Sign in to follow this  
wh22366

Burban backrest

wh22366

The seat backrests on KenB's two resto-mod Suburbans had me trying to decide just how to make one for my 551. I think Ken said one came from a old drafting stool. I hunted the internet and found a couple of stools that might have done the trick on e-bid-it, but didn't want to pay for the whole stool and shipping. I finally found a NJ company that makes industrial stools with an ideal-looking backrest. They directed me to one of their NJ retailers who sold me the unit you see in the pictures below. I'm having a buddy mill a 1/2" slot in the base so I can adjust the position and add a second carriage bolt for strength.

I have the ragged original seat cushion and will have a local upolsterer use it as a pattern for a new one and have him make a matching cover for the backrest.

Merry Christmas all!!

post-7951-0-55797800-1356112143.jpgpost-7951-0-57397300-1356112276.jpgpost-7951-0-56655000-1356113032.jpg

• Like 2

rydogg

Looks great :handgestures-thumbupright: I really like the back rests my only complaint is it makes it harder to get on or bail off the tractor.

Kelly

Looks good and I bet it cost half what the orig. one sell for.

wh22366

You got a point there rydogg. I have zero extra weight up front now with the calcium-filled front wheels gone (there's one on the left in the top two pictures) and she do come up easy. I plan to make a suitcase weight bracket and add a couple of 25 pounders. The two backrest pieces were cheap. Here's the seller's contact info if you're interested:

The bracket is called a backrest arm for a 6200 series stool made by National Public Seating and the retailer is Best Furniture Online Corp.

www.bestfurnitureonline.com

I talked to Joe at 1-732-370-6063. I promised to send him a picture of the finished project. Great guy.

Wayne