Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Clevis vs Slot Hitch - Which is Better?

leeave96

I like my clevis hitches on my Wheelhorse tractors OK, but...

I have broken the flat bar welds that spans the hitch midway back and don't think they raise a moldboard plow high enough for travel. In fact, IMHO, there isn't enough travel of the clevis hitch either up or down.

My question is - would the slot hitch fit-up on a 300/400/500 series tractor and would the geometry of it give more height and depth than the clevis hitch arrangement? Would the slot hitch be as strong (or stronger) than the clevis hitch? Is the cable assembly from the clevis hitch compatible with the slot hitch? Will a slot hitch raise a 10 inch Brinley plow?

Any other tips, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Bill

CasualObserver

I think there was a service bulletin about this exact issue. I'm not in a good place to look it up. Maybe one of the other guys could direct you...or go look in the manuals area.

via Tapatalk

Rock farmer

I have both. I like the slot hitch better because its so solid.

The Clevis (Brinly) hitch has a lot more flex to it.

A 12" moldboard plow drags on the Clevis but not on the slot.

Most other Brinly's are secured out wide on the axels.

That gives better stiffiness to the whole thing

However, it can be hard to come by slot hitch attachments!

Good topic!

Joe

Tankman

I like the slot hitch but, never had need for a clevis hitch.

The slot hitch raised the moldboard plow without any problem. High enough to clear the ground easily. :)

Toro520hfan

I like the clevis hitch.

leeave96

Tankman,

Looking at your picture, it appears the slot hitch is out of the way of the draw bar at all times - meaning you can use the drawbar with the slot hitch in place. Presently, I remove my clevis hitch when using the draw bar.

Thanks!

Bill

Edited to fix the last sentence.

KC9KAS

Presently, I remove my clevis hitch when using the clevis hitch.

???

leeave96

Presently, I remove my clevis hitch when using the clevis hitch.

???

Fixed it - thanks!!!!!!!

Tankman

Tankman,

Looking at your picture, it appears the slot hitch is out of the way of the draw bar at all times - meaning you can use the drawbar with the slot hitch in place. Presently, I remove my clevis hitch when using the draw bar.

Thanks!

Bill

Edited to fix the last sentence.

Raise the slot hitch out of the way with the lever and/or the adjustment (turn / screw) knob handle. The draw bar is always "stationary" where it is mounted. :happy-jumpeveryone:

Doubletrouble

I need to get a cable on my slot hitch. I dont have any attachments for it but it is in the way when I use the draw bar. I hope to find a plow and disk for it someday.

MalMac

Well it sounds like maybe the trouble I was having getting my 12 inch plow hooked up to my clevis to raise high enough was not just me. I tried adjusting everything and could not get that plow to raise high enough to really travel with out smacking the ground. I have the adapter to convert my plow from clevis to slot. Matter of fact the plow originally had the slot hook up on it and I took it off and put the clevis on. Looks like I might be putting the slot back on.

rick

Thanks to the members here that helped "hook me up" with the slot hitch on my C100! Now I have a question- do you fellows that use slot hitches keep the draw bar on the tractor as well? Is there any interference when ploughing, with the slot hitch and/or tool pin hitting the draw bar? If it would dry up a little, I could find out for myself....

Rock farmer

You can leave both on all the time. In fact you would need a shorter pin not to use them both together!

Joe

CasualObserver

there was a service bulletin about this exact issue

servbul245.jpg

And yes, the hitches were designed to be used together.  Slot and drawbar or Clevis and drawbar. 

• Like 1