Sign in to follow this  
CHARGER9AUTO

D-Series vs 953

CHARGER9AUTO

I know you fellows will say the D-Series is well built than the 953 or 1054 over all

with more horse power 20 HP Kohler , 18 HP Onan motors the Large Frame Wheel Horses is rated 0 with only 10 HP to spare . Ben

Rollerman

Ben thats like comparing old apples to new oranges.

To completely differant animals & are both great machines.

The 953 would have been Wheelhorses 1st tractor that was overbuilt for commercial use or larger gardens.

It had a higher clearance & probably pulled a garden plow much better with the 15" rear tires..."I never found out :D "

While the D series were Wheelhorses later commercial rated units with rear PTO cababilty,3 point, seperate front & rear lifts, with a smooth hydro variable speed transmission.

But you can see the progression that led from the 953 up to the D series.

So you can kinda say the 953 is the D series older brother.

Stephen in northern IN

T-Mo

I see this type argument over at wfm some with the 140, 318 and the 420/430 tractors. I think Stephen hit it right on the nail head. Just as the 140 was JD's first attempt into the estate tractor market and the first with hydrostatic transmission and full hydraulics, complete with turning brakes, etc., may say it's the best JD made. So in that regard, the 953 might be the best WH made and just as JD's 318 improved on the 140 design, the D-series WH's improved on the 953 design. Just my 2 cents worth.

Also shouldn't this topic be in the main Wheel Horse Tractor section?

CHARGER9AUTO

Ben thats like comparing old apples to new oranges.

To completely differant animals & are both great machines.

The 953 would have been Wheelhorses 1st tractor that was overbuilt for commercial use or larger gardens.

It had a higher clearance & probably pulled a garden plow much beter with the 15" rear tires..."I never found out :D "

While the D series were Wheelhorses later commercial rated units with rear PTO cababilty,3 point, seperate front & rear lifts, with a smooth hydro variable speed transmission.

But you can see the progression that led from the 953 up to the D series.

So you can kinda say the 953 is the D series older brother.

Stephen in northern IN

Steve, The Wheel Horse 953 had hydro lift and no 3 PT hitch in '63 only on all the D-Series tractors. I understand what your exsplaning to me what the difference is between two machines :P Ben

Rollerman

Ben & Terry I don't want to souind like I'm arguing....I hope not :D

Ben yes the 953 does have a hyd lift on it,while the D's had seperate mid & rear lift though.

With a D you can use your mid & rear attachments independently.

The 953,1054,& 1054A were only available with a slot hitch.

The GT14 were Wheelhorses 2nd generation "large frame" tractor & were the first to have the 3 point hitch.

There all great tractors & Ben your 953 is a nice one!

To be honest...I think I'd rather have a 953....there much easier to park in a cramped garage!

Stephen in northern IN

CHARGER9AUTO

Ben & Terry I don't want to souind like I'm arguing....I hope not :D

Ben yes the 953 does have a hyd lift on it,while the D's had seperate mid & rear lift though.

With a D you can use your mid & rear attachments independently.

The 953,1054,& 1054A were only available with a slot hitch.

The GT14 were Wheelhorses 2nd generation "large frame" tractor & were the first to have the 3 point hitch.

There all great tractors & Ben your 953 is a nice one!

To be honest...I think I'd rather have a 953....there much easier to park in a cramped garage!

Stephen in northern IN

Steve, I like my 953 because they look neat and very hard to find tractor not many around that are for sale . Ben in MA

T-Mo

Stephen,

I'm not as up to date with Wheel Horses yet as I am with JD's as I'm still learning. If I had my choice of a 953 or a D-series or a GT-14, I'm not sure which I would take. I know if it was between JD's I know what I would want. So forgive me if I'm not as fluent in WH talk yet. But I'm getting there, I think.

Rollerman

No problem Terry, again all nice tractors.

But at this point I'd take a 140H3 cause I've had all those horses :D

Stephen in northern IN.....wants something green