Sign in to follow this  
JimmyJam

To part-out or not to part-out?

JimmyJam

I have a Workhorse 800 that was acquired, missing parts, seat, etc. The question is do I part it out? or Do I try to sell it "as is"? I do not have the time to restore it because I am working on another Wheel Horse restoration project. Any thoughts?

post-8802-0-89705800-1355452467_thumb.jp

SousaKerry

:text-worthless:

How bad is it overall post some pics and we'll have a better idea

chevyaddict83

Jimmy. Are you in mass? Is this the one in trying to buy off of you? Hahaha

Sent from my 416-8

JimmyJam

Chevyaddict83: It must be! You're in Medway, Ma. Too funny! Yes its me! JimmyJam! I am trying to get some pics, but it gets dark too early!

chevyaddict83

Jimmy- let me know where you are. If you are around over the weekend I can swing by.

Sent from my 416-8

Trouty56

Sent from my 416-8

lol...cool....way better than "Sent from my Agent 86 Shoe Phone via Tapatalk"....haha

• Like 1

JimmyJam

After pulling it out of the barn to snap pics, I am thinking to myself: "Self - Do you really want to get rid of this horsey?"; "Probably not", "Let me put it back in the barn and really think it over"

Here's another pic:

post-8802-0-42031900-1355452694_thumb.jp

chevyaddict83

Sent from my 416-8

lol...cool....way better than "Sent from my Agent 86 Shoe Phone via Tapatalk"....haha

You didnt know that the 1989 416-8 had the texting option? The hydro model didnt.

Sent from my 416-8

After pulling it out of the barn to snap pics, I am thinking to myself: "Self - Do you really want to get rid of this horsey?"; "Probably not", "Let me put it back in the barn and really think it over"

Here's another pic:

post-8802-0-42031900-1355452694_thumb.jp

Well, keep me in the loop. Now that ive seen it, I want it.

Sent from my 416-8

VinsRJ

If you were to do something with it... IMO I would just sell it complete.

Nice free-flowing muffler on it... :ychain:

• Like 1

Duff

.....and you are thinking about selling this machine....WHY? :huhs:

Duff :thumbs:

TT

I do not have the time to restore it because I am working on another Wheel Horse restoration project.

:hilarious: That is perhaps the funniest excuse I have ever heard! :ychain:

As you might have noticed by the age of some of these tractors in attendance here, they do not have an expiration date.

If what you are stating would be an actual issue, we would only be able to have one tractor at a time and I know that ain't gonna float with me. :no:

In case you get it running/driving soon....... the current front rims look like the rears from a lawn tractor. (straight 3/4" keyed hub / no bearings)

If they are, do not drive the tractor or the spindles will be damaged.

• Like 3

JimmyJam

Terry, The front tires are 18x8.50-8; I am not certain of rims, though they look like the ones on my B-80 (???), which came from the same previous owner. The Workhorse came with extra tires (real poor condition) and rims. It's odd because the front rims are silver and the rears are (1 white and 1 Ivory white???).

My situation is that I am restoring my first Wheel Horse (/Toro) 1994 264-6 that came with lots of attachments, but not running (which is now running, but I want to sell it). I am also restoring a B-80, 8-speed with snow plow, which is running so-so, needs carb rebuild, perhaps engine rebuild (extremely noisy and blows smoke), and governor flutters uncontrollable at high RPM's and is leaking oil from block....all before snow flies!!! The Workhorse 800 needs a fuel pump (which I can not seem to find for that Tecumseh) just to see if the engine will run.

My original thought was to have the B-80 as a snow worker, the Workhorse as a mower (deck included, but unattached), my C-111 as the show-piece (needs tranny work).

With all that said the only one working is the 264-6: it has a "Attach-a-matic" long frame plow, mower deck, twin bagger, chains and weights... and my neighbor put the first bid in to buy it. So do I keep it, 'cause it can do everything now! ...and it RUNS!!! This time of year I am faced like most struggling income and these are tough decisions because I want them all!

JimmyJam

Anyways, How do you find out from what the specs are for that individual Tecumseh.

JimmyJam

I was also thinking instead of attempting to restore the Workhorse back to original with the Tecumseh, I would make it a modified and put a Kohler in it someday (pipe dream?)

JimmyJam

Well I attempted to start the Tecumseh today by gravity feeding the gas above the carb. and plugging the vacuum line to the non-existing diaphram fuel pump. The 3-pin rectifier connection was positioned on only 2 pins, so I re-positioned the connection. I put in a new battery.... and nothing!!!! So, I have temporarily put the Workhorse to bed for the winter!

JimmyJam

Thanks Terry (Good Eye)!!! I gave the rims a second look; they are not like any others I've seen. They are not bearings and pinned, nor keyed! The previous owner must have tapped-washer-and-bolted the rims to spindles. What the heck!! ???? But I must admit that I like the "chunky" - look to the front tires!!!

So I think that this Workhorse 800 is going to become modified!!!!!