Sign in to follow this  
WHEEL HORSE BILL

C-121 question on a ameter

WHEEL HORSE BILL

Hi guy I just have one question to ask how can I test a ameter to see if it's work correctly.I got power to the ameter then to the key switch it worked now it doesn't work really??? can anyone help.

Wheel-N-It

Bill, sounds to me like you are saying the needle is not moving. If that is the case, take your voltmeter and measure the voltage on the battery with the engine running at or nearly at WOT. If you are getting 13.5 - 14 VDC then your system is charging, and you should clean ALL connections in the ampmeter circuit to see if that gets the meter working again. If it still does not work, it would be a good idea to try another one in it's place. Then of course go from there.

Kelly

Take the gauge out and clean the post on the back, most are threaded studs remove the nuts that hold the flat spade on and clean everything I like to use Dialectic grease when doing this type of work it is made for electrical connections, be sure to get the nuts holding the spades on tight, then do not over tighten the nuts that hold the bracket, you can short it out by pushing the plastic spacers out of the bracket.

• Like 1

Don1977

If the battery is good and the charging system is good you won't see much movement in the amp gauge.