Sign in to follow this  
jerrell

part of the horse came home

jerrell

:banana: My wife just got back from north AR today, she brought me a WH, the sheet metal is perfect .chassie, tires, hood, transmission(eaton hydro 1100, good tires, everthing except the engine.... :whistle: I need help in ID ing this thing, because there is no numbers that i can find on it. I will try my best to describe what i have, the hood is solid and red . and in front with two headlite holes at the top, it is ribbed, the hood latches are pointed down over the battery box and inside the hood, not connected on the outside like my c175. there was a sticker on the frame but the sun has bleached it out. it has an eaton 1100 hydro, it also some kind of electric switch on the L side close to the break band it looks factory not add on. the back of hood that folds down to the dash is flat across and has a number 10940 and gives cauthion info. on the bottom of the battery box,on the outside it has "twin" and on the hood it states wheel horse, no numbers as myc175 does. B)B)B) if nothing else i think i can use the trans if mine goes out on the 175 they are the same, but i would like to restore it. my goal is have a seperate tractor for each piece of equipment so i won't have to change... B)

Now if any one can id this horse, would a 11hp tecumseh model HM100 with a 1"X2.7/8 shaft work on this machine, is it strong enough,,, thanks in advance..

Jim_M

It sounds like a 416-H to me. The switch you mentioned is most likely the parking brake catch. Post some pictures when you can, and we'll figure it out. There should be a model number on a tag on the rear fender under the seat.

TT

Or perhaps a repainted GT1800 / 1848 WorkHorse ????? B)

:whistle:, please.

DMESS

I'm with TT here. We need pics to help ID this thing.

What color are the decals that are still on the tractor? Do they look like my avatar pic?

jerrell

:imstupid: i still haven't learned to post pictures,, B) but this pm i am going to a camera shop and buy a good camera, it makes me feel bad to see everone posting pic and me sitting on my hands, i will attempt to post this pm or tomorrow if possible.... the decals , only "wheel horse" printed on hood in white letters no box or lines, no tag under fenders or seat know this is frustrating to yu all but about to drive me crazy B):whistle: jerry

TT

The P/N on the rear hood "CAUTION" decal is 109140, right? (you have it as 10940)

Pick an inconspicuous spot and scrape some red paint off..... I bet it's pewter gray underneath the red. B)

traktorkidd7/30/93

I fell the same way :whistle: . I dont know how to post pics...

B)

Duff

Jerry and Chris - somewhere on this site there is a super thread on how to post pictures using Photobucket. I just tried to find it but I'm either blind or too senile to locate it at the moment. But I know it's here somewhere! Maybe one of the Moderators will come along and give some direction? :whistle:

Duff B)

Teddy da Bear

Or....

If you want to use the "file attachments" option here on the space below where you write your posting in text.

1. Transfer your photos to your computer. Photo must conform to the size

restriction of 56k. (I usually have to re-size my photos to 512 x 384. This

will allow you one photo per posting. If you want larger photos or

multiple photos there is a "Sticky" here on how to use photobucket.)

2. After your finished writing your post. Click on the "browse" button.

3. Another window will come up called "file upload".

4. At the top of this window is a space called "look in" and an down arrow to

the right of this space.

5. Click on the arrow and this will bring down a "pop down" menu.

This part is up to you to know where your picture file is located. You will

likely see "folders" first. The picture file should be in one of your folders.

Click on a folder to find your file.

6. Highlight the file you want to post. It will appear at the bottom of the

window. In the space called "file name".

7. Click on the button "open". This will close that window and place the file

in the space next to the "browse" button.

8. Then hit your post or reply button. Your done!

jerrell

i just got back from buying a camera , digital, and took some pic, TT you are right it does state 109140, also called the guy i bought it from, he sure dosn't like to talk much, but he finally stated he thought it was a 416 or 400 ,,he also stated that it had a kohler twin on it ... will get the pics just as soon as i can understand how to get them on the cp.. got them loaded , now have to find how to bring them to this site and resize,, B) what is the pewer grey color,,???? you mean it's not a wh????

Jim_M

Wheel Horse built a lower priced line of tractors with a Briggs and Stratton engine instead of a Kohler and labeled them Work Horse instead of Wheel Horse. They were painted pewter grey and black. The only major difference was the engine and the color.

A 416 would have had an onan engine and a GT1800 would have had a Briggs, so either we rule those two out or the previous owner is mistaken about it being a Kohler. We should know once we see the pictures.

jerrell

B) Yesterday i went out and unloaded the p/u and i lied, when i looked real close there are several parts missing, BUT i am still determine to restore it. JIM M , your right, there is a lot of grey sticking out, several scrapes , but the sheet metgal is real streight with no rust, you will see today i am going to attempt to learn to post pics...thanks for all the help guys, i'll be looking for parts and manuals when i find out something,,,, :whistle:

Jim_M

Actually it was TT that suggested it might be a work horse.

The previous owner was wrong about the engine then, it wasn't a Kohler twin it was a Briggs twin.

My dad had an 85 16 horse work horse and it was good tractor, never really gave him any trouble at all.

Kelly

Unless it had been repowered already, before the P.O. got it??

Jim_M

Unless it had been repowered already, before the P.O. got it??

I never thought of that. B)

jerrell

:horseplay: hey guys, here is a pic, thanks for the help

jerrell

B) let's try it again..

DSCN0007-1.jpg

wow and i downsized it to the smallest size.. i better practice before i post again/ thanks karl

nylyon

When you size it there should be an option for Bulletin board or (640x480) that's a good size. Hey, you're getting there though, you got the picture up! Looking good.

TT

You definitely have a Work Horse GT-1800/1848.

Built from 1982 to 1984, they featured an 18hp opposed twin Briggs & Stratton engine, Eaton 1100 series hydro, and standard hydraulic lift. The 18hp models also came standard with 23 X 10.50 - 12 rear tires on 8.5 inch wide rear wheels. (too bad you didn't get them on yours. B) )

Model numbers as follows:

1982 - A1-184801 (GT-1848)

1983 - D1-184801 (GT-1848)

1984 - A1-18BE01 (GT-1800)

jerrell

:banana:

B) Thanks TT,, i needed that... are the work horses hard to get parts for or will standard wh parts fit, i am going to restore if posssible, if not the rear wheels and hydro is worth 50.00 , the seller guanteed (ms) the hydro, or do you know where there is a parts tractor???/ thanks again jerry

DSCN0006.jpg

some where down south preferrably, the cost of shipping costs me more than the parts do, i bought 4 parts for my 175 and shippicng was more than the parts

TT

Although there are subtle differences in a few of the parts, most of the chassis / drivetrain parts from the C-X1 / C-XX1, C-X5 / C-XX5, and the 3, 4, 500 series tractors should interchange.

Sheetmetal is very similar to the 3, 4, and 500 series tractors and should be easy to find. The correct drive belt guard would depend on the engine you choose to install. A single cylinder engine guard is different than a guard for a twin cylinder engine.

If you remove the adapter plate from the frame, you can install a single cylinder Kohler with the large oil pan like was used on 312/314/414/416 models, or, with the correct pieces, you could even install the isolator cradle like was used on the C-125/145/165 models. Finding a GOOD original-style opposed twin Briggs might be tough, and probably expensive too.

The hydro requires a 5