Sign in to follow this  
dkmorgen

1988 520-h blade speed

dkmorgen

hello all my 1st horse i found a non running 1988 520-h for 100 bucks "wahoo"

after about 2 hours working on it i got it running great "cleaned carb, fuel tank, fresh gas, oil,plugs,

and of course a safety switch" that needed some sand paper on it. also belts

my problem is when i mow the blades seem that they are not running at a high enough rpm

i doesnt throw grass it just falls within 2 feet of the exit chute an lays there like i used a bushhog

belts a tight not slipping have wrecked myslef silly trying to figure this out for a week now

any ideas

many thanks inadvance

Sparky

Are you using the inner pulley on the pto? The outer pulley will spin the deck a bit slower than the inner pulley. Is the engine running at 3600 RPM's?

And of course..... :WRS: !

Mike........

JackC

What deck are you using? Have you taken the deck off the tractor and cleaned and lubricated it? Also, grease and grass can build up in the belt tension mechanism and prevent the pulleys from spinning and working properly. Also the belt from the PTO must be installed correctly on the two pulleys on the front mule drive. The wide side of the belt rides on the wide pulley and the v side of the belt rides in the narrow pulley. The belt tension knob should be fairly snug.

Wheel-N-It

All kidding aside. Are the blades upside down?

55farmall

When I bought my 520 hc one of the blade was on upside down

BOWTIE

CHECK THE DECK SPINDLE BELT. MAKE SURE THE TENSIONER IS FLOATING LIKE IT SHOULD. THE OUTER BLADES MAY BE FREE WHEELING SOME.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

varosd

:text-welcomeconfetti: :wwp: Welcome to the Madness

dkmorgen

sorry guys had to go out of town on rather short notice

its the 42 inch deck, pto belt good an snug

i checked all everyone posted i am using the outer pulley will change that to the

inner pulley an post results, just going by the tach on the machine it is running @ 3600 rpm.

also when i put the new belts on i checked an lubed an cleaned the deck, blades turned freely.

belt from pto is install correctly an double checked. blades i will check tommorrow when i change

the pto belt to the inner pulley but almost positive they are right " it got dark on me not much daylight left after i get off work"

the tension mechanism seemed kind of week but that was almost dark when i checked

i will make the ckecks an change the pulley tommorrow an let you know an try to get some pics to post

but still a good deal @ 100 bucks for my 1st machine

TT

Is the PTO clutch linkage adjusted properly? The engagement lever should 'snap' over center firmly.

I recommend inspecting the friction surfaces of the PTO clutch disc and pulley too.