Sign in to follow this  
Butch

Snow plow blade won't turn.

Butch

When I pull on the lever which pulls the pin holding the plow in place I can't get the plow face to move left or right. Even if I hold the pin out and use my foot to push the lever it won't budge. If I hold the pin out and use my hand to manually move the plow face there is no problem. Goes left and right with very little effort. And yea the arm is attached from the bottom of the handle and attaches to the head by the pin. I can't believe anything is hooked up wrong. It's like the angle or pivot point is wrong.

Wheelhorse84

The nut may be too tight that connects the pivot piece to the frame.

jusjeepn

I agree.....somewhat! The arm which changes the angle of the blade is held on with a bolt that threads through a welded nut. On the back side of that is a jamb nut. I.m betting when you reassembled the arm to the blade frame, you tightened down that bolt just a hair to tight. The weight and added leverage of the blade allows you to move it rather easily by pushing on the blade. Just loosen the jamb nut, back out the bolt a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and retighten the jamb nut!

Wheelhorse84

That's what I meant. Lol

Butch

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try!!

Kelly

Be sure when you pull the little handle it is pulling the pin all the way out, I've had to shorten the wire on a few plows to get the pin to pull back far enough.

• Like 1

rydogg

Be sure when you pull the little handle it is pulling the pin all the way out, I've had to shorten the wire on a few plows to get the pin to pull back far enough.

I have had to do the same.

varosd

Agree with all of the above I had to adjust the lever little bit switching between tractors :rolleyes:

Wyattrrp

I have had to shorten the wire from the handle to the pin by taking a pliers and grabbing that stiff wire and making a 45 degree bend in the middle length of the wire. If not enough make 2 bends in that wire to shorten the length.

fourwheels0

like has been said before.

it's 1 of 2 things. your nut on the plow to frame is either too tight or the wire is not pulling the pin out far enough.

on the nut it seems to be real sensitive on some. lift the plow and loosen the nut until you can move the blade by hand.

Butch

It's not the pin and it's not the bolt. The piece of steel that is bent that has the holes for the pin to go through is rubbing on the top and bottom where it sits in the main frame. I don't think the upper and lower part where the plow mounts will bend at all with the propane torch that I have. I guess I'll try and grind down the piece that has the pin holes on the top and bottom. I appreciate all the help.

glgrumpy

Main pivot bolt torqued too much and squeezed metal down. Rusted or Rust-welded as they say. Remove the blade there, clean it all up and GREASE the thing before putting back on. Don't overtighten pivot bolt and lock That setting in place with lock nut. Might have to spread the metal where bolt squeezed it, not sure HOW you can get in there for that tho.

Kelly

Look close at the area where the index goes and around the pin area top and botton, I've seen a few blades broke there.

Or is the hole on the bottom for the big pivoit bolt worn to the back letting the index ride up in the back??

Edited by Kelly

Butch

I'll take a look Kelly but I don't think anything is worn. Like GLgrumpy said it looks like the upper and lower plates have closed up a little. Looking at the thickness of the steel I wouldn't think the bolt could bend that but who knows. I can't think of how to spread it wider so I'm just gonna grind the piece that has the 3 holes and grease it.

gwest_ca

Check the plate at the front that the long rod from the handle goes into. I had a spring pin at the handle so it could be disconnected easier and that part worked. I backed up, something knocked the spring pin out and the rod went down into the ground without me noticing. That bent the plate the rod goes into at the front making it too wide to go between plates on the front of the frame. Big hammer fixed that.

Now I use cotter pins only in the rod.

Garry

wallfish

I can't think of how to spread it wider so I'm just gonna grind the piece that has the 3 holes and grease it.

You can spread it by holding 2 nuts in between the plates where the holes are and thread a bolt or threaded rod into them. Then turn the nuts in opposite directions to puish outwards and spread the plates. Use big enough hardware so they don't strip.

Butch

I can't think of how to spread it wider so I'm just gonna grind the piece that has the 3 holes and grease it.

You can spread it by holding 2 nuts in between the plates where the holes are and thread a bolt or threaded rod into them. Then turn the nuts in opposite directions to puish outwards and spread the plates. Use big enough hardware so they don't strip.

Ya really think this will work? That's some strong steel. I'll have to see what I have in the way of nuts and bolts. It has to be a perfect fit though. I don't have any all-thread.

jusjeepn

Butch, if thats actually the problem, I'm sure you have or know someone who does have a porta power. They work wonders!

Butch

Butch, if thats actually the problem, I'm sure you have or know someone who does have a porta power. They work wonders!

Nope, don't know anyone. I'll have to check them out. I've seen them before.

fourwheels0

pics of the problem would really help.

Butch

Well today I took my angle grinder to the plow and did some grinding. After that I greased some of the areas. She's working much better. I wish the linkage had better leverage. But at least now I can move it from side to side.