Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

Kinda ready for snow

Hodge71

I havent been on in what seems like forever so I just wanted to throw a couple pics up of the 18 auto with the blade on. Supposed to be a white Christmas here in NEPA. If I dont get enough to plow Christmas morning, I should on Wednesday/Thursday with the first Nor'easter in 2 years. I guess we shall see how it pushes with the 29.5- 9.50 R-3s on her....

post-1339-0-62474400-1356285711_thumb.jppost-1339-0-37562100-1356285737_thumb.jp

Edited by hodge71
  • Like 6

varosd

looking good Jeff! that 18 hp is a beast! now all we need is some snow!

Hydro

It might be afraid to snow anywhere near that beast! :eek:

KC9KAS

That is a very nice looking GT!

AMC RULES

Oh...so there's the reason it doesn't snow on the east coast anymore. :)

• Like 2

Sparky

She looks great! Do you have more weights than that? The one time I used my D-160 to push snow it was terribly underweighted with the 50#'s on each rear wheel. I ended up building something that hung off the three point and that helped some. I dont think you can put to much weight on the D's for traction.

Mike.......

ericj

my D200 dad bought back 75 or 76 with wheel horse 50 lbs wheel weights plus 180 lbs of calcium in each rear wheel with the 26x12x12 turf tires it is a beast but, i would like to put ag tires on it i have the tires and a extra set of rims, just need tubes, but i don't wont to put calcium back in. but then the tractor i am afraid will not be the beast she use to be. i thuoght out anti freeze or the beet juice but does any body know how much it weights ? will i be able to get close to 180 lbs per wheel ?

eric

Kevbo

Nice D series! What a beast... :razz:

squonk

my D200 dad bought back 75 or 76 with wheel horse 50 lbs wheel weights plus 180 lbs of calcium in each rear wheel with the 26x12x12 turf tires it is a beast but, i would like to put ag tires on it i have the tires and a extra set of rims, just need tubes, but i don't wont to put calcium back in. but then the tractor i am afraid will not be the beast she use to be. i thuoght out anti freeze or the beet juice but does any body know how much it weights ? will i be able to get close to 180 lbs per wheel ?

On my 160 with 23" tires I used RV antifreeze. weighs 8 lbs. a gallon. Put 5 gal in each tire. I think around 7-8 gal for your wheels. We didn't get a lot of snow but I could feel the difference. With the solution sloshing in the tire, The weight of the antifreeze seems to push the tractor forward. I purposely piled all the snow in one spot and tried to push that pile where I wanted it. I could tell the tractor wasn't working as hard pushing it as it had in the past. It was heavy and wet and the tires never spun once.

Don1977

Rim Guard weighs around 11 pounds per gallon and calcium at -50 degrees is around 13 pounds per gallon.

Wishin4a416

Very nice machine! Looks like it will handle what ever comes your way.

KC9KAS

plus 180 lbs of calcium in each rear wheel

I would get the calcium out of there while you still have rims!

mnWHfan

Your tractor looks really nice. It looks like it would be a lot of fun clearing snow.

Hodge71

Thanks for all the input guys. As far as it not being heavy enough to push snow, I guess time will tell. I plowed many many HUGE snowfalls with my dads '73 12 auto when I was growing up with 100 pounds and my butt on the back. This machine weighs awhole lot more than that did. I was told a D weighs about 300 to 350 pounds more than a C series. I dont know how accurate that is, but I bet its close. I used it to regrade a bunch of modified on my driveway( thats why the blade is muddy) yesterday before I took the pics and thos skid steer tires dig something fierce. Not as good as an Ag but I bet its close. Definitely better than the tires that were on it. I guess I'll find out Thursday. They're calling for about 6 inches of heavy wet stuff here so it should give me an idea of how good or bad it will be.

varosd

Thanks for all the input guys. As far as it not being heavy enough to push snow, I guess time will tell. I plowed many many HUGE snowfalls with my dads '73 12 auto when I was growing up with 100 pounds and my butt on the back. This machine weighs awhole lot more than that did. I was told a D weighs about 300 to 350 pounds more than a C series. I dont know how accurate that is, but I bet its close. I used it to regrade a bunch of modified on my driveway( thats why the blade is muddy) yesterday before I took the pics and thos skid steer tires dig something fierce. Not as good as an Ag but I bet its close. Definitely better than the tires that were on it. I guess I'll find out Thursday. They're calling for about 6 inches of heavy wet stuff here so it should give me an idea of how good or bad it will be.

We can only hope.... :occasion-xmas:

Wheel-N-It

Nice lookinig D you have there Hodge. I like the skid steer tires too. They do bite good, probably not as good as an AG but I can only base that on using a skid steer. Merry Christmas to you.

Jake Kuhn

Nice rig! That thing should go through anything! :bow-blue:

"D"- Man

Nice 18 automatic, I don't think you need a plow on the front of that as the snow will probably get up and run away when it sees that thing coming!!! Enjoy working it when you get the snow. Mark.

Hodge71

Looks like its gonna hit me pretty square starting tomorrow afternoon to Thursday afternoon. I'm in the 7-10" band of snow. I wish I was a bit further west, like State College, theyre looking at 16-20 right in the face!!! :omg:

Hodge71

Heres 2 vids of me plowing today. As you can see it pushes just fine with factory weights and no chains. It was only 7 inches of heavy wet stuff and I dont know how it would dowith 24 but its doing ok by me. I just need to get the engine issues taken care of....

otrelwood

nice looking machine after all your work. that snow should have cleaned the mud off your plow nicely