Sign in to follow this  
wp205a

Penetrating oil and steering wheel removal

wp205a

Don't we wish the factory had used anti-seize? It's expensive because it's worth it.

wp205a

Fueled her back up this afternoon, leaks on the sides appear to be ok, now I have one in the front. Don't think that qualifies as progress. Have any of you tried a Kreem kit in one of these tanks? My buddy is afraid the acid prep might damage the pot metal. We're thinking maybe a light sand blasting will etch it enough so that the coating will stick. Another issue with the acid might be the gasket. :snooty:

wp205a
post-8412-0-07988200-1359500881.jpgI love to pass on good news, but first, thanks to the moderator that corrected my misspelling of oil. The 2nd time around it'll only take you about 17 minutes (with the hood off) to remove your gas tank. #2 son did brace against the steering wheel while I punched out the roll pin, and he removed the wires from the ampmeter. 25 minutes into the project all tools were cleaned and back in the storage room. Have I mentioned that I need a shop? I promise to do a good job sealing the tank this time, and I'll put this topic to rest.

post-8412-0-42170300-1359500905.jpg

wp205a

Rechecked torque, some loose, tightened with nut driver, got a new filter bowl as mine was leaking. Letting it dry out over the weekend, will refuel Monday check for leaks before I put it back together

Edited by wp205a

wp205a

I broke my promise, was intending to take the tank apart,lightly sand blast, re-gasket and Yamabond, and Kreem kit the thing. Nothing to do today, shop was not an option. I took the tank apart, gasket looked good enough. Got out the new tube of Yamabond, smeared some on and put it back together. No harm done I figure. I'll let it sit a week or so, fuel up & see what happens. If it leaks, and it probably will, I'll go back to plan A.

wp205a

Thanks for all the comments/interest in this post. My patch job with the new Yamabond worked, and I'm glad. No fuel leak. I'll get the 854 put back together in time to cut some grass, wait for another issue to come up and look for advice here. 1 note, I laid a bead of the old Yamabond that I had used on a piece of cardboard (beer box) and it did set up. My problem was likely operator error. :snooty: