Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

K161 Camshaft Question

rmaynard

My K161-28522 has the two piece camshaft, without ACR. Is there any reason why I can't install a camshaft with ACR?

buckrancher

no but why do you want too both camshafts do the same thing only using different approachs for ease of starting

Brian

rmaynard

I had someone offer me an ACR camshaft (NOS), reasonably priced. I really don't need it, but was just curious about interchangeability.

buckrancher

you could buy it and keep it in stock I'm sure you will find a use for it someday Bob

For those who do not know

the older style camshaft ( two piece) retards the ingition timing for ease of starting

The ACR style releaves some compression for ease of starting

Both styles are for manual recoil starting not for electric start

Both styles use flyweights attached to the back of the gear on the camshaft to operate

The older two piece style retards the ignition spark to fire after top dead center this makes the motor easier to pull start

once the engine fires the speed of rotation throws the flyweights out on the back of the cam gear and rotates the point cam lobe to advanced position or before top dead center

the acr camshaft uses weights to hold a small tab on the valve cam lobe to keep the exhaust valve open a crack until just about top dead center of the piston stroke to remove most of the engines compression when the

engine starts the speed of rotation throws the flyweights out and drops the small tab holding the exhaust valve up on compression stroke to give the engine it's full compression

Brian

Edited by buckrancher
  • Like 1

dbartlett1958

Brian,

That was a GREAT explanation.

Thank you.

David

specialwheelhorse

Just wish I could explan things that well !!!

The old goof from Texas JIM