stevebo

Stepped up to a 56 Ride Away Senior

stevebo

Guys-

If you remember a few years ago my next door neighbor took some really nice photos of the RJ35's. I usually do not ask him to take pics of my tractors however I asked if he would take some of the SR. Last night she got a mystery oil bath and today she was gently scrubbed using the oil and soft scotchbrite pad. I then degreased it and washed it with soap and water. Here are a few pics just after it was washed. The old girl really cleaned up well.

12.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

15.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

• Like 1

Wheelhorse84

She's a beauty. I've never seen one in person how would you compare it's size to other models.

stevebo

It is about the same size as my economy. The rear tires are 8-16 if that gives you an idea.

Kevbo

Wow! :grin: You did a great job cleaning it up!! stevebo could you explain the process of a "mystery oil bath"? :text-imnewhere:

stevebo

This is a long story.... some call it "salad dressing" lol. When I have a tractor that is "crusty" I spray a light oil on it and use tranny fluid and acetone lightly brushed on moving parts to get them moving again. The oil soaks in and helps remove the crusty rust etc. I then use a brush and scotchbrite pad to smooth everything out. After I wash it down with degreaser and water to remove the heavy oil. I blow it dry and then go back and used a very light coat of the oil (mystry oil, wd-40 etc) and wipe it off. When you apply the oil it pulls out the original color.

This is a much talked about process. Others have clearcoated over the original patina with much success and others will not even consider putting any type of oil on they're tractors. It is personal preference. I prefer this method. :)

Jake Kuhn

That cleaned up great! :text-coolphotos:

fireman

Steve that looks awesome!

Kevbo

Steve I like your method. I will be sure to save the process you just described for my own use! How much acetone and tranny fluid do you mix together? Do you put this ratio in a spraybottle? What type of tranny fluid? I will have to try using marvel mystery oil in a spray bottle to coat my tractors after they are washed (I have used WD-40 in the past).

Kevbo

I found this very interesting post on the internet to back up Steve! :handgestures-thumbupright:

"Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break

out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective

test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque

required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil .......... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ............ 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............... 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix............ 53 pounds

The Automatic Transmission fluid (ATF)-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic

transmission fluid and acetone."

stevebo

This is kinda cool that my neighbor did. This is a picture of a farm just up the road from us.

untitled.jpg

Ken B

That would make a nice Christmas card!

VinsRJ

Steve I like your method. I will be sure to save the process you just described for my own use! How much acetone and tranny fluid do you mix together? Do you put this ratio in a spraybottle? What type of tranny fluid? I will have to try using marvel mystery oil in a spray bottle to coat my tractors after they are washed (I have used WD-40 in the past).

Don't try standing near your tractor afterwards... no matter how hard you try that crap gets onto every article of clothing you own.

Hammerhead

Wow what a haul! Very nice Sr. I'd clean it up and oil it down and keep it original, but I always say that! LOL! There's alot of red paint under that rust. I use 4 OOOO steel wool on most of my tractors, that's as FINE of steel wool as they make. Lots of WD40 helps too. You can even use a fine wire wheel on a drill to get the scale rust off of the rearend and big stuff like the frame. Just don't get too crazy with it. You will be amazed at all the paint that will show up all of a sudden. Way to go, I figured your Wife would say it was HER birthday tractor! Keith

Ken B

I'd like to see a picture of the Economy and the Senior together for comparison purposes. A shot of the Senior and your oldest RJ together would be pretty cool as well....

fireman

Steve do something like this:

post-1626-0-99916000-1354637968_thumb.jp

buckrancher

looks really awesome Steve

but why do I keep getting a craving for a wedge of lettuce :ychain:

brian

neil

Is there any difference in rim size of rear wheels  as those with the short spokes to those with the long spokes .

Does anyone know why they were different ?

stevebo

From what I was told the short spokes had the rear brake drums from the V8 cars and the longer ones were the smaller motor cars. (model A)

stevebo

I finally decided to take the next step to get the primer off and it is coming out great. 

IMG_6588.JPG

IMG_6590.JPG

• Like 6

stevebo

I think this is the finished product. May work on it a little more but overall I think it looks much better. 

IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_5656.JPG

IMG_6640.JPG

IMG_6652.JPG

IMG_6657.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

IMG_6661.JPG

• Like 9

rmaynard

That looks great Steve. :handgestures-thumbupright: 

• Like 1

TDF5G

That looks great!  Mighty fine! I like it! :handgestures-thumbupright:

WHX??

:handgestures-thumbupright: What product is on the tires?

stevebo
1 hour ago, WHX11 said:

:handgestures-thumbupright: What product is on the tires?

Just an auto spray on like black magic or something like that I think. 

ebinmaine

Lovely piece of machinery