Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsekid

Stage 2 Snow-thrower

wheelhorsekid

I found a stage 2 snow-thrower that came off a 520h. Will that fit my '79 C 161?

The guy is asking $750 for it -- is that good price? Thanks for any help.

sscotsman

just FYI, its "2 Stage" not "Stage 2"

I say that not to nit-pick, but because having it the right way will more easily help you find out information

about the snowblower, with google and such..and even searching in this forum.

Scot

stevebo

it was an 1800 option new. they are very hard to find... your money but that is about right

mattd860

The 2-stage blower will definitely fit the 79 C161. $750 seems to be the average price for a GOOD CONDITION blower. If it's complete and in decent shape - I'd pay $750 for it if I really wanted one. You will probably have to wait until next Spring or Summer if you wanted to save a little money but even then, they sell for $500-600 which isn't much cheaper than $750.

Do some searches on this forum for pictures and also study a parts diagram so you will know whether or not the unit is complete. You don't want to pay $750 for something that is missing something important like the lift bar.

Kelly

Like Matt said be sure ALL the parts are there, There are a few that bolt to the tractor and some times get left on the tractor, the price this time of year is about right, if it's in good shape and all there.

midnight rambler

it will fit and do a good job, i hope you have big arms or a short drive way, if not you will have bigger arms come spring, it will be harder to steer, they put the gear reduction on the 520s after 1991 i believe, it is like manual power steering, good luck with your search, i would look for a tall chute single stage for your tractor.

baerpath

Mine is on a 73 14hp lifts easier than the 48 deck does. I do have the helper spring on it though.

Shuboxlover

If yours has hydraulic lift...it will be a piece of cake....but it will definitely steer hard as said above!!!

JoeMonag

Two years ago I paid 700 for a 93 two stage that was mint, and I run it on my 416-8. The two stage weighs 380 lbs, so you will need wheel weights and maybe some extra weight on the rear, unless your a big guy. Be sure it includes the the anti sway bar and all the heavy duty lift spring.

You can down load the manual from the Toro site. I read the manual cover to cover before I bought my two stage, and glad I did. The seller didn't know that the belt guard bracket and anti sway bar fit together and he hadn't removed them from his tractor.

The anti sway-bar keeps the drive belt from rubbing against the hood. To keep the steering from being a bear, I grease the spindles at the start of the season,and inflate the front tires to about 20lbs.The first year I used it we got over 70 inches of snow here in SE Massachusetts. The 44" two stage is a beast and made lite work of clearing my 400' paved driveway.

Joe in Norton,MA

• Like 1

JoeMonag

Forgot to mention once properly installed and the lift spring is "loaded" the two stage is not hard to lift, I find it easier than my 42" dozer blade on my 310-8

Joe in Norton, MA

Hydro

The two stage weighs 380 lbs, so you will need wheel weights and maybe some extra weight on the rear, unless your a big guy. Be sure it includes the the anti sway bar and all the heavy duty lift spring.

You can down load the manual from the Toro site. I read the manual cover to cover before I bought my two stage, and glad I did. The seller didn't know that the belt guard bracket and anti sway bar fit together and he hadn't removed them from his tractor.

The anti sway-bar keeps the drive belt from rubbing against the hood. To keep the steering from being a bear, I grease the spindles at the start of the season,and inflate the front tires to about 20lbs.The first year I used it we got over 70 inches of snow here in SE Massachusetts. The 44" two stage is a beast and made lite work of clearing my 400' paved driveway.

Joe in Norton,MA

My experience exactly. They are a beast.

Edited by Hydro
  • Like 1

Forest Road

Go over it thoroughly. The bushing on the end of the auger shafts wear out rather quickly. Check both gear boxes for oil, the front one typically leaks some. I check mine before each use. Check the impeller for any major dents. You should be able to easily spin the drive pulley by hand.

I paid $200 for mine and spent another $250 on new parts. Then more on sandblasting and paint. Total I've probably spent about $1000 on it. So if its not pristine I'd haggle him down.

rwilson

So 750 is a good price because they are rare? I guess mine for 200 is a steal. I might have to make some money on this deal.