Sign in to follow this  
lilredpuller8

New toy! A 1045 as a matter a fact.

lilredpuller8

So I met up with a gentleman named jim off the wheel horse facebook page. I put a question up if a 1045 was a fair trade for a Economy Jim Dandy that i had. Needless to say the post got alot of attention. But all good things must come to a end and the guy off craigslist backed out, (go figure) So jim came along and mentioned that he would do the deal. Needless to say i have the 1045 now, with all the correct stuff on it. (serial number, deck, front tires, and the right seat.) It does need a fair amount of work and im undecided if i want to take it all down and restore it or get it running well and keep it the way it is. The pictures arent the greatest because it was dark and rainy out. i will try and get some better ones this week.262775_3854856501651_1188414843_n.jpg430932_3855804885360_102376331_n.jpg

• Like 1

jusjeepn

That is a sweet 1045! Definately leave it as is! It has it's own personality just like it is! If you paint it it will just blend in with all the others.

• Like 2

rydogg

Very nice...I have been searching for one of them for a while still haven't found one yet. PM me know if you need a starter belt cover I have one on the way that I think is correct for the 1045 it came off a 12hp kohler and they are basically the same as a 10hp kohler...the cover can be hard to find so I thought I would pick one up in case I ever found a 1045 of my own.

whcover.jpg

littleredrider

Nice 1045!! I wish I could find one like that. Ones that I find are beat....

It looks like a belt guard for the 1045, but if it's off a 12 it won't work. the belt guard for a 1045 will fit the 10 horse only, 1965.

AMC RULES

Yep, much too cool to restore. :handgestures-thumbsup:

Jake Kuhn

Nice find! :handgestures-thumbup:

Kelly

1045's are popping up all over, looks to be mostly complete, and the starter belt guard posted above will not be a direct fit, the brackets are wrong, the 1045, 1055, 1075 and 1046 are the only ones with the correct belt guard, I do have one if you end up needing one.

jimt1971

That was my 1045 I bought a little time ago. I always wanted a Jim Dandy so this trade was good for me. Chris and his Dad are good people. See you around at the shows.

Jim

KC9KAS

Sounds like 2 members here made a good deal with each-other.

Happy for both of you!

lilredpuller8

Jim hooked me up with all the correct stuff for it including the belt cover. For the most part all it needs is the carb and fuel pump to be redone, the wiring redone, 2 tubes in the tires and a battery box and it will be ready to go. Jim and his wife are great people and have alot of cool tractors and now one that's not red!! I think I will run it the way it is for awhile and possibly when it gets warmer take it down and paint it.

lilredpuller8

so i got to do some work to it today. Got the front tire tubed so it wont go bad now :thumbs: but on a worse note, the motor was making this weird noise when you turned it by hand. to me it sounded like the cam gear was going or the governor had a broken tooth. Turns out i was half way correct. I pulled the cam gear cover off and i see the teeth are all worn down and really sharp, and i went in and looked with a light and there is the governor gear rubbing up against the cam. :scared-eek: So needless to say the motor is coming off it this weekend and getting a better running 10 horse :angry-banghead: Other than that i stopped working on the engine since its really not worth doing anything with now.

jusjeepn

That engine has a special oil pan. Unless you replace it with one thats identical, it will not be a direct bolt in.

Kelly

Not just the oil pan but has a small bearing plate and flywheel, the dipper on the con. rod is very short to fit in the very shallow oil pan, these engines use the small base block also, and it has a 1" crank most newer engines 10hp up off WH have a 1 1/8" crank. so be sure to check things out before trying the swap.

lilredpuller8

Oh dear! Thanks for the update guys. Looks like this motor switch won't be as easy as I though. So I couldn't just get away with changing the pan am the dipper?

KC9KAS

:text-offtopic: Why are the post times screwy on the 10th & 11th posts?

Kelly

The dipper is part of the connecting rod, I put one of the 1045 style pans on a 16hp in my rat tractor I had to trim the dipper to size, you have to have the small bearing plate and flywheel to make the engine fit over the frame, the larger ones hit the frame, a early cub 10hp will be about as close to a bolt in as you can get, they have the right bearing plate, and small flywheel, but you have to change the flywheel as cubs don't have bolt hole boss's for the starter belt pulley, they have the 1" crank, and even the dipper will be right, the pan is very close but the drain is not right, WH only used that style engine on 4 tractors 1045, 1055, 1075, and 1046 the engine tins are only for that engine also, same with the starter belt guard.

lilredpuller8

Ok cool thanks for the info kelly. Looks like i will be pulling the bearing plate, flywheel and oil pan to make this beast work properly. It souldnt be a bad job i just have to keep a eye on my shim gaskets. The way it looks from the cam cover the block is probably broke the way the governor gear is laying. Once i get the pan off i will know alot better story on what happened inside.

clemedc

Very nice find :bow-blue: