Sign in to follow this  
Dion H Daniels

Wheel horse rj and part of a suburban at Grandville Michigan auction on SaturdayDec 1

Dion H Daniels

Well, i thought i would make the 3 1/2 hour trip north to Michigan for my next tractor. I arrived at the auction 1 hour early and i could tell right away it was going to be a bad day. Cars and trucks were already lined up on both sides of the road a mile from the auction site. I made the walk to the auction and waited in line 40 minutes to get a number. I started looking around and could tell this was a very rare and unbelievable auction and i was glad i had made the trip. I went immediately to find the RJ, wow was i disappointed. It looked way better in the pictures but it was restorable and had the sickle mower (that wasnt advertised), so i was still interested. I waited around for about 4 hours, (buying nothing in the meantime) for them to get to the RJ. Finally it was time to bid, i set my limit at $550. The bidding was on and before i knew it, I had raised my hand to $650 like it was nothing. Thats where the bidding stalled for a second, thats also when i remembered the 13% buyers premium. Which means i was into this Rj for over $700, then finally either the auctioneer or the clerk put in a bid of $700 so i was out. Not only was i out of a wheel horse, but the 7 total hours of driving, $100 in gas and 12 hours of my life. I did end up buying a reel mower with a briggs engine for $20. That was my only regret because i had to stand in line for an hour and 15 minutes, with a 20 dollar bill in hand just to pay for it.(poor check in and check out set up for sure) but i love auctions and wheel horse tractors, so i take the good with the bad and have as much fun with it as i can.

• Like 1

Dion H Daniels

Pictures

post-9052-0-12662700-1354463839_thumb.jp

post-9052-0-20693100-1354463857_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Kevbo

I know the feeling...sorry you had to wait but at least it looks like you got to check out some nice tractors!

Jake Kuhn

Was it a rj35? or an rj58?

Dion H Daniels

The cub cadets all sold for way less than the wheel horse. There were hundreds of old snowmobiles and motorcycles plus piles and piles of parts. This was the longest drive i have ever made for an auction, probably be the last time i go that far.

Dion H Daniels

Was a 58 or 59, I would have gone a little higher on a 35

Kelly

Looks like they had a lot of neat old junk, I like them places, reminds me of home.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

I absolutely hate buyers premiums. Its a total ripoff... charging me to spend my money... ive left auctions because of it. its just a shady marketing trick to get the auction job. If they charge the buyers the premium they can offer the client a lower percentage... sometimes zero.

Not much to that suburban, but what did it bring?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Sparky

Is that a GE Elec-Trac in the background of your first pic? That would have been something I would have bid on. I'm very intrigued by the electric tractors.

Any for sale around here are always shot.

Mike........

Dion H Daniels

Sorry, i was so bummed out after not getting the rj that i left before the suburban parts sold. You are right about the buyers premium, it is a rip off, i try to adjust my spending but that doesnt always work.

There were a couple of the electric mowers and a few attachments, i believe they brought right around $200.Keep in mind most of this lawn equipment hadnt really been taken care of and was in poor condition.

Thanks for the questions guys, im a newbie on this forum and trying to figure it all out.

KC9KAS

1st of all, :WRS:

This is the same reason I hate auctions.....Wait for hours to get to the 1 thing I am wanting, bid starts out at 2 times more that my maximum money.

BOWTIE

YES, WE ALL HATE WAITING AROUND FOR WHAT YOUR INTERESTED IN. BUT HOW MAY TIMES HAVE WE LEFT WITH A SMILE ON OUR FACE. I HAVE NEVER WON A TRACTOR WHEN IT IS A FARM AND LAWN EQUPMENT AUCTION. MY BEST BUYS ARE AT ESTATE AUCTIONS WHEN THEY ARE SELLING EVERYTHING EVEN THE KITCHEN SINK.

BOWTIEIN OHIO

Dion H Daniels

This was all one estate, it was just an enormous collection. there were hundreds of old motorcycles,snowmobiles,boat motors,7 heaping wagons full of misc and everything else you could think of.

post-9052-0-66943400-1354508472_thumb.jp

welderman85

Looks like he had some cool stuff.all of the auctions around me that I goto its hard to beat the scrapper.I have over payed for stuff just because I didn't want them to get it.

rmaynard

Interesting story. Sorry about the results.

:WRS:

VinsRJ

RJ prices rise and fall all the time... right now RJ prices are high for some reason... just look at the price the last belt guard sold for on ebay... $270, give me a break.

• Like 2

fireman

It has the solid seat pan on it. Could have been a 59'

Dion H Daniels

Yes, i saw that belt guard for 270 and i dont get it, they arent that uncommon. Whats a bigger joke is the rj listed on ebay yesterday for $1500, i made a reasonable offer and it was immediately declined.

AMC RULES

I know of one sitting at a nearby farmers market, non running and rusty, been sitting outside in the weeds forever...out of curiosity, I made an offer of $200.

They laughed in my face, said the offers usually start at $500, and they've been all the way up to 1K...and they're still not interested in selling. :scared-eek:

VinsRJ

I know of one sitting at a nearby farmers market, non running and rusty, been sitting outside in the weeds forever...out of curiosity, I made an offer of $200.

They laughed in my face, said the offers usually start at $500, and they've been all the way up to 1K...and they're still not interested in selling. :scared-eek:

$500 to $1000 they should have sold... between the $270 belt guard and these these guys.. now you know who you are dealing with.

Back to the subject RJ... did the sickle bar go with the tractor too? If so, then with an all together price for the tractor, mower deck, sickle bar and buyer's premium... IMO anywhere in the $700 to $850 range would hnot have been a bad price.

• Like 1

855ownerJoel

Thats why I hate auctions, people can get carried away. It is interesting how prices can get inflated rather fast and the premium to auction doesn't help. Sorry for the loss, looked like it would have been a great tractor. Hope the person who bought it really appreciates it.

JUSS10

Glad i didn't go. I only live about 10 minutes from the auction and thought about bidding on that machine but wow thats insane. There were a ton of cool things there that i saw in the pictures. But man, thats crazy.

Hammerhead

I'm with Fireman, the seat is a 1960 seat so this could be a late production RJ59. I have one with a seat like that, so I figured it was a late production machine! KJ

Cutlas3391

I hate auctions people get crazy when it comes to bidding reminds me like they have a gambling addiction.