Sign in to follow this  
Dion H Daniels

From a pile of k91 parts,sandblasted,powdercoated up and running

Dion H Daniels

I started this little rebuild last sunday. I will be using this engine on a 1960 suburban project. I have powdercoated several maytag engines but this was my first kohler. I used ruby red powder and single stage reflective chrome powder from eastwood. I use a basic eastwood powdercoating gun, but i would recommend spending the extra money for the dual voltage unit. For those of you wondering if you should try out powdercoating, i would say go for it!! It is very easy and isnt nearly as messy as painting. You can go from a greasy nasty part to a finished ready to use part in less than an hour. It took me about 3 hours to coat all of these parts in a regular kitchen oven. I did it in several different batches the most time consuming part is masking everything not to be coated and plugging the bolt holes.

It didnt turn out 100% perfect but its gonna look good on my tractor. I also used all stainless bolts.

post-9052-0-98357600-1355719695_thumb.jp

post-9052-0-93322400-1355719712_thumb.jp

post-9052-0-49578600-1355719790_thumb.jp

post-9052-0-56074900-1355719940_thumb.jp

post-9052-0-07225500-1355720006_thumb.jp

• Like 5

dbartlett1958

Dion,

that is a great start to your project.

The powder coating looks very nice. May have to give that a try. I have used lots of other Eastwood products in the past and been happy with them.

David

WH Raider10

It looks great! :)

AMC RULES

I've used a bunch of the Eastwood restoration offerings in the past, always wondered about their powder coating systems...thanks for showing your work here. Did you powder coat the carb and head too? Everything shown here looks really good. :handgestures-thumbsup:

Jake Kuhn

Looks awesome! :handgestures-thumbup:

Kelly

Looks great, I have their system, never used it yet, I need to get a oven, the wife would shoot me if I baked the parts in hers.

rmaynard

And the amazing thing is, you are still alive to tell about it after using the kitchen oven.

VinsRJ

Looks great!

KATO

WOW !!!! looks really good

Dion H Daniels

I've used a bunch of the Eastwood restoration offerings in the past, always wondered about their powder coating systems...thanks for showing your work here. Did you powder coat the carb and head too? Everything shown here looks really good. :handgestures-thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments, i did powder the head,the carb and also the visible portion of the bearing plate. It is the single stage reflective chrome powder. I would have prefered not to powder these parts except i havn't found any chemicals that will easily clean up aluminum to a like new finish. If anyone has any secrets about aluminum cleaning i would love to hear about them.

Dion H Daniels

Looks great, I have their system, never used it yet, I need to get a oven, the wife would shoot me if I baked the parts in hers.

I went out and bought a new stove for the kitchen just so i could take the old one out to the barn plus we needed a new stove the coils on top were all cock eyed and everything slid to one side of the pan lol

octfst

Thanks for the compliments, i did powder the head,the carb and also the visible portion of the bearing plate. It is the single stage reflective chrome powder. I would have prefered not to powder these parts except i havn't found any chemicals that will easily clean up aluminum to a like new finish. If anyone has any secrets about aluminum cleaning i would love to hear about them.

try vinegar. It works well on carbs

Dion H Daniels

Heres a couple more pics of the engine on the project suburban next to my home made hood stand. I had to take it somewhere to have the bends made on the box part as i dont have a metal brake. but i did the brackets, all of the holes and the welding. My welds look almost as crappy as the factory ones lol

post-9052-0-08456000-1355758079_thumb.jp

post-9052-0-72484800-1355758097_thumb.jp

• Like 3

AMC RULES

So...did you fab up the steel wheels too?

Dion H Daniels

So...did you fab up the steel wheels too?

I had to have centers made for the wheels then i welded them on. The hubs i picked up at an auction for $5 and the steel wheels are actually off of a graham paige or frazer rototiller.

Cole

WOW that's gonna be really NICE when its finished, you will get a nice durable finish that will stand up to the heat, When I painted my k241 I used caliper paint, it's great so far.

Martin

mmmm, love powder...... :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

ben06351

Nice work. looks GREAT!!

312Hydro

That's really a great looking start to your project! I like the wheels and am anticipating a look at the finished machine. :popcorn: Will the front wheels be metal too?

Dion H Daniels

That's really a great looking start to your project! I like the wheels and am anticipating a look at the finished machine. :popcorn: Will the front wheels be metal too?

Yep, already got them. They are off of a gravely rotary plow.

bmuone

All that and to think....you can say.....Something I just cooked up in my oven !

groundhog47

I started this little rebuild last sunday. I will be using this engine on a 1960 suburban project. I have powdercoated several maytag engines but this was my first kohler. I used ruby red powder and single stage reflective chrome powder from eastwood. I use a basic eastwood powdercoating gun, but i would recommend spending the extra money for the dual voltage unit. For those of you wondering if you should try out powdercoating, i would say go for it!! It is very easy and isnt nearly as messy as painting. You can go from a greasy nasty part to a finished ready to use part in less than an hour. It took me about 3 hours to coat all of these parts in a regular kitchen oven. I did it in several different batches the most time consuming part is masking everything not to be coated and plugging the bolt holes.

It didnt turn out 100% perfect but its gonna look good on my tractor. I also used all stainless bolts.

Good googly oogly that is a NICE RECYCLING piece of work, I;d sleep with that but my wife would be angry!!By the way are you down in Paris? Edited by groundhog47

Zeek

I went out and bought a new stove for the kitchen just so i could take the old one out to the barn plus we needed a new stove the coils on top were all cock eyed and everything slid to one side of the pan lol

Way to master of your environment :violence-blades: "Honey, you need a new range :cool: , I'll just get rid of this old one for you . . . genius . . .