Sign in to follow this  
WheelHorse79

Another 854 saved for restoration

WheelHorse79

Yesterday, I drove 550 miles and purchased an 854 wheel horse with a 36" deck. My Dad originally purchased an 854 for his first wheel horse on 6/6/66. It got a lot of use for 13 years until 12/28/79 when he traded it in on a new left-over '79 C-101 (which I still have). My Dad has passed away and this tractor brings back a lot of good memories of him. It has been 33 years since I last saw an 854, and I had forgotten how small they were (or how big I have become). It seems to be very complete and I have attached a picture.

I am now collecting parts to begin restoration and have a couple of questions. First, would a steering wheel off an 857 interchange with this tractor? How about the steering shaft and sector? The steering on this 854 is a bit sloppy and parts may need replacing. Also, the S/G guard is a bit bent and torn. Is there a good source on finding replacements for these (other than Ebay and Craigs List)?

I have a reproduction 854 parts manual that contains many of the original part numbers. Where is the best place to go to cross reference the numbers and buy and replacement parts? Does Toro still have many of the parts still available?

I look forward to participating on this forum and asking questions, I've been lurking for a while and now hope to be a more active participant. Thanks in advance for any helpful hints, advice and/or guidance you have.

Michael

post-8950-0-17029000-1356301528.jpg

Wishin4a416

That should be be a very nice project. Looks like a clean machine.

AMC RULES

:WRS:

roscoemi

Nice machine and :WRS: .

groundhog47

Yesterday, I drove 550 miles and purchased an 854 wheel horse with a 36" deck. My Dad originally purchased an 854 for his first wheel horse on 6/6/66. It got a lot of use for 13 years until 12/28/79 when he traded it in on a new left-over '79 C-101 (which I still have). My Dad has passed away and this tractor brings back a lot of good memories of him. It has been 33 years since I last saw an 854, and I had forgotten how small they were (or how big I have become). It seems to be very complete and I have attached a picture.

I am now collecting parts to begin restoration and have a couple of questions. First, would a steering wheel off an 857 interchange with this tractor? How about the steering shaft and sector? The steering on this 854 is a bit sloppy and parts may need replacing. Also, the S/G guard is a bit bent and torn. Is there a good source on finding replacements for these (other than Ebay and Craigs List)?

I have a reproduction 854 parts manual that contains many of the original part numbers. Where is the best place to go to cross reference the numbers and buy and replacement parts? Does Toro still have many of the parts still available?

I look forward to participating on this forum and asking questions, I've been lurking for a while and now hope to be a more active participant. Thanks in advance for any helpful hints, advice and/or guidance you have.

Michael

Really nice machine, try Kelly, Jdogs ranch and other vendors on here, there are more, you can post a wanted in classified, and lastly Toro, Parts tree, and others still carry some new parts and your wallet with them. Kelly got me a good good gas tank, seat flip and other parts way better than ebay. "Course ya prob already know them all, I'm kida new and still learnin' who and where stuff comes from also. Oh, yeah, :text-merryxmas: , :WRS: Edited by groundhog47

Ken B

That looks like a nice clean 854, even has whitewalls on it!

KATO

Nice tractor and Welcome to :rs:

neil

Welcome to Redsquare & Wow , you drove 550 miles , its amazing what lengths people are going to to get these tractors .

enjoy your new to you tractor

WheelHorse79

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! And... :text-merryxmas:

welderman85

nice tractor great save

speedyleedy

That was a great buy i went & look at that tractor it was just a couple of miles from my home good luck on your nice find can't wait see it when your done ! :)

littleredrider

Nice tractor! I have one as well, right now in a million pieces. Hoping I can get to it before too long...Make sure there are lots of pics!!!!