Sign in to follow this  
Butch

Wheelhorse gas caps.

Butch

I have a couple of the gas caps that have the fuel gauge. I've installed these caps on 3 different WH tractors which are supposed to have these caps. C-175, C-85 and 314-8. They all feel like they bottom out in the tank which makes them feel like they don't go all the way on and seal the tank. Is it just me or do you guys have the same problem with those caps with the gauge? Grind the end down?

TT

The only two tractors I own with that style cap both have cap to fender contact issues, but neither of them seem to be bottoming out before tightening.

Have you measured & compared tank depth vs. gauge length?

AMC RULES

Don't they come in different lengths? :dunno:

Martin

The one I have on my c125 doesn't have bottoming out issues but like TT I have cap clearance issues. I cannot get either the tank or fender adjusted so that the cap doesn't touch the side of the fender hole. Makes it hard to get the cap on sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butch

I'll stick a tape measure into the tanks and measure the caps also. But they both go on and feel like the caps never get tight. I too was wondering if there were different lengths of these caps. I watched them on Ebay for awhile and the various caps all had the same measurements from the various sellars. I just can't believe I'm the only one having the problem. It's annoying when you put the cap on and it's cockeyed and won't tighten up.

bmuone

Seems like I have seen a 7" and a 8" gas cap on ebay. I have one or the other in my 417a that gives me no trouble putting on. They are nice but the top goes bad pretty fast.

Butch

Thanks bmuone.

mrocket49

I bought one of the Ebay items and it doesn't fit my C-175 as well as the original did. I never thought that it might be a little too long. I'll have to compare it with the original on my C-125. It could mean I need to do a cut and weld on the wire gauge frame or add an extra gasket.

smoreau

it should be the 7" gas cap. I have bought several off of fleebay with out any problems.

Martin

from the few tanks ive had sometimes the threads on them, especially older well used ones, are a little screwed up and cause problems when screwing on the cap. someone either cross threaded at one time or the plastic threads are just worn. some of this stuff is pushing 30+ years and its getting a little worn out. as for length, shouldnt be too hard to check with a ruler or tape and compare with your cap. just measure the total depth to the top of the tank opening and compare with the cap/gauge length.

just went and measured mine and the tank is 7 7/8 from the bottom of the tank to the top of the opening. the cap/gauge measures 7 1/4 from the bottom of the float frame/carrier/stop whatever you want to call it to the uppermost area of the inside of the cap ( the same place the top of the threaded part of the tank would end up at when screwed on) so i have roughly 5/8 clearance. the cap i used was 106945 and it was $20 or so from my toro dealer.....

GlenPettit

Martin is right on, The majority of Wheel Horses* use a 7" long KELCH vented gas cap w/gauge. They are available in many lengths, 4" to 12", but 7" works best for us; because different lengths were used on other tractors, snowmobiles, etc., they are all sold on eBay and by dealers, be sure to check the lengths, cost about $17-20. It's that 10% ethyl fumes that are starting to fog up the lenses on these now. I am working on making a replacement lens for these caps.

DSCN0124.jpgDSCN0130.jpg

* A, B, C-series, 200, 300, 400-series

JackC

There should be at least 1/2" clearance from the bottom of the gauge to the bottom of the tank. There is a tall filter screen on the fuel outlet at the bottom of the tank. Not sure if that is under the gauge or off to the side. If it is under the gauge that could be in the way to keep your cap from going all the way down.

Shine a light down in your tank to look for any obstructions to the gauge going all the way down. 7" is the typical gauge length for most wheel horse rear mount tanks.

mrocket49

I just measured my Ebay gauge and it's 7 1/4" as compared to my 7" original. It feels like it's hitting that screen in the tank. I'll have to research this more later.

Duff

I've had the same cap-to-fender clearance issues the fellows above mentioned, but no depth issues. To solve the fender clearance issues I've taken a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel and carefully removed about 3/8" of the skirting on the cap itself (where you grip it to twist it), being careful not to cut into the barrel of the cap (the threaded part) so as to preserve the strength and seal of the unit. As odd as this sounds, it's worked like a charm on three of my 300-series machines. Just an idea.....

~Duff

Butch

Jack C nailed it. I measured my caps to the bottom of the cap. 6 3/4". Bottom of the tank is 8". I swished around the tank with the cap. You could definately feel something in the tank a little off center of the hole. That is what's making my cap thread cockeyed. My tank is full so I couldn't see what the thing is. It didn't look to be inline with the on/off valve under the tank. Both of my tanks have this thing and both caps are the correct size. Jack C you think it's a filter? If that wasn't there, then the cap would fit with room to spare. Thanks.

Martin

just went and had a look at the c125 again and the tank shape right below the filler is deep, but just to the left and forward of that area theres the raised up part of the tank where its nowhere as deep. that corner is real close to where the sender would sit, and i was just wondering if the wire carrier for the float was slightly bent it would hit and bind up in that corner. i cant see where the screen for the shut off valve would interfere with anything as its a reasonable distance from where the sender would be. ( unless theres a bend screen in the tank, but those screen socks arent any longer than an inch or so and i think you have more than that to the sender)....maybe it has a nonstandard screen in it, but you did say that you have another one with the same situation.....and thats why im leaning towards slightly bent sender.

post-4321-0-75213900-1355176767_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-85451300-1355176783_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Butch

Martin I'll have to wait until the fuel level goes down to see what's up. And that won't take long at all for this fuel hog. Looking at your main shutoff it looks to the right of the filler hole and I believe mine was to the left of the hole. Your machine sure is clean lookin also!!

Martin

yeah, i tried getting it dirty, but the tractor says it spent a bunch of time in its past life looking like a real pig and its not ready to get dirty yet..........

IMG_0936.jpg

mrocket49

I just measured my Ebay gauge and it's 7 1/4" as compared to my 7" original. It feels like it's hitting that screen in the tank. I'll have to research this more later.

Well, the fix turned out easier than anticipated. I pulled the wire frame out of the bottom of the cap, cut off 1/2" and re-inserted the wire. I hot-glued the connection from wire frame to cap and now it works much better.

SPINJIM

I bought one of the gauges at one of the tractor shows, and put it on my C-85. It doesn't hit the bottom of the tank, but it might feel like it because the threads aren't perfectly matched. You run out of threads on the cap before the ones on the spout, and it feels like the cap is not fully on. But it does seem to be tight and well sealed. Haven't had any leakage around the cap, but I don't drive it on any steep hills. I measured the depth to the bottom of the tank, and measured the length of the gauge float assembly. I think I had about a 1/2 inch clearance at the bottom.