!
    • NOS PRE MAY 24, 1974 TRACTOR THE YEAR THE CECIL SOLD THE COMPANY LEAVE IT NOS
    • NOS ANYTHING PRE AUGUST 1986 TORO BUY OUT I WOULD LEAVE ALONE
    • NO MATTER WHAT YEAR IT IS IF HAS WHEEL HORSE ON IT AND ITS OLD ENOUGH TO BE NOS ILL LEAVE IT ALONE

dw753

First I do not have a NOS Tractor but I have had this debate several times with my Father in law. He loves to drive me nuts and tell me that if he were to purchase a NOS tractor he would fill the battery and the gas tank and start using it. I on the other hand feel that its a piece fo history that I would more than likely never see again and would leave it NOS. I mean to me its a tractor that has sat for 20+ years why ruin it now and make it just a really nice tractor of that model. Because no matter how nice it is you just made it like every other worker out there just a really nice worker. Is anyone with me or am i the crazy one?

• Like 1

Wheelhorse84

As my 14 year old son would say YOLO.

• Like 1

dw753

As my 14 year old son would say YOLO.

Lost me

AMC RULES

No brainer there...fire in the :wh: hole. :text-woo:

• Like 2

Jake Kuhn

It depends on what it was to me. If it was a black hood or a newer style I would use it. But if it was a round hood or a b or c series I would leave it as is and keep it covered. Its just my opinion but it is whoever owns the tractor's decision. ~Jake

Wheelhorse84

You only live once. YOLO

• Like 3

stevebo

IMO depends on the model. I am with Jake..

Martin

yep, for me it would depend on the model ( and rarity ) as well.......

chesbaycruiser

I don't know that I'd USE it use it, but I don't think I could keep myself from getting it "road worthy" and putter around on it from time to time.

I admit it. I have no will power.

dw753

wELL TRIED TO ADD A SECOND POLL BUT DON'T THINK IT WORKED

Kelly

Another depends on what it is, but most likly it would be a runner, and a show queen. not a push it around item, or let it set in a corner collecting dust, UNLESS it was a rare tractor.

• Like 1

rustyoldjunk

I have had this type of discussion with a buddy who has two NOS cubs,never has fluid in them,one is still in the crate one sat one the dealers floor.He also has two that were demo models that were never sold,a spirit of 76 and a super cub.Both have around 25 hours on them.He has all the original paper work from the dealer on the tractors.We both agree,leave em alone,they are history that you can look at,touch and study.

• Like 1

fireman

There was a story on here a few years ago about someone that had been contacted by someone else about an old Wheel Horse Dealer that had a NOS Senior, RJ35, RJ58 etc. If that was the case and I got a hold of those older tractors, they would stay NOS and never started. I would trailer them to shows and display them but they would stay a part of history. If it was something like a Raider, C100 or the common variety, I would fire it up an drive it. I think for me it would depend on the year and model.

Oh yeah, and about the story of all the old NOS tractors, I don't recall who it was that posted, or what the outcome was of it. If I remember correctly they were supposed to be going to look at them, but I don't think it ever panned out or if it was really just a hoax.

• Like 1

JackC

If your older, say 65 or older, you might as well use it. By using it you will already be in wheel horse heaven If you die you will have missed the pleasure of using it and the heirs will not appreciate it as much as you would. Why save it?

If you are younger, say 35 or less, I would save it until you are 65, then fire it up and go for it.

If you are in the middle it is a tougher decision. Use it or lose it? The pleasure of using it may be worth more than the monetary value. On the other hand, if I had three others to use of similar or greater capability I would save it.

stevasaurus

No matter what, if it is NOS, you probably paid a price for buying it that way...and there is a reason you bought it. Just like with painting them...IT IS ONLY NOS ONCE. What the heck...why don't you just part it out???

I think if you have to start a NOS horse up, then you should not have it and sell it to someone that appreciates it. RickyV had about 4 of them at his auction last February that I got to see...they are very special and beat the heck out of just being able to say..."they are original". :bow-blue:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

dw753

No matter what, if it is NOS, you probably paid a price for buying it that way...and there is a reason you bought it. Just like with painting them...IT IS ONLY NOS ONCE. What the heck...why don't you just part it out???

I think if you have to start a NOS horse up, then you should not have it and sell it to someone that appreciates it. RickyV had about 4 of them at his auction last February that I got to see...they are very special and beat the heck out of just being able to say..."they are original". :bow-blue:

That is exactly how i feel and the same thing i told my father in law. I understanding wanting to mow with a great looking machine.... Buy one that is fully restored you will have the nicest one on the block but chances are you will never find another NOS .... I don't care if it is a Raider or no rare tractor ... if its NOS it is in a rarity of its own

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I'd probably leave it nos and keep it in my man cave.

BOWTIE

I WOULD PARK IT, ONLY IF THE TRACTOR STILL LOOKS GOOD. IT IS ALREADY 7 YEARS OLD. YOU WILL NEED HEATED AND LOW HUMIDITY STORAGE. IT WILL TAKE WILL POWER, THERE ARE NO MORE NEW ONES !!!!!

BOWTIE IN OHIO.

neil

if it was a NOS rj , i would put it in a glass case and use it a coffee table

In fact i dont think i could use a NOS tractor , i would have to leave it as it new and just use one of my other ones

although the temptation would be so great i dunno if i could contain myself

• Like 2

Tankman

Exercise the :wh:! Sparingly, parades, show 'n tell. Enjoy the Stallion and do show it off!

Let everyone see the engineered little :wh:!

No work though, a semi-retired old-timer! :ychain:

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Leave it NOS and store it if I had the room.

leeave96

I've got a 520H that might as well be NOS, but it is destined to be a worker. It is 1988 year and now has 62 hrs on it. I might change my mind, but driving/ working it is like drinking a fine wine. This tractor will get worked, be well cared for, live a long life and one of these days find it's way to my kids home for more work, fun and maybe a restore after a long productive life.

Long live the Wheelhorse!!!!!

Thanks,

Bill

KATO

If it were an early tractor i would leave it alone (if my will power held out)

if it were a newer one I'd use it.

6wheeler

This is a good poll. Its funny to me not to use it. I do not spend my hard earned dollars on anything I am not going to use. Last year at a swap meet I was lucky enough to find a NOS,NBF Golden eagle bow in the box (never been fired) It hadn't even been strung. I probably should have hung it on the wall and just looked at it because it too is a piece of archery history. BUT, I went straight to the archery shop, had them string it up, tune it, and ran several arrows through it. For me it was exciting to shoot it. I mean, I was 6 years old when this bow was first made and I am 51 now. I remember my dads hunting buddy buying one when they first came out and I have always wanted one. To me it is a tool. I wouldn't buy a new $200 dollar torque wrench just to look at it. With a tractor? The first thing I would do is gas her up oil and grease her up and put it to work. I know they are also a piece of history as well. BUT, Imagine in 1958, or 65, or 75, 84, or even later, the elation of that new owner getting it ready. Being the very first person to put his or her butt in that seat and driving that awesome machine for the very first time. No one could ever take that away from them. I guess that means I am not a collector. I am a gatherer. I may even be considered a hoarder. So, if there ever is an intervention, and you guys see me on TV? It won't be for newspaper hoarding. If you ever do see something like that I am sure you all will graciously volunteer to help my wife clean my sheds and house out because there will be alot of used "TOOLS" as I call them. Just be gentle, they are old and USED. JMO Pat

• Like 2

Ken B

I personally would get tired of pushing an NOS tractor on and off my trailer bringing it to shows just so I can say its never been started. I wouldn't work it but I ain't gonna push it around either. I get more enjoyment out of riding them than I do looking at them so fire in the hole.

• Like 5