Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Riding the Ditch!

leeave96

Every now and then, I will be mowing or pulling a trailer with my fine Wheelhorse tractors and find myself in or near a ditch that causes the front axle pivot to max out and I'm on three wheels for a quick second. I don't feel this is a big deal as these old tractors are extra heavy duty - right!? This is something I absolutely avoid with my otherwise fine MTD Cub Cadet lawn tractor (the IH Cub Cadet is sometimes a three wheeler too) out of fear of bending the frame or worse!

My question is, who else finds themselves riding around on three wheels (around a ditch, etc.) and in light of some of the frame cracking issues I have read (where the frame bolts to the tranny) am I asking for trouble in doing this?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Bill

can whlvr

i have some steep areas that require the arse off the seat trick,i dont recommend this for kids though

AMC RULES

Statistically speaking, it's precisely at this moment when our GT's are the most dangerous. :scared-eek:

:twocents-twocents: Your focus should be on avoiding these situations to prevent the tractor from riding you.

• Like 1

gcole

I've never had my c-120 on three wheels but I have had it on two quite a few times

TT

If it's one or both front tires that are off the ground, you're much better off than if it's one of the rear tires. :thumbs2:

leeave96

I probably ought to clarify a bit. When I say ditch (at least in my case) I'm speaking of something shallow or some uneven/bumpy terrain that might have enough momentary dip or rise to cause one of the front wheels to hit the limit of pivot travel and bring a front tire a few inches off the ground - nothing life threatening or dangerous.

It seems to me this twisting or torsion would be detrimental to a lawn tractor's frame like my MTD cub cadet, but perhaps not with a Wheelhorse's frame.

hm12460

I surely wouldn't make a habit of it.

jusjeepn

From what you have described, you'll be fine and the tractor will be fine. It will take a lot more than that to hurt the machine or you!

Tankman

I surely wouldn't make a habit of it.

I too wouldn't make a habit of runnin' any Horse on three wheels. If possible, i.e.: a driveway, get a grader blade and fix the terrain. I'm lookin' for a rear grader for my modified stone driveway. The stone is just a bit much for my snow (dozer) blades.

I don't think MTD is a tractor. A BIG BOX store machine, that "thingy" would probably be damaged

in short order. :scared-ghostface:

I sold my Cub Cadet SLT 1550, 25hp. Wasn't a Stallion!

tunahead72

Bill,

I've done that myself a few times over the years. I don't know yet if it hurts the tractor, but it IS a fun ride. Until the Horse and I reach a point where I realize I need to go look for a chain and the keys to my truck... :icecream:

Seriously, though, Craig/Conan's comments are right on. I remember when I bought my very first Wheel Horse almost 30 years ago, no experience at all with garden tractors. The guy who sold it to me warned that slopes are THE most dangerous thing you'll encounter when you're driving one of these things. Please be careful, guys.

• Like 2

COMMANDO6

Well, I've ridden my Commando 6 off the curb a couple times...

I've also gotten our Kubota B7100 on three and two wheels on a steep slope pushing brush. I've also almost flipped it (scary) and that thing weighs as much as an SUV. It's built like a tank so I'm not worried about damaging the frame.

312Hydro

Bill,

I've done that myself a few times over the years. I don't know yet if it hurts the tractor, but it IS a fun ride. Until the Horse and I reach a point where I realize I need to go look for a chain and the keys to my truck... :icecream:

Seriously, though, Craig/Conan's comments are right on. I remember when I bought my very first Wheel Horse almost 30 years ago, no experience at all with garden tractors. The guy who sold it to me warned that slopes are THE most dangerous thing you'll encounter when you're driving one of these things. Please be careful, guys.

Was hoping the conversation didn't turn to this but here is my contribution on slopes- 627b889c.jpg

Here's a link to my stupidity-

All I can say is BE CAREFUL ! When you're about to do something and that little voice inside says" I don't feel good about this" Stop and think before doing.

jusjeepn

I probably ought to clarify a bit. When I say ditch (at least in my case) I'm speaking of something shallow or some uneven/bumpy terrain that might have enough momentary dip or rise to cause one of the front wheels to hit the limit of pivot travel and bring a front tire a few inches off the ground - nothing life threatening or dangerous.

It seems to me this twisting or torsion would be detrimental to a lawn tractor's frame like my MTD cub cadet, but perhaps not with a Wheelhorse's frame.

Apparantly no one is reading this post!

I have one of the box store Wheel Horses that I converted to my all around buggy. It serve's mainly as my ditch runner play toy. It has held up extremely well to my abuse which includes dropping off of 3ft drops into washout and climbing back out again (I'm an old school rock crawler/mud runner). Slogging through the gooey stuff is its forte' but it twists and climbs just as well as my four wheeler. Now mine has been modified a bit, but if if the stamped frame lawn mower will handle it, I think your garden tractor will be just fine.

071612173156.jpg

squonk

Don't forget, That front axle pivot pin breaks at the weld quite easily

TT

That front axle pivot pin breaks at the weld quite easily

That's mainly due to lack of lubrication. :eusa-whistle:

I'd be more concerned about one of those cheesy tie rod ends popping apart. :blink: