Sign in to follow this  
KEN NABER

New to This but addicted already

KEN NABER

Guys and Gals

first time around the block driving on this old 1960 Suburban 400. On shifting this thing I noticed my 1927 Chevy with no syncros shifts easier. I parked it and went back in house as work called, but wondered about adding oil to the transmission case. Have not found it yet but I think that sae 90 weight oil is the type to add? As far as seals go I am thinking the side case gaskets and axels must have seals , anything else to think about if I want to change those items, any other leak considerations :eusa-think: ? Where to get these?

On shifting I assume that starting in neutral on low idle should be able to engage any gear with minor or no grind. When moving is it possible to shift from 1-2-3? Do you just start out in the gear you want? My other WH is full hydro and 1978, these round nose are new to me.

Ken

Edited by KEN NABER
  • Like 1

stevebo

No shifting on the fly. You need to be at a full stop.

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Engine speed should not be a factor but you must be at a complete stop to shift.

Make sure that the transmission input pulley is coming to a complete stop when the clutch is pushed in. If it is not this is your problem...

Start by checking your belt guard is installed correctly and has not been altered in any way. There should be a little tab that comes off the top of the guard near the engine pulley. When the clutch is depressed it loosens the belt enough that the belt contacts this tab and the friction keeps it from spinning, Also the belt contacts the bottom of the guard to help with this. Often times these parts have been bent or mutilated especially if someone replaced the engine or used a different sized pulley.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Ummm...what '27 Chevy? :wwp:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Ken...yes 90W oil...fill until it starts to run out the fill plug by the axle on the right side of the trans...should take a little more then a quart. Check out this thread, tells you everything else. :) I am in Elgin, and am in the process of rebuilding 4 of these...you are welcome to come out and take a look if you want...I see you are in Chicago.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

KEN NABER

This 1927 Chevrolet

post-8847-0-61557100-1354736393_thumb.jp

• Like 5

pfrederi

Really Nice car. WHs are just like farm tractors of older days dead stop required to shift.

AMC RULES

Nice Chebby Ken, what's the story with that little honey...original to your family?

KEN NABER

Bought it from a guy in kentucky 8 yrs ago, cleaned it up put a trans and clutch and motor work some pait and wal lah

stevasaurus

Beautiful car Ken...is that considered a station wagon? :) Ya...we have to get together...show you my 64' Ford.... :bow-blue: