Sign in to follow this  
csvt99

877 HST 8 hp snow blower?

csvt99

I've been toying around with the idea of getting a snow blower for my 8 hp 1967 877 HST Auto. My dad used to have a 1277 (12 hp) and they ran a 48" blower with no problem. I found a guy who has a 32" blower with 42" clearing width which would be about right since my tractor width is 36". Will this tractor manage a blower of this size? I'm assuming I'll need to add wheel weights and maybe chains. Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas Eve!

post-9056-0-95182200-1356360975.jpg

post-9056-0-93459700-1356360911.jpg

TT

If the thrower pictured in your post is the one you're interested in using, it will not work on the 877. That thrower is for a newer model with the Attach-Matic front hitch and the engine-mounted PTO clutch.

This is what you'll need to look for:

st326drive.jpg

Notice the drive belt engagement assembly is mounted on the thrower hitch. The correct model also attaches directly to the tractor frame with one long bolt.

I have used throwers on 7 & 8 horsepower tractors and you can't be in a hurry. Most of the time you end up only taking part of a swath, but it still beats shoveling. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

littleredrider

Like Terry said it won't bolt on as is, but you can swap the mount out off the one that he showed, then it would work. I was gonna do this to two 42s that I had, one was beat, one was OK. Put it on the tractor to try, howled like crazy cause of the bearings, ended up scrapping both of them. Now I'm looking for another one....go figure.....or a two stage....

csvt99

Thanks, turns out it was sold anyway. I'll keep looking for one with good bearings that fits. I know it won't be fast but all I have right now is a shovel....

855ownerJoel

I use the blower pictured by you on a B80 and it works fine if you take your time. Engine needs to be strong and need to run with engine wide open. I only had trouble when we had 9" of very heavy snow. Thats when the plow worked better. BTW what is a shovel? I think I forgot what that is since my tractors do the work for me....

csvt99

Ok here is another one I found.It's hard to tell if this one is different or not. It says it should fit most older horizontal shaft motors. Doesn't quite look like the same set up as the one posted by TT however. Should I be looking for a blade instead? I was thinking I would be better off throwing it than pushing since I only have 8 hp.

Happy new year!

can whlvr

an 8hp will push snow better that throw it,if setup right you would loose rear traction before engine power,most times anyway,throwing requires power,or super slow speeds if its deep,wet or the windrow from the town trucks at the end of the drive,a plow can be more useful as they can and will push dirt,wood,grade driveway,etc,its nice to have both,one on a dedicated tractor each