Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

split the case on the old C160 transaxle

rustyoldjunk

some of you may remember a while back i put a C160 together using a transaxle and engine from another tractor (and the problems i had getting it wired).i pulled the original transaxle out because my father in law said he had broken a pin in it and replaced it with a non hardened bolt that broke again.i split the case (down loaded and printed the wheel horse mech.transaxle repair manual while i was at it) and it all looks ok to me besides some bits and shavings.the only bolts i see in it are the ones holding the differential together.i think i will clean it up,replace the seals and bears and the bolts he used on the differential (he used washers that were to big and hit the gears.),then clean up the 312 frame i have lying around,bolt them together and rebuild the 16hp kohler with the cradle mount and put it on this frame since its already drilled for the cradle.then i will need to find C series sheetmetal.anyway to get back to the topic,those of you that are used to tearing down and rebuilding these transaxles,what things should i be checking inside the case while its apart? on btw,arent those hubs fun to get off? i used a puller to get one,the other i broke (a few times) then cut with my angle grinder to get off.think i will replace them with the newer style thicker hubs when it goes back together.